Who knew!

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
5mths in and i still consider being newly diagnosed with LADA 1.5 diabetes.

Well tit bits of what I think is very important info, have filtered through, but not from medical professionals.

For instance, I found out this week when injecting stomach, we all know to alternate sides, but did you know it's because fatty tissue builds up and it's hard for the insulin to get into system!!

Also found out diabetics cannot have massages!! my all time favourite thing to have... it's even on my bday list lol.

Anyone else have anything to share that would be useful to a newbie?

Thanks

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can see why a massage may cause issues with absorption etc, but I think in the modern day with pumps and analogue insulin's, it doesn't really apply.....

So you should have your birthday massage.... ;)

Reactions: Mags H

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also found out diabetics cannot have massages!! my all time favourite thing to have... it's even on my bday list lol.

Thanks

My Physio would beg to differ.... thank god for deep massage... though at the time I do wonder :)

Reactions: Mags H and slip

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Mags H There are certainly lots of things to learn, most importantly for a newbie is to get knowledgeable, learn as much as you can, knowledge is power with diabetes. Massages are only an issue for the insurance of those providing the service, they tend to put in disclaimers to cover their backs.

Mags H

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay due to confusion actually rang and spoke to the lady I use for massages, she says it down to you, if you were to be scratched or easily bruised during treatment it will take longer to heal etc, but if you sign their form she is happy to treat. Rang diabetes nurse at hosp, she has never heard of the restriction and she asked a colleague who never heard of it... so to your own discretion safe to carry on! Sorry for the false alarm or fake news people lol

Reactions: Petaluk and Juicyj

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if you were to be scratched or easily bruised during treatment it will take longer to heal etc, but if you sign their form she is happy to treat.

This is the therapists way of covering themselves......

a diabetic by default doesn't take longer to heal......if control is stable then any additional time to heal may be negligible if not non existent......;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
5mths in and i still consider being newly diagnosed with LADA 1.5 diabetes.

Well tit bits of what I think is very important info, have filtered through, but not from medical professionals.

For instance, I found out this week when injecting stomach, we all know to alternate sides, but did you know it's because fatty tissue builds up and it's hard for the insulin to get into system!!

Anyone else have anything to share that would be useful to a newbie?

Thanks
Why on Earth not? That's nonsense.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mags H There are certainly lots of things to learn, most importantly for a newbie is to get knowledgeable, learn as much as you can, knowledge is power with diabetes. Massages are only an issue for the insurance of those providing the service, they tend to put in disclaimers to cover their backs.
I was going to suggest too that it might be an insurance type issue...

Robbity

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
51 years on insulin; I used to get fat pads if I injected in the same or similar spot of my tummy. The older insulins were really unreliable with regard to absorption for me anyway but I learnt to stay away from old injection sites. On the newer insulins much less variability in effect for me. but fat pads could still develop if I was not careful. Same applies now that I was on an insulin pump. The only issue for massage for me now is that I have to disconnect the insulin pump for the half to one hour of the massage AND tape down the remaining insulin port so that it is not disturbed by massage. I walk to the massage appmt and find that the exercise seems to balance out the time without the insulin pump infusing.