Who to donate to?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're asking for donations instead of flowers at my Brother-in-Law's funeral.
Not really sure the best place to send it.
Don't suppose it'll be a great deal but it would be nice to get it somewhere suitable.
I've found this...
Anyone any experience of it? Or is there somewhere better?

I did send a message via this sites contact page on Tuesday or Wednesday last week but received no reply.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
People tend to donate to a charity related to what the person died of, ie. my dad died of a heart attack, donations went to heart foundation but I dont think it matters, a good cause is a good cause at the end of the day, sorry for your loss :(

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you want donations to go to a UK charity rather than an American one? I googled "diabetes charity UK" and came up with several. (Not being anti-American, but just if you live in the UK it seems more reasonable to support UK charities!)

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People tend to donate to a charity related to what the person died of, ie. my dad died of a heart attack, donations went to heart foundation but I dont think it matters, a good cause is a good cause at the end of the day, sorry for your loss :(

We're waiting for a post mortem but this is a post I put on last week.....
Here

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're asking for donations instead of flowers at my Brother-in-Law's funeral.
Not really sure the best place to send it.
Don't suppose it'll be a great deal but it would be nice to get it somewhere suitable.
I've found this...
Anyone any experience of it? Or is there somewhere better?

I did send a message via this sites contact page on Tuesday or Wednesday last week but received no reply.
https://jdrf.org.uk
These guys seem to do good work

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry for your loss - I found small local charities for donations when my mum and mother in law died, they weren't necessarily connected with them but we felt it would be nice for small charities who usually miss out and use a lot less of the donated money on running the charity such as admin and wages to benefit.

Do whatever you feel is right (())

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you want donations to go to a UK charity rather than an American one? I googled "diabetes charity UK" and came up with several. (Not being anti-American, but just if you live in the UK it seems more reasonable to support UK charities!)

You're right, the link I posted was actually US based. I would prefer UK.
The reason I asked on here is that the philosophy for managing diabetes is one I agree with so recommendations from the folks here may be suitable.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry for your loss - I found small local charities for donations when my mum and mother in law died, they weren't necessarily connected with them but we felt it would be nice for small charities who usually miss out and use a lot less of the donated money on running the charity such as admin and wages to benefit.

Do whatever you feel is right (())

That's a good point, perhaps I'll look at something local.
What I want to avoid is supporting a group that offers advice I disagree with (carby diets for example).

Reactions: lovinglife

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I do all my fundraising for JDRF as they are actively seeking and investing in research for a cure, they also help in t1 education and supporting children in schools as well as managing events for t1's and their families to meet up across the UK.

Reactions: Jo_the_boat

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good point, perhaps I'll look at something local.
What I want to avoid is supporting a group that offers advice I disagree with (carby diets for example).
I totally understand your thinking - the one we did for our mum was a local support group for children with autism (not the NAS). It's run by volunteers and all the money raised is used to put on weeekly meetings for parents and loads and loads of activities and trips for the little ones who miss out in school hols etc. The one for MIL was very similar but for local pensioners. It also made us feel that our loved ones weren't just a faceless donation but made a massive difference

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right, the link I posted was actually US based. I would prefer UK.
The reason I asked on here is that the philosophy for managing diabetes is one I agree with so recommendations from the folks here may be suitable.

Indeed. I was just checking before I threw my tuppence worth in!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-charities.html lists a few. I've donated to the Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation and the Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust in the past - both of which are on that list. (In the days when I wasn't diabetic but supported students who were, I gave up biscuits, cake, sweets and chocolate for Lent, saved the money for a charity of their choice and they chose those two for me!)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess my suggestion would be to consider the things your BiL loved and places he liked to be, or particularly places that looked after him during his life.

Local hospitals usually have a charity of some sort. This is our local one: https://www.leicesterhospitalscharity.org.uk/ I'm not suggesting you donate to a random place, but just illustrating what I mean.

JDRF do good work, as do bodies such as the NIHR who, although publicly funded always need peripheral or social stuff. If you looked on the national research database, you might find a study you might like to gift some money too.

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/nihr-in-your-area/

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to everyone. I'll have a good look locally first, particularly something that increases awareness in youngsters. My Bil's story is pretty complicated but his most obvious difficulties stemmed from diabetes. It's there I'll look, close to home. Thanks all again.

Reactions: Juicyj

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to update...
I have decided on JDRF (Juvelile Diabetes Research Fund).
This month is World Diabetes Month and Wednesday 8th November is World Diabetes Day which is featured on JDRF's website.
https://jdrf.org.uk/world-diabetes-day-2018/ if you're interested.

As regards something local, I may try and set something up. The tricky bit seems to be to get the information out there in a way that makes people take some notice without boring them to tears. There is a certain amount of antipahy in anyone not directly affected by diabetes.

Funeral Thursday where I'm delivering a 10 minute eulogy. Bit nervous. Blimey!

Anyway, thanks.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to update...
This month is World Diabetes Month and Wednesday 8th November is World Diabetes Day which is featured on JDRF's website.

As regards something local, I may try and set something up. The tricky bit seems to be to get the information out there in a way that makes people take some notice without boring them to tears. There is a certain amount of antipahy in anyone not directly affected by diabetes.

Anyway, thanks.

Be thinking of you on Thursday.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Speak from the heart. People respond far more to that more than rehearsed dialigue

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speak from the heart. People respond far more to that more than rehearsed dialigue

I've MCd sportsmans dinners for 500 people. No problem. This is different altogether.
I'm a bit of an emotional old git so have had to take some 'trigger' words out of my (well rehearsed) script, like goodbye - not great at a funeral. I've had to put jokey stories in, which is good, and leave some unpleasant stuff out.
I'll have a crib sheet with me, including photos of Maurice Flitcroft whose obituary always makes me laugh. HERE
I'll be nervous and it's a bit early for my daily bottle of wine!

Reactions: Mike d
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just to update...

Anyway, thanks.

Hi, I hope all goes well on Thursday and the JDFR diabetes Charity is very close to my heart, as my granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 aged 2 1/2 yrs, I remember getting her a Rufus Bear which had injection patches sewn on and I found JDRF very helpful and supportive.
Take care.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've MCd sportsmans dinners for 500 people. No problem. This is different altogether.
I'm a bit of an emotional old git so have had to take some 'trigger' words out of my (well rehearsed) script, like goodbye - not great at a funeral. I've had to put jokey stories in, which is good, and leave some unpleasant stuff out.
I'll have a crib sheet with me, including photos of Maurice Flitcroft whose obituary always makes me laugh. HERE
I'll be nervous and it's a bit early for my daily bottle of wine!

Nice choice of charity Jo.

At funerals, I'm hopeless. I'm usually leaking from the eyes as I park, never mind during the confounded things.

For me, the goodbye thing is always a kicker, to the extent that when talking about my Mother's funeral and subsequent reception, I trained myself to think of it as her "last hurrah", and a time for family and friends to say kind thing, be nice to each other and remember her fondly. That helped me a bit and helped me ensure, where possible, we tried to focus on the happy times and the positive memories.

Good luck on Thursday. It's a hard, hard day.

Finally, roughly, where are you based Jo? Do I recall Northants somehow?