Whole grain Wheetabix

Saur

I am trying to cut on carbs but finding it very difficult. What effect does ordinary cereal has compared to wholewheat cereal with regards to blood spikes. I have been attending the Diabetes Preventation programme and was advised not to monitor my blood sugar on Pre-diabetes.
Apart from omelettes can anybody give ideas on breakfast. I am getting bored with yoghurt, porridge.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Saur

Unfortunately I think you’ve been given poor advice not to test your blood. The only way you’ll know the different effects of various cereals (and indeed any foods) have on your blood sugar levels is to test them before and after eating.

Speaking personally I haven’t found any difference between ‘ordinary’ and ‘whole grain’ cereal (or other carbs) in terms of blood sugar rises.

For breakfast you can eat anything you’d eat at anytime of day. Bacon, eggs, cheese, full-fat, plain Greek yoghurt (perhaps with a few berries), some nuts, would all be good options if you’re looking for traditional breakfast foods.

I’ll tag @Rachox as you mentioned porridge and she has a low carb recipe for that. She also has some useful links about blood testing meters.

Editing to add a link to some helpful information for newbies, in case no-one else has sent it to you.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Without a glucose monitor you will not learn whether a particular food raises your levels too highly. That which raises my levels may not raise yours. In my opinion the colour of the carb makes no difference, it will still get you in the end.
Wholewheat or wholemeal just means milled rather than fully processed.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a moderately low carb porridge recipe, much lower than weetabix.
I started with more oatbran but gradually replaced that with extra flaxseed as I got used to it.
Currently I have 2 rounded desert spoons of milled flaxseed with one of chia seeds and one of oatbran. I cook this in a cup of water and a spoonful of coconut milk for 2.5 mins in a microwave, then add a little salt and cinnamon with enough boiling water to get the right consistency (not adding all the water at first stops it from boiling over).
Served with double cream.
Sometimes I add a drop of natural maple syrup essence and some crushed walnuts. You can also add vanilla

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying to cut on carbs but finding it very difficult. What effect does ordinary cereal has compared to wholewheat cereal with regards to blood spikes. I have been attending the Diabetes Preventation programme and was advised not to monitor my blood sugar on Pre-diabetes.
Apart from omelettes can anybody give ideas on breakfast. I am getting bored with yoghurt, porridge.
Scrambled egg cooked with cream. Great. Maybe on some low carb toast.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Saur
I can understand you getting bored with eggs and omelettes all the time.

How about cooking up a pack of sausages and then keeping them in the fridge until you want them? One or two heated up in the microwave just takes a minute.
Or heat up leftovers from the night before?
Or cold meat and cheese slices?
Or a greek yog, peanut butter and avocado smoothie?

Nowadays I rarely eat breakfast (I forget most of the time!) but I used to eat it every day, and have been low carbing for long enough that I kind of broke through all the psychological barriers about what you should, and shouldn't eat in the mornings.

We had a fab time a few years ago when I was doing some Low Carb baking for Mr B, when we were having cake for breakfast. With cream. And what a breakfast it was! lol.

His favourite was a brick like coffee and walnut cake with butter and erythritol 'butter cream' icing. He swore that a slice of that kept him going for around 8 hours. :hilarious:
My favourite was the Stracciatella cake (recipe on this forum, if you do a search) with chocolate grated into it.
There are many delicious low carb muffin, mug cake, cookie and cake recipes out there on the internet, and some of them only take a couple of minutes to prepare.

I mean, choc cake for brekkie? And all low carb too? That is just a win win situation.
Of course, low carb baking is usually made with sweeteners and ground almonds or coconut, so it needs to be portion controlled if you are trying to lose weight, but it is also usually very low carb. I think the two cakes mentioned above have around 6-8g carbs a slice. Not that Mr B restricted himself to normal portion sizes.

Saur

Hello @Saur

Unfortunately I think you’ve been given poor advice not to test your blood. The only way you’ll know the different effects of various cereals (and indeed any foods) have on your blood sugar levels is to test them before and after eating.

Speaking personally I haven’t found any difference between ‘ordinary’ and ‘whole grain’ cereal (or other carbs) in terms of blood sugar rises.

For breakfast you can eat anything you’d eat at anytime of day. Bacon, eggs, cheese, full-fat, plain Greek yoghurt (perhaps with a few berries), some nuts, would all be good options if you’re looking for traditional breakfast foods.

I’ll tag @Rachox as you mentioned porridge and she has a low carb recipe for that. She also has some useful links about blood testing meters.

Editing to add a link to some helpful information for newbies, in case no-one else has sent it to you.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.
Hello @Saur

Thankyou for your prompt reply. Advis
Without a glucose monitor you will not learn whether a particular food raises your levels too highly. That which raises my levels may not raise yours. In my opinion the colour of the carb makes no difference, it will still get you in the end.
Thanks for your feedback.
Few people can eat processed breakfast cereal without an unhealthy spike in blood sugar.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...el-glucose-spikes-seen-in-healthy-people.html[/
I had been eating Weetabix for most of my life, including the 18 years of being diabetic. Never knew how badly it caused BS spikes until I got the libre. needless to say I have it very rarely now.
I have two wholemeal chapattis with dinner ever night. I thought this was much better than white chapatti four. I am not a lover of rice. Any advise will be welcome.
Scrambled egg cooked with cream. Great. Maybe on some low carb toast.
Thankyou everyone for your support.
@Saur
I can understand you getting bored with eggs and omelettes all the time.

How about cooking up a pack of sausages and then keeping them in the fridge until you want them? One or two heated up in the microwave just takes a minute.
Or heat up leftovers from the night before?
Or cold meat and cheese slices?
Or a greek yog, peanut butter and avocado smoothie?

Nowadays I rarely eat breakfast (I forget most of the time!) but I used to eat it every day, and have been low carbing for long enough that I kind of broke through all the psychological barriers about what you should, and shouldn't eat in the mornings.

We had a fab time a few years ago when I was doing some Low Carb baking for Mr B, when we were having cake for breakfast. With cream. And what a breakfast it was! lol.

His favourite was a brick like coffee and walnut cake with butter and erythritol 'butter cream' icing. He swore that a slice of that kept him going for around 8 hours. :hilarious:
My favourite was the Stracciatella cake (recipe on this forum, if you do a search) with chocolate grated into it.
There are many delicious low carb muffin, mug cake, cookie and cake recipes out there on the internet, and some of them only take a couple of minutes to prepare.

I mean, choc cake for brekkie? And all low carb too? That is just a win win situation.
Of course, low carb baking is usually made with sweeteners and ground almonds or coconut, so it needs to be portion controlled if you are trying to lose weight, but it is also usually very low carb. I think the two cakes mentioned above have around 6-8g carbs a slice. Not that Mr B restricted himself to normal portion sizes.
Thankyou so much for your input.

Reactions: 1spuds

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, you are not alone in struggling to find variety at breakfast! I’ve found a low carb cracker in Lidle. Rivercote rye crispbread.
It’s only 6 carbs and with various spreads makes for a change.

Saur

Hi, you are not alone in struggling to find variety at breakfast! I’ve found a low carb cracker in Lidle. Rivercote rye crispbread.
It’s only 6 carbs and with various spreads makes for a change.
Thankyou, its very nice of you to share.

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
Just shows how different we all r
I have 3 weetabix every morning for breakfast for the last6 weeks with t spoon of stevia sugar and semi skim milk and I never have much of a spike. I just wish I could eat some sort of bread but my god my bs going belistic

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have 3 weetabix every morning for breakfast for the last6 weeks with t spoon of stevia sugar and semi skim milk and I never have much of a spike. I just wish I could eat some sort of bread but my god my bs going belistic
and that is the difference between someone on insulin, and pre-diabetic type 2 like the OP @Saur

Reactions: Energize

Saur

You are lucky with the weetabix. I love cereals & fruit but have to go easy on both.