Why do I feel the need to justify my diabetes?

tulip87

Have now been diabetic for over a year.

Had a very weird diagnosis process: GP said I was type 2, hospital said type 1, antibodies suggested otherwise so they said type 2, and my consultant now considers me a MODY. The two genetic tests they did came back negative but he says this in no way discounts it, as many genes not found yet, and I'm a typical candidate (family history, well controlled on sulfs, young age of onset [21], BMI 19 etc etc).

However because I don't have an actual gene found I do often find I feel a bit of a fraud almost. I'm really not quite sure, I just want to know exactly what is going on.

Tied in with this I also find I constantly feel the need to justify my diabetes if it comes up I have it. People say one of two things (often one question leads to the other):
a) "type 1/insulin dependent?" and obviously as I'm not I say no, I'm lucky my pancreas still produces insulin etc etc. But then they tend to make me feel really invalid, and are like "oh, it's not that big a deal then" or something. I never know how to react to that - to me it is a big deal, and life altering, but yes I suppose it could be worse. Or they seem to act like because it's not type 1 it's my fault
b) "but you're too young/thin" at which point I explain not everyone who gets diabetes is overweight or older.

However I just don't know what to say I am when asked. Am ashamed to admit it, but I don't like to say I'm type 2, because in a way I feel I'm not - for one thing I don't have any of the classic criteria and am definitely definitely not insulin resistant. Although I tend to say "type 2, genetic form, I'm not typical" and just smile when they go on about how it therefore doesn't matter. However is MODY officially classified as a type 2 variation? In which case I should get used to saying I am a type 2?

Argh, sorry this is so long and complicated. Central to all this, the big deal is WHY any of this even bothers me. Do I want people to feel sorry for me? (I hope not, but perhaps deep down that's what it is - I don't want them to think they can eat sweets and cake etc in front of me and not even acknowledge I can't have that. Or them to think I'm drunk when hypo, or whatever).

It's getting me stressed and down :(

jopar

I would tell them you a MODY... Then explain the difference between MODY and T2 diabetes..

If I remember rightly MODY can be treated either by insulin or oral medication, and sometimes you start with oral then go onto insulin at a later stage if needed...

Its sad that we have to explain ourselves, even those of us who are the traditional T1 diabetics...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi tulip87.

Here is a link to a very informative site with plenty of information about MODY.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14047009.php

It's American but it is good information.
That is what you are. It's not Type 1 and it's not Type 2, so you are a rare being. Tell them that and they might just say what ? They might just sit up and take notice then. :D

Don't get down about it, get cracking and learn all you can about it. Starting today, this is what you need to do. You will get great help and support from all sections here.

valattrevear

Dislikes
Vegetables!
tulip, whatever tag they hang on you you are tulip, and you certainly don't have to justify yourself to ANYONE. You may be Tulip who is diabetic, or you may be tulip who is a real laugh, or you may even be tulip who is absolutely mad, lol, but at the end of the day if you like yourself, what does it matter about others :lol: :lol: If people insist on knowing get them to google the whole deal and educate themselves, they may feel differently then :twisted:
Val