Why do I get suicidal when i have a severe hypo?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I mean I won’t lie I am severely depressed already but when I have a hypo I say I wanna kill myself? I don’t act on it or think of how I’ll do it , I simply I say “I wanna kill myself”
For me, with lower and worse hypos, everything seems doom and gloom to me. Thankfully this clears up shortly after getting my BG above 4 again.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I too suffer from depression and have dark thoughts but unlike you if my levels are very low, below 2.5, then the instinct to survive kicks in and i still over treat even after 50 years......i assume as i'm not thinking logically this is why i do it......if i'm low at around 3.5 then i am thinking logically and have the necessary number of jelly babies.

I operate quite well on low readings and am lucky that i've never passed out.

Its a strange subject depression and suicide and people get a bit nervous discussing it but i have dealt with it for that long its quite normal for me and am happy to chat about it if i can help ?

Good luck

Tony

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I mean I won’t lie I am severely depressed already but when I have a hypo I say I wanna kill myself? I don’t act on it or think of how I’ll do it , I simply I say “I wanna kill myself”
Type 2, and it has been quite a while since I was on medication that caused hypo's, but I do remember being very self-destructive when I got low. I've lived with a longing for death since I was 4 or so, and with being low affecting brain function, well... I'm not surprised you might end up feeling the way you do. You're certainly not alone.

I just hope you'll continue to not cross the line from thinking/saying into acting upon it.
Hugs,
Jo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ariaxo

I get similar too when low, I feel complete despair sometimes when low, I have to keep telling myself it will pass but it's a horrible side effect, I think it's linked to the fight or flight effect of running low and glucose stores being depleted in the brain, we just don't think rationally when low..