Why don’t they tell me what to do

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Adopting a Low Carb way of eating doesn't conflict at all with taking Metformin, though it's more difficult when on stronger glucose reducing meds such as insulin , glic and SGLT2's.

Last edited:
Reactions: chani111
M

Member496333

Last conversation I had with a GP left me with the very distinct impression they no longer tell people what to do because they’re not allowed to tell the truth. It was made obvious to me that they cannot openly approve of any strategy that doesn’t involve Eat Well. I’m sure there are exceptions but they’re probably few and far between.

chani111

Well I managed to only eat 83g carbs today and that was painless to tell the truth. Looking forward to really getting to grips with this. I would really like to lose the weight and hopefully eventually come off the drugs if I can.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great chani111! It is painless to follow low carb & actually enjoyable. You'll be surprised how low you'll actually eat sometimes. I thought I was still having around the 70g mark, but it is actually far lower. I was diagnosed in May, HbA1c was 91 no actual advice, but was given Metformin the same as you, plus Atorvastatin. I changed how I was eating straight away, not low carb though & then I found this forum & just read for hours a day. I borrowed a glucose meter & tested umpteen times a day to see how I was reacting to different foods. Had my three month HbA1c down to 43, it had all worked. Dr called to say whatever I was doing, keep doing it & I said low carb & all was good. I asked the diabetic nurse for a monitor, she said yes after I said it was using a monitor that aided the drop, then asked my GP for test strips on prescription, she said yep, apparently it's a rarity for T2s to get that. Also, Metformin doesn't disagree with me, so I don't mind staying on it for now. If you're the same, see how you go & think about coming off it later on down the road. So, Chani111, you may want to buy some more test strips for your monitor (then ask your DN or Doc once they see the results ;)) , as it gets a tad addictive finding how you react. Just don't study your finger tips. ;) And keep reading the forum. Welcome to the club!

chani111

Great chani111! It is painless to follow low carb & actually enjoyable. You'll be surprised how low you'll actually eat sometimes. I thought I was still having around the 70g mark, but it is actually far lower. I was diagnosed in May, HbA1c was 91 no actual advice, but was given Metformin the same as you, plus Atorvastatin. I changed how I was eating straight away, not low carb though & then I found this forum & just read for hours a day. I borrowed a glucose meter & tested umpteen times a day to see how I was reacting to different foods. Had my three month HbA1c down to 43, it had all worked. Dr called to say whatever I was doing, keep doing it & I said low carb & all was good. I asked the diabetic nurse for a monitor, she said yes after I said it was using a monitor that aided the drop, then asked my GP for test strips on prescription, she said yep, apparently it's a rarity for T2s to get that. Also, Metformin doesn't disagree with me, so I don't mind staying on it for now. If you're the same, see how you go & think about coming off it later on down the road. So, Chani111, you may want to buy some more test strips for your monitor (then ask your DN or Doc once they see the results ;)) , as it gets a tad addictive finding how you react. Just don't study your finger tips. ;) And keep reading the forum. Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the welcome and I will be following your road over the coming months whilst I get my weight down to a bmi of 25. Got just under 2 stone to go. I use a great little app called Nutracheck to log all my food and it’s set to count carbs so it doesn’t get any simpler. I am due to go and see my nurse in 4 weeks time. Only difficult week I have got coming is the week I am going to stay at Portmeirion and eat in a hotel which will be a bit tricky but I know enough now to choose wisely I think.
Looking forward to getting my monitor and I think I am likely to get get addicted to testing sending lots of positive vibes your way thank you

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Well done jessj that's a great turnaround in just a few months! I sort of feel 'cheated' as I had my first review recently at my new Practice ... and had cut my numbers from 67/68 down to 37, but I'd not had a review for three years, (and that was with my former Practice 80 miles away) so this DN didn't know me (or realise what I'd achieved in only 7 weeks) So I got no praise or congratulations from her and she seemed very matter-of-fact about my numbers. I know I didn't do it for praise, but how I wish it had been with my former DN because it is a boost to be told that you are beating this!

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Last conversation I had with a GP left me with the very distinct impression they no longer tell people what to do because they’re not allowed to tell the truth. It was made obvious to me that they cannot openly approve of any strategy that doesn’t involve Eat Well. I’m sure there are exceptions but they’re probably few and far between.
That's because PHE is part of the NHS and the quango SACN who 'invented' the Eat Well Plate is part of PHE and SACN relies on university 'research' funded by the food industry and carbs are their most profitable food. You couldn't make it up but it's only our health so who cares....

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@chani111, good for you charting your progress on an app. I don't, I just keep a running draft email to chart my progress (I must send it to myself & start a new one). Once you see your averages going down, it will really encourage you & the feeling of lbs dropping off too of course. Enjoy your stay in Portmeirion & you should be fine with the menu as they're likely to have several choices. Happy testing!

Thank you, @coby. I'm sorry you didn't get the praise you deserved, but very well done you! Must admit, I didn't until I spoke to my GP about something totally different & it did make me feel good. Especially as I was disappointed with the bland text message telling me my result. We might be adults, but we still need any praise to keep us going & knowing we are doing all right.

chani111

Found a great recipe for low carb bread. I t’s nice to have something to stack the protein on
IMG_2321.jpg
IMG_2322.jpg

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
This is very useful thank you, I think I am going to start at 130g and drop it slowly as I learn and adjust. I have ordered my BG monitor so if I am going to to readings just before food and 2 hours after what am I aiming for. This is the bit that scares me tbh. Should I also tell my GP as presently I am on metformin 1000mgs morning and evening? If things improve, surely this might need to change as my weight drops and I eat less carbs?
I’m sure your doctor will do the a1c blood test regularly at first which will show him how your bloods are behaving in the last 3 months - so he will adjust your medication accordingly. Xxx.