Why is my blood sugar level higher in the morning?

U2fan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with T2 three weeks ago, and I'm on 3 x Metformin tablets a day. I've cut down on carbs and sugar (lost 7lbs!), and I've managed to get my blood sugar levels down to between 5 and 7 (it was 14 on the day I was told I have diabetes). However, I've been finding that my blood sugar levels are higher in the morning than they are when I go to bed, e.g. it was 5.5 last night but 6.4 this morning. Is that something that I should be concerned about?

Thank you, Cathy

Reactions: 4 people

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about it too much. I have the same problem. At the start my fasting levels went down but then they started to rise and be fairly erratic in the morning. They've continued like that but my HbA1c is absolutely fine. As long as glucose levels are lower most of the time the morning ones don't mean much and 6.4 is not too bad anyway. unfortunately docs seem to think FBGs are stable and indicative but they are not. I've had FBGs between 4.8 and 6.9 and I can't work out much of a pattern as to why they vary. Alcohol the night before tends to lower it as liver is too busy dealing with alcohol to make glucose but it's not recommended as a way to lower it! :)

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4's not a bad morning reading Cathy. Could be you're getting a liver dump before you wake up - are you having a snack of any sort before you go to bed?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I wouldn't give it much thought at all...all kinds stuff goes on in the body when you're not eating...and it is a common misconception that blood sugar is lowest on waking - it seldom is. My levels on waking are very similar unless I manage a week of less than 25 carbs and 2.5 litres of fluid a day...but usually I sneak in a little bit of chocolate or an ice lolly (what?). I think you should focus on how very well you have done.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @U2fan

Congratulations on the improvement in your levels and the weight-loss. It is also great that you are self testing and taking control of your diabetes. I wouldn't be too worried about the higher levels in the morning as if you keep doing what you have been they will follow the trend. (you are testing before you eat or drink in the morning?)

Cheers

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your liver's just doing it's job, and preparing you for your day ahead by giving you some fuel to boost your energy. It's nothing to worry about at all, and your levels - including the morning ones - are fine.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people