Why is the Low Carb programme No Longer Free?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Have anyone who was filmed for the program agreed to the content they gave on the understanding of it being "open access" to their content remaining on it?

I would have been very unhappy if I paid for the progarm, as I stop using it on the first day, as it controled what I was allowed to see each day, unlike books and youtube etc when I can go at my own speed. Hence diet doctor may be a much better option for anyone that wishes to pay for content.

As this forum is now the surport forum for a program that is no longer free to access, I will have to consider if I still provide my time for free to surport people on the low card program......

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I was interested in the low carb program, but I am unwilling to pay £30 for what is to me unknown content. I would never purchase anything online without knowing what I exactly was paying for - who would. I will just find other resources online to use that don't come with a financial risk. Billy.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps my approach is far too simple - the low carb program was largely irrelevant - aims and goals, measuring weight and waist measurements and creeping along at a snails pace - anyone wishing to make a change to eating low carb can do it in the space of an afternoon and most of that time is spent shopping - dragging one's feet for weeks and faffing around with little boxes on the screen - not for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps my approach is far too simple - the low carb program was largely irrelevant - aims and goals, measuring weight and waist measurements and creeping along at a snails pace - anyone wishing to make a change to eating low carb can do it in the space of an afternoon and most of that time is spent shopping - dragging one's feet for weeks and faffing around with little boxes on the screen - not for me.
I'd already achieved most of my current weight loss and reduced my HbA1c drastically before the program existed. I actually did join when it was first set up in case there was useful information avaiable, but I've never used it much. I certainly wouldn't sign up sight unseen, and I feel this in particular will put a lot of people off, which is a pity as not everyone has the necessary skills or knowledge to go it alone.

Robbity

Reactions: gemma_T1

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi @DCUKMod

Why do not you use Admob and the money goes for charity here
Admob Is a well-paid company, I hope this is just a suggestion from me

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think my suggestion is not appropriate. Well, I'm pulling it Lol

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. However I do not have a smart phone of any type, and the Low Carb Programme on here is far more than a list of carbs in food.

I do not have an issue with @DCUKMod charging, although i think the price is a bit steep for people who just want to have a look round to see if its right for them. My issue is that nothing has been mentioned about it no longer being free, not on the forum, or on any of the webpages introducing the low carb programme, until after the person has started to make an account and given personal information.

In fairness, the Mod team are trying their best to sort out for me why I can no longer log in to it.

Hi serenity - If you've heard I get the money from the LCProg subscriptions, who do I talk to, because nobody mentioned it to me!? ;) (Only joking)

To be fair, the LCP only converted to a subscription service, literally about a day prior to the first query on here.

Hopefully the techies will have you sorted soon, Serenity

S

serenity648

Hi serenity - If you've heard I get the money from the LCProg subscriptions, who do I talk to, because nobody mentioned it to me!? ;) (Only joking)

To be fair, the LCP only converted to a subscription service, literally about a day prior to the first query on here.

Hopefully the techies will have you sorted soon, Serenity
Will your techies soon be putting up clear signage on the home page and low carb sign up pages to point out there is a charge, and what that charge is? at the moment there is no indication of this charge anywhere until the sign up page has been filled in and enter has been pressed.

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
d4100089e267f11d7a6d436cd0b6622c.jpg

I have just received this email from the Low Carb Program. I think someone is taking the proverbial out of me. I can accept that I may of been one of the first to encounter s charge, but to send this out... Please get your house in order.. it's hard enough trying to cope with the highs and lows of living with T2 diabetes.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
3765adaf951967e9a4dc11f2429d7ee2.jpg

Are you one of the 260,000?
How do you feel about this.
I am feeling very annoyed at the moment. Sorry folks end of rant. Billy

D

Deleted member 308541

Are you one of the 260,000?
How do you feel about this.
I'm past caring.

If people are silly enough to pay £30.00, for what you can get for free from the forum regarding LCHF diets if you read it carefully then that is their problem. :meh:

S

serenity648

I'm past caring.

If people are silly enough to pay £30.00, for what you can get for free from the forum regarding LCHF diets if you read it carefully then that is their problem. :meh:
how..................whats the word I want...................uncaring. Blaming people who may have recently had a life changing diagnosis and only know what the media and health care practitioners have told them, for not then having the nouce to know there are free alternatives. Words (almost) fail me at this attitude.:banghead:

They have come on here to get help, information, support and a lifeline from, and learn how to improve this 'death sentence' the DSN has just told them about. And they find they have to pay a relatively large amount upfront to access this information.

Wasnt there a conversation fairly recently about DietDoctor asking for money for Additional, not basic, services and the site was viewed very negatively for that. And they were upfront and gave all the necessary information for free anyway.

edited as i had the wrong thread for the above discussion

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DCUKMod

Why do not you use Admob and the money goes for charity here
Admob Is a well-paid company, I hope this is just a suggestion from me

Hi there.

Whilst it's very flattering that folks think I'm part of the decision-making group or the team working out any commercials, I'm actually not. However I will mention that organisation to the relevant people when next in contact with them.

Petrolhead276

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Beuracracy
no, that is something else. I am talking about this page: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/
There is no indication on that home page, or the mome page of diabetes.co.uk, or any subsequent pages, of a fee. It only when someone has given their full name, email address and made a password that the page with the Paypal request for money appears. I think that, in the interests of transparency, there should be a clear statement of the charge before people give their detail to create an account.

I think you will find the answer in video 1 https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/app/#/lesson/welcome-to-the-program/ in that the type 2 texting program is subscription based to provide a meter, test strips etc.

As it is possible to obtain free meters from many manufacturers and buy test strips oneself (this is where the companies make their profits) or to discuss with your GP your need for better instantaneous blood glucose test results following dietary changes who can then agree to write a prescription for test strips & lancets.

Hope this answers your original question.

BTW I have registered on the URL in your post above for the low carb program site, on behalf of my wife who has type 2 diabetes, in order to research the information etc available to help her manage her diabetes. To date I have not seen any charges other then the reference to charges if one signs up to the test 2 testing programme.

Regards Dave.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
d4100089e267f11d7a6d436cd0b6622c.jpg

I have just received this email from the Low Carb Program. I think someone is taking the proverbial out of me. I can accept that I may of been one of the first to encounter s charge, but to send this out... Please get your house in order.. it's hard enough trying to cope with the highs and lows of living with T2 diabetes.

Hi Billy
I just downloaded the app and its free to download.
I also seemed to be able to sign in and access the program without paying for anything.
I used an email address that so far as I know the forum has never experienced so it's not just because I hang around here a lot.

S

serenity648

I think you will find the answer in video 1 https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/app/#/lesson/welcome-to-the-program/ in that the type 2 texting program is subscription based to provide a meter, test strips etc.

BTW I have registered on the URL in your post above for the low carb program site, on behalf of my wife who has type 2 diabetes, in order to research the information etc available to help her manage her diabetes. To date I have not seen any charges other then the reference to charges if one signs up to the test 2 testing programme.

Regards Dave.
no, it isnt. Nothing to do with testing stripes etc. This is a new charge to new joiners to even see the low carb programme info, which came into effect two days ago.

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a supporter of the LCP for over two years, it has given me the impetus and the knowledge to lose 3 stone and bring my type 2 under some form of control. If it had not been free when I joined, then I would not be as healthy and fit as I am today. I have just tried to sign up using a different email address and it does indeed now demand a (currently) one off charge of £29.99. What I find disappointing is not so much that there is now a charge (which, in my opinion is excessive) but that DCUK can try to get this change pushed through under the radar without any pre-warning or explanation. Thin end of the wedge? Can we now expect that the forum will soon become subscriber based?

S

serenity648

Hi Billy
I just downloaded the app and its free to download.
I also seemed to be able to sign in and access the program without paying for anything.
I used an email address that so far as I know the forum has never experienced so it's not just because I hang around here a lot.
please can you give me the link to the app? I will ask my son to download it on his smartfone, to see what happens. I cant find the link anywhere.

edited to add: it appears that the app download link is only visible once I have paid my money and joined the low carb programme.