Why is the Low Carb programme No Longer Free?

tankbay

I signed up the other day, paying the full £29.99 as there is no trial available unlike other health apps (8fit, Sworkit etc.). I regret this, as it is a forum (we have one here) with a few videos and other bits which are all available for free at dietdoctor.com and other locations. This is clearly very useful for many people but does not offer me anything extra that I do not have already. I should add that I do not have a problem paying for apps, but potential customers really need to see what they are buying before paying.

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the question - it's a pertintent one.

The Low Carb Program was launched just under 2 years ago – and what a journey it’s been. Over 265,000 people have joined the program, from over 219 countries. We’re proud to see the impact this is having on thousands of peoples’ lives. It has helped push the envelope of type 2 diabetes remission on a global scale - and is redefining the concept of chronic conditions and wellness.

When we launched the program, we wanted to make sure it was free on the basis this was a relatively new approach to diabetes management. We required sufficient amounts of data to not only optimise the program, but to influence the clinical and academic communities about the validity of this approach. In addition, we have invested substantially in developing the program further – localising for communities to improve health outcomes and in the technology and architecture to welcome thousands of people each day.

It’s always been our ambition to keep the Low Carb Program completely marketing free. In order to sustain this approach, we needed to implement a minimal charge, which we decided to do when we reached 250,000 people. The decision was considered. We felt that the price point was a fair price to pay, based on the tremendous impact the program has on a person’s health. Compared to other education, services and management tools, I'm sure you'll agree the Low Carb Program is very good value for money. All users who joined before the payment gateway was installed continue to receive free access and support.

As a sidenote, social research goes to demonstrate that when an individual pays for something, their propsenity to engage is far greater as there is a value attributed to the product/service at hand. Looking at the data, this is certainly the case since the implementation of the payment gatway.

We hope this clarifies the situation and are as ever, grateful for the community's support in optimising global health.

The LCP is a good set of resources and hosts a very helpful, informative and supportive community. I've benefited from a number ideas and from information from the site and the members.

Help me understand your appeal to sustainability though. The owner is Diabetes Digital Media, controlled by six directors of record with accounts freely available from Companies House. The 2016 accounts show a solidly profitable concern that made an operating profit of £423k, recognised gains of £548k, it paid directors £26k of remuneration and £126k of dividends, and there was a payment of £371k to Site Finders Net Limited, a related entity controlled by three of the directors.

Admitedly this is an historic snapshot, but the company seems to be doing fine, so why the new fees?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The LCP is a good set of resources and hosts a very helpful, informative and supportive community. I've benefited from a number ideas and from information from the site and the members.

Help me understand your appeal to sustainability though. The owner is Diabetes Digital Media, controlled by six directors of record with accounts freely available from Companies House. The 2016 accounts show a solidly profitable concern that made an operating profit of £423k, recognised gains of £548k, it paid directors £26k of remuneration and £126k of dividends, and there was a payment of £371k to Site Finders Net Limited, a related entity controlled by three of the directors.

Admitedly this is an historic snapshot, but the company seems to be doing fine, so why the new fees?
When it comes to profit theres no such thing as “fine”! Only “big”, “small”, “rising”, “falling” etc

JonM1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When it comes to profit theres no such thing as “fine”! Only “big”, “small”, “rising”, “falling” etc
In case my post wasn't clear I'm not looking for apologists for the directors, just an explanation from them personally to everyone who subscribes here about suddenly charging fees in the name of sustainability while they preside over a solidly profitable business.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In case my post wasn't clear I'm not looking for apologists for the directors, just an explanation from them personally to everyone who subscribes here about suddenly charging fees in the name of sustainability while they preside over a solidly profitable business.
There were no apologies for the directors actions contained or implied in my post

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondered what the advantage of joining the low carb programme is when all the information about low carbing is already on the forum

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed last week and have been looking for information ever since. I clicked on the link but backed out at the payment page. I don't pay for something that I can't review beforehand.

Whitzend

Just had an email after joining the forum, saying the low carb program was free. On entering my details it asked for payment. I don’t have an issue with paying for a service...but I don’t like being mislead or putting in my details for something then getting asked for money.

Since people have raised this previously, I am disappointed the emails haven’t been amended and it’s still being advertise as free to join.

Attachments

• F4993C65-3DF8-4231-8B50-3B3644AD5487.jpeg
    F4993C65-3DF8-4231-8B50-3B3644AD5487.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 335
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well this is embarrassing. I have been recommending the LCP all over an international forum implying that since it is free then you can tell its genuine. In short, not a snake oil salesman.

I suppose I could change my name and emigrate.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod can you chase this up again please

Alison - Are you having issue with your log in? I apologise if I have already referred this, as you can imagine it can be difficult to remember everything that goes "through my hands".

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I'm a little late to this.

I'm a little horrified by this and stand corrected in previous threads where I've recommended the LCP as a free resource to others sorely in need of guidance or a gentle introduction.

I also checked back through my emails: One as recently as yesterday advertises the LCP (and associated support network, which I guess I'm one of... though a very miffed one now) and still doesn't mention a sign up cost or the actual benefits of the programme. Further, I wish I'd known when I was working through it that I was part of a quarter-million test group that gets to enjoy it for free but, ultimately, it - and my participation in a supportive community - was going to be monetised.

I've worked in the voluntary sector for years. I'm incredibly uncomfortable with my freely-given time and experiences being monetised to attract paying customers and shall no longer be providing feedback or support to that side of the site. And certainly without as much as a "By the way, thanks for participating - we're shaking things up now" notification to at least try to smooth the way and make me feel like I should be okay with being advertised as one of the "260,000 community members" whose support is now available for a fee.

The main question I have, however, is why was no announcement made here in the forum where (let's be honest) we constantly forward people to the program and endlessly sing its praises to newcomers? Surely it's a basic courtesy to let the people who shill for business for you know that, actually, the parameters have changed (instead of letting us look like some kind of trickster, trapping the vulnerable, frightened and unknowing)?

I find the lack of announcement - both to current LCP members and to people on this forum - incredibly rude. And, perhaps a little foolish - it squanders a lot of goodwill here. No matter how effective the product, the way this transition has been communicated and managed is less than brilliant.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My completely free of charge low carb program (now with a money back guarantee!):

No sugar, no spuds, no rice, no pasta, no bread, no starchy foods.
Eat fatty meat, eggs, full fat dairy, and, if you must, non starchy vegetables.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reminds me of the time I demanded a raise from my boss of 15% - and she instantly agreed, citing my value to our voluntary organisation as a big factor :D

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I'm a little late to this.

I'm a little horrified by this and stand corrected in previous threads where I've recommended the LCP as a free resource to others sorely in need of guidance or a gentle introduction.

I also checked back through my emails: One as recently as yesterday advertises the LCP (and associated support network, which I guess I'm one of... though a very miffed one now) and still doesn't mention a sign up cost or the actual benefits of the programme. Further, I wish I'd known when I was working through it that I was part of a quarter-million test group that gets to enjoy it for free but, ultimately, it - and my participation in a supportive community - was going to be monetised.

I've worked in the voluntary sector for years. I'm incredibly uncomfortable with my freely-given time and experiences being monetised to attract paying customers and shall no longer be providing feedback or support to that side of the site. And certainly without as much as a "By the way, thanks for participating - we're shaking things up now" notification to at least try to smooth the way and make me feel like I should be okay with being advertised as one of the "260,000 community members" whose support is now available for a fee.

The main question I have, however, is why was no announcement made here in the forum where (let's be honest) we constantly forward people to the program and endlessly sing its praises to newcomers? Surely it's a basic courtesy to let the people who shill for business for you know that, actually, the parameters have changed (instead of letting us look like some kind of trickster, trapping the vulnerable, frightened and unknowing)?

I find the lack of announcement - both to current LCP members and to people on this forum - incredibly rude. And, perhaps a little foolish - it squanders a lot of goodwill here. No matter how effective the product, the way this transition has been communicated and managed is less than brilliant.

SockFiddler, if you still have that email, could you please forward it to [email protected] and I will ensure it is looked into.

The LC Programme is not compulsory for any member and many have felt, even when the programme was free, that there was no advantage to then in undertaking a 10 week program when they had pretty much all the information free on the site, plus the human interaction of the forum.

On a point of detail, anyone who joined the LC Program whilst it was free has been afforded free, life-long membership, so this impacts new members only. For those joining now, their joining fee is a single lifetime fee. It is not time limited.

I'm sure it's regrettable that an email with the potential to mislead anyone has gone out. I can confidently say there would have been no wish to mislead or confuse anyone.

Thanks for highlighting the glitch.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're welcome - and thanks for replying. I can see it's a knotty subject.

Honeyend

There are so many apps, forums and websites that are free to users but are supported by advertising that I can not really understand the decision. On that basis people feel they are not being used, its an understandable trade, that happens all over the internet.
Big marketing mistake. The admins have not up sold, 'coming soon the super new service that for the small fee ** , you get', but we are going to charge you for what previous customers got for free.
If they are truly interested in health promotion a basic information service should be free, with the opportunity to buy products and services as an optional extra.
I am also interested in what is to be done with personal information entered as at the time it was given a commercial use was not made explicit.
I find the forum the most interesting and useful part. There are not many if any forums that charge.