Why is the lower figure for type 2 diabetics higher than the non diabetic one?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why the lower number of the range for type 2s is not the same as the lower number for non-diabetics?

I think it's quoted as between 4 and 8 ish for type 2s but think I've seen 3 or 3.5 as the lower number for non-diabetics.

Is it because a type 2 is not expected/unable to get as low as 3? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can understand the higher figure in the range, just not the lower one

Reactions: Ponchu
M

Member496333

I believe it will be a blanket fear of hypoglycaemia, and so they want to encourage patients to maintain a higher minimum. In the case of type 2 this should only apply to those using hypoglycaemics and/or exogenous insulin, but nuances seem like too much effort in my experience. It’s a one size fits all approach :)

Reactions: Ponchu and jpscloud
D

Deleted Account

Where did you get your numbers from?
The usual numbers (quoted here ) are the same for non-diabetic, type 1 and type 2. Just because people without diabetes may experience BG below 4, doesn’t mean it is a good target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpscloud
M

Member496333

To be fair I’m sure I’ve read similar, which was why I replied without questioning the numbers. Not sure where I would have read it though...

Reactions: Ponchu and jpscloud

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Non diabetics BG can temporarily go below 4, as can those of some diabetics, but that doent make it a target level

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the co.uk website it is not a target but a range based on NICE guidelines. I think it can cause worry for members newly diagnosed with pre-d or type 2 who are not on medication because it can seem abnormal.

Reactions: jjraak

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone - you got me, I don't know where it was but I did see non diabetic range as starting at 3 or 3.5 before meals somewhere.

Thanks so much for the answers.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WEBMD has a lower limit of 60 mg.dl (USA) which they say normal people can measure when fasting.

Diabetesdaily,con has the range 3.8 - 5.5 mmol/l as 'Normal ( i.e 70 - 100 mg.dl)

Edit to add: The ADA has 3,9 - 7.2 mmol/L for non diabetics (according to Wikkipdia)

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm non diabetic and my endocrinologist said my normal range is between 3.5-6mmols for me. And he said most people go through phases of abnormal blood glucose levels depending on their age and diet.
I can happily feel really good on any readings around just under 4!
We are all different and hypo symptoms can start above normal levels and some can go quite low before getting any symptoms.
If you eat to your balance of foods, you body will respond by being healthier.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies - I feel fine around 4, but haven't managed to get any lower so far. I'm working on improving my low carb eating and potion sizes because I have found a large low carb meal pushes my sugars up a bit.

Ponchu

To be fair I’m sure I’ve read similar, which was why I replied without questioning the numbers. Not sure where I would have read it though...

I have too.

I aim for non diabetic numbers. It’s a great goal.

Interesting that Ken Berry says, “you never want to be above 140” including post meals.

I can only achieve this on sub 20 grams of carbs.