AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
on a slice of bread, 10 at 2 and 4hr afterwards, is more than enough

Frankly Jack, the response would be, "Don't eat bread, and make an appointment to see your medic.",

Of course, I may be completely deluded, but I don't think I am.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@koukla - I'm going to stop responding on your thread for now, because I don't think @jack412 and I having a tiff is helpful to your circumstances. I apologise.

K

koukla

I think that may well be what they would say too. They're closing our A&E too in the near future. If I ate more, my glucose would be higher so I stick with eating as I do because I'm scared. He'd almost convinced me that because I brought my HbA1C down from 49 to 39 in that first 3 months, that by the time this 3 months was up, I'd be diabetes free. I feel a bit cheated and I'll tell him that.

K

koukla

Ok. I don't know why people have to argue. I stay clear of that. Life's too short.

K

koukla

@jack412, I'm sure you're trying to help me and believe me I appreciate it but AndBreathe is correct about what they'd say if I took myself off to the hospital. Even my GP can't stop in now to help me unless he gets the go ahead from the Consultant. Sad but true.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that may well be what they would say too. They're closing our A&E too in the near future. If I ate more, my glucose would be higher so I stick with eating as I do because I'm scared. He'd almost convinced me that because I brought my HbA1C down from 49 to 39 in that first 3 months, that by the time this 3 months was up, I'd be diabetes free. I feel a bit cheated and I'll tell him that.
can you contact this persons office tomorrow and email your BG, food intake etc,for an opinion.... I think things may have have changed since you first saw him and may call you in for medication, IMHO

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no need to be scared of eating. If you eat the right types of food it won't raise your glucose levels (or shouldn't do). Try a salmon salad, or cold meat and salad, add some cheese and a couple of cherry toms. Ditch the bread for now. Treat yourself to a good old breakfast with scrambled/fried/poached eggs and a couple of rashers of bacon with a small tomato and lots of mushrooms. Have a nice dinner with fish or meat and green vegetables. Not eating will make your glucose levels worse because your liver will dump more into your system as it will think you are starving yourself. (This is a natural event and would happen to anyone not eating regularly).

Reactions: 3 people
K

koukla

I could but the health service being as it is, I don't envisage that it will make any difference to my appointment date, the NHS being in the state it is. My only other option would be to go privately but once you go privately they don't like to see you on the NHS after that. They don't stop you, they just don't like it. I've done it previously but not for Diabetes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Koukla - Your bloods will not necessarily go up, unless you increase your carbs, and even if you did, they may not go up materially. You could try eating more fat, so perhaps up the cheese a it? Go for full fat, rather than skimmed or semi-skimmed milk?

You eat a lot of eggs. How do you eat them? Scrambled, omelletes, fried? If scrambled, could you eat one more each time, so instead of scrambling two eggs, scramble three perhaps? And maybe add butter or cream when you scramble them? Those are all solid diabetic options which will increase your calories, without adding carbohydrates.

Please do listen to me when I say that if you do not eat enough your body will try to find a way of looking after itself. For me, if I don't eat enough, my bloods go up. I promise you. How many calories are you consuming a day? Your notes should be able to tell you that? Please try eating more calories, without increasing your carbs significantly for a week, and see how it goes? You will be testing, so you will see if things go in the wrong direction.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @koukla

My body's reaction to bread is similar. The BG rise with potato is much less. No idea why, but it is a big inconvenience!

There is also a thing that happens to type 2s, when we go really low carb, that may have influenced your high bread reading. It is basically (sorry, but I can't produce all the technical terms) where the pancreas gets out of practice at producing insulin. After a sustained period of low carbing. Then, when we do eat carbs (your slice of bread) our blood glucose rises higher than expected and takes a loooong time to return to normal. Because the lazy pancreas takes longer to react.

Some people suggest that this is one reason that very low carb isn't a good idea. Because it reduces the pancreas' ability to cope with carbs. I disagree (mainly because low carbing really works for me in so many other ways). I prefer to look on it as giving my pancreas a nice rest, by not expecting it to produce insulin.

The good news is that IF this 'lazy pancreas' is what is happening to you, then your pancreas would stop being lazy, if you gently upped your carb intake, slowly, over several days. You would have a few days of higher than expected readings, then your pancreas would be back in business, and your readings would become more normal, because your insulin production would be less 'lazy'.

Please understand: I am NOT telling you that you HAVE a lazy pancreas. I am offering it as a possible explanation.

K

koukla

Yes Bluetit1802, you're correct. It looks like I'm back to the strange breakfasts i.e the chicken leg or corned beef with the odd fried breakfast thrown in. Just been looking at my diary and yes, that did appear to make a big difference. I get so bogged down in all of this. I guess it's a learning curve.

Reactions: 3 people
K

koukla

AndBreathe, I'm listening to you. I'm taking it all in. I always have skimmed milk, if I have it at all because I don't like creamy milk or cream. It makes me nauseous.

If I have eggs, I normally have 3 and I boil them and mash them I'm a dish with a big dollop of Lurpak.

I use My fitness pal on my phone and usually about 600 call per day, sometimes as much as 700 and when I finish it for the day it always tells me I haven't eaten enough. I can try more cheese but I can't do the cream. Yuk!!

K

koukla

Brunneria, thank you. I think I'm getting what you're saying and you're more than likely correct in that I have a lazy pancreas because the whole of me is very lazy right now and I know that's not the way forward with diabetes. I'm going right back to normal carbs apart from the small amount of unavoidable ones in vegetables and such like and see what happens. Thank you so much.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
AndBreathe, I'm listening to you. I'm taking it all in. I always have skimmed milk, if I have it at all because I don't like creamy milk or cream. It makes me nauseous.

If I have eggs, I normally have 3 and I boil them and mash them I'm a dish with a big dollop of Lurpak.

I use My fitness pal on my phone and usually about 600 call per day, sometimes as much as 700 and when I finish it for the day it always tells me I haven't eaten enough. I can try more cheese but I can't do the cream. Yuk!!

700 calories a day is starvation level. I am currently on 1500 to 1600 a day to maintain my current weight at 9stone 7lbs. My BMI is 22.8. I don't have a lot of exercise - just 2 walks a day of 20 to 25 minutes. When I was losing my weight I was on 1200 a day. Please have a think about how to increase those calories - extra protein would help.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Koukla - You are starving yourself. You are contributing to the situation you find yourself in.

OK, so no cream. That leaves butter, cheese, full fat milk, creme fraiche, pork crackling, pork scratchings. Peanuts? And just increase how much of anything non-carby you eat.

But, just as you had to give up some things you liked to lose weight, now you may have to address some things you'd prefer not to in order to stop it.

Continuing on 600-700 calories a day when you are at target weight is a recipe for disaster.

I know that all sounds harsh, but you have to become part of the solution where now you are contributing to the problem.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
K

koukla

Oh gosh I know. I actually know this about my weight and starving but I try so hard and I can't seem to eat more. I'm just not hungry enough. I've tried eating loads of almonds which are really high in calories but it makes no difference to the weight loss. I even bought 6 packs of Pork Scratchings in M&S. Yummy, but they didn't help. On the coffee table in front of me right now are flaked almonds, pistachios and cashews. I do eat them but obviously not enough.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
*NO CARBS... not NORMAL CARBS!!!

Don't you just love predictive text? ;)

I have to agree with the others about eating enough.
I would feel dreadful on such a low calorie diet. That is like staying on the Newcastle diet indefinitely, instead of the couple of months it is meant to last!
No wonder you have been feeling dreadful and the weight dropping off.

I suggest you go out and get a good quality multi vit and min immediately (because there is no way you're getting enough nutrition on those calories)

And have a look at this low carb food calculator. It gives an idea of what your intake should be to keep a stable weight.
You just enter your height, weight, age and activity level, and it tells you your guide intake. Marvellous thing.
Click on the bloodsugar101 link in my signature.
Click on the diet button (top rightish).
Click on the nutrition calculator link.

Last edited by a moderator: