Type 2 Why oh why???

K

koukla

Brunneria, I can't see the link. Perhaps I could if I used my laptop. I'll give it a go later, just because I fancy a bath right now. Yes, predictive text is fab! Do you like it too????? Hee hee!

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started using MyFitnessPal because I was getting stuck with reaching the limit on my carbs but still being too low in calories and protein - and yes I was getting tired. Soooo, change - breakfast slice of meat (ham, chicken, turkey), 15-20g cheddar, 10-12 almonds and 4-5 brazil nuts - nice and low carb but lots of protein and fat. Dinner, midday, very healthy lump of protein (salmon steak, or slice of meat and duck egg) loads of salad stuffs, forget the half a cup of lettuce the plate is piled high with lettuce with a goodly helping of walnut oil (its nice and light and not greasy and heavy - in fact I think I could probably drink the stuff, its gorgeous for those that have not tried it), Supper again slice of meat, piece of cheese, full fat yoghurt, 20g nuts - almonds, brazils, cobs etc. Any snacks tend to be nuts often cashews. I've found this gives me around 1000-1200 cals, plus the protein is now at an acceptable level 69g, and the fats are around 80-90g ish, and thats without trying to eat what feels horribly greasy etc. and carbs at about 23g. See if it helps - I'm like you 5'4" and 51kg so the levels should suit you.

Not eating does put up your BGs, I've hit 10 from just being late with brekkie having been diverted into doing something in the garden. Also, if you are worried, get some keto sticks and test your urine for ketones, if you are low carb, you could well have some, thats fine, but it you have a high reading then you need to see your doctor or hospital, if you are unsure you could check the results at the chemist for them to advise you.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For some reason I can never create a link to the page. You have to navigate to it the long way round :wideyed:

Go to bloodsugar101.com
Click diet
Click nutrition calculator link

And take a snack in to nibble during your bath.
Very decadent.
And good for you.
Enjoy!
:happy:

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh gosh I know. I actually know this about my weight and starving but I try so hard and I can't seem to eat more. I'm just not hungry enough. I've tried eating loads of almonds which are really high in calories but it makes no difference to the weight loss. I even bought 6 packs of Pork Scratchings in M&S. Yummy, but they didn't help. On the coffee table in front of me right now are flaked almonds, pistachios and cashews. I do eat them but obviously not enough.

Isn't it about 3500 calories for a pound of weight loss/gain? I could be wrong, but not thousands out, so a few packs of scratchings in isolation aren't enough. It needs to be sustained.

Did you feel better when you had eaten a bit more, or did you not manage to sustain it more than a day?

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The other thing of course, is your thyroid meds might need adjusting. The symptoms of hyper can be very similar to hypo. People that are hypo really have a very very hard time to actually lose weight, whereas hypers lose it rather too easily. Both can exhibit symptoms of exhaustion, depression etc. etc. So, it might be as well to rule that out, ask your doctor to run a TSH test, just tell him you think that you may be going hyper, that can be done next week, it should be checked at least twice a year anyway.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, just thought I would ask, have you reduced your thyroid meds since losing weight? because the dosage is extremely weight critical, i.e. the more you weigh the higher the dose to achieve the same as a lower weight and lower dose. So if you have lost lots of weight, your current dosage may well be too high.

K

koukla

Thanks for all of that Harpar. I'm going to keep this open and read it all again through the evening. @Brunneria, not decadent enough. The Bollinger was sadly missing!! :)

K

koukla

AndBreathe, I honestly don't remember if I felt any better so I suppose I mustn't have and no, I couldn't sustain it. I've just had a pork steak and 2 fried eggs now though and feel better already. I'm testing in 2 hours.

Reactions: 3 people
K

koukla

@Harpar, yes I've got the blood test firm and I'm having the tests done when I have my next injection. He's checking everything for the diabetes and also my T3 and T4. It's funny you should bring that up because before the diabetes, I couldn't lose an ounce of the thyroid weight but I sure have now. Maybe that is out of kilter again. I'd not thought of the tiredness being that but I did say to my daughter and few weeks ago that this tiredness reminded me of both the underactive and overactive stages when he was trying to find a balance. In the end I had to come off Thyroxine because it didn't suit me at all and now I'm on an American drug called Armour which the Consultant actually doesn't like (it's not as clean as Thyroxine because it's made out of pig thyroid) but it's the only thing that works for me. So, after I've had my bloods done, he'll have all the info re thyroid and diabetes in front of him. No excuses not to help me feel better!!! :)

K

koukla

Today has been brilliant through this forum. I doubt you could know how scared I was of that reading at lunchtime so to all who have helped me, I thank you from the heart of my bottom. I'm truly grateful. Thank you :)

Reactions: 6 people
K

koukla

OMG.... predictive text!!! Bottom of my heart!!! No, I'm just showing you I'm not a miserable beggar, in fact I'm mostly laughing.... but not earlier. Thank you all so much.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Today has been brilliant through this forum. I doubt you could know how scared I was of that reading at lunchtime so to all who have helped me, I thank you from the heart of my bottom. I'm truly grateful. Thank you :)
This is what the forum is here for :)
To talk , share , help and support each other .
I am really pleased it has helped you today koukla .

Reactions: 4 people
K

koukla

Thank you so much Anna29. I'm feeling so much better now. 6.4 two hours after a pork steak and 2 fried eggs. :)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Just wondering if you have had menopause or could your over enforced low calorie have pushed you back into it if you haven't fully had it (l understand it can be anything from a few years to about 30 which l am not looking forward to)

Also the extreme tiredness sounds depressive as well again wonder if above comment fits on menopause or diet

On a reading note l have been in a not great work place last 2 weeks (l locum all over the country) l had a 6.9 reading post dinner the other night fell off my chair l am never that high. So did other hand other finger 6.2 then thought mmm went back to original hand different finger and that was 6.2. Annoyed at high readings but also now l have left where l was and not going back am back down to around 5.2 @ 2 hrs after a meal this weekend.

K

koukla

Hi. No I'm well over the menopause. I followed my mother's genes so that was over with at 41 which is 22 years ago. I'm truly not depressed but I'm very frightened about the diabetes. For one reason, it's not very pleasant and I'm also dealing with other serious health issues.

I feel a bit upset again now though because I was delighted until I read this. 6.4 two hours after a meal was amazing for me.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Hey we are each different given your health problems you are being a plank getting depressed over someone else's numbers you have brought yourself right down and fighting a lot of health issues. I can not eat cottage cheese and yoghurt and other foods that folks on here love cause it sends me high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. No I'm well over the menopause. I followed my mother's genes so that was over with at 41 which is 22 years ago. I'm truly not depressed but I'm very frightened about the diabetes. For one reason, it's not very pleasant and I'm also dealing with other serious health issues.

I feel a bit upset again now though because I was delighted until I read this. 6.4 two hours after a meal was amazing for me.

6.4 after 2 hours is brilliant. I'm delighted at anything under 7 as long as it goes back down again. Never compare your readings to others. Some people have been at this for a long time, and we are all different in how we react to food. Just keep tracking your own numbers and ignore everyone else's.

K

koukla

Thanks a lot Bluetit1802. Still a bit high but not like Sunday. The end of September gets closer by the day :)