Why should I care?

Dislikes
Being disabled... & disempowered!
So... I am Type 2, I take the drugs (Metformin) and am mostly mindful about what I eat... and 6 weeks ago I even gave up smoking (30 or 40 a day). And now? I had some bloods done & got a call from the surgery.

'You're cholesterol is too high...' the nurse said. Oh.

So the doc prescribed some drugs - statins - and left me a scary diet sheet to pick up from reception. Oh.

So. I've done that but now I'm fretting; and am wondering why the doctor thinks its ok to prescribe yet another 'take it for life' medication without some kind of chat.

Am also annoyed that I take the drugs - Metformin - and even after 6 months, they ain't making no more than a couple of points of difference to my hba1c thingy (109).

I'm so bored and upset by it all. And kind of don't really care. Should I take the statins? I ask because... hasn't the damage already been done? And I don't drink, I don't smoke... & now I can't eat the food I like. Feels like some kind of 'no life'. Oh dear.

Think I'm feeling a bit down. A lot down actually *sigh*. And have zero energy for another battle. And I ain't go any support either. I am my own support. My own help. Completely self reliant. But SO tired.

Tired of being told that I've gotta do this and that. Why?

Sorry guys. Needed to rant. Forgive me... :?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
You don't have to do this. You don't have to do anything. The doctor is only advising you, he's not ordering you. There is no diabetes police who will come round and arrest you for eating cream cakes.

If I were you I'd go back to the doctor and ask him to explain why he's advising the statins. Sounds like he's assessed the risk of you not being on them vs the risk of you being on them and decided that your long term health will be better served by being on them. Of course there's no way of telling for sure. He could be wrong. But ultimately you need to decide for yourself if it's a risk you want to take. What do you lose by being on them (plus the metformin?) Do you have side effects? Is it the hassle of taking pills all the time? Are you on long acting metformin which only needs to be taken twice a day not at every meal, this can make things easier.

I too struggle every day with taking medication. I was taken off my statin to get pregnant and now I've had my baby I'm supposed to be going back on them, haven't got round to it yet but its only been a few weeks.

Having suffered complications I now see taking the meds as the lesser of two evils. I'd do anything to stop my complications getting worse or developing new ones! It took a while to get there though as I spent many years not really caring.

I'm also on insulin which requires a decision several times a day about how much to take - too much and you go hypo too low and you go high - now that is a hassle. I hate it and sometimes feel bitter about having this illness but have accepted that I need to do it, the alternative is far far worse.

Also you don't know how much difference your metformin is making as if you'd not taken it your hba1c could have gone even higher.

Sounds to me like you just need more info on why you are doing this rather than feeling the doctor is just treating you as a pill swallowing machine.

i'd go back for a chat and if he's not helpful, ask to see another doctor.

Good luck

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Well said anti carb.
We need to do what we need to do and if that means taking tablets or injecting then that is what we need to do. We have only one time here.

Rockape671

Why should you care? Well, no-one else can answer that question apart from you. Do you care if your blood sugar runs high? Do you care about developing complications? Do you care about the people who would have to care for you if you do? Do you care if your time is cut short?
You obviously do as you've managed the hardest one of all, still struggling with my old mate nicotine. The best thing about diabetes for me, is that its up to me to control it, no-one else can do it for me. Which is lucky for me as I don't trust anyone else, especially doctors. They tried to make me take statins, I refused, changed my diet and my readings are all good now. So, its kinda up to you, do some research, make some changes. And look after yourself! No-one else will. Good Luck.

teej77

Hi Tarot lady - I know where you are coming from, i sat and watch my nan go from worse to worse with diabetis and all the meds that she was on, i was scared to death when i was told 14 years ago that I had type 2 diabetis. I tried the diet thing straight away checking everything that I eat being really careful growing up with nan made me realise what a star she was. Then i had to go on metfomin like yourself, they put me straight on blood pressure and colestrial tablets without any consultation. I have never had high blood pressure or colestrial. After my doctors giving me an over dose of Metformin for a year i got a little sick and changed my doctors. The new one understood my thought on all the pills and basically it is all for preventative long term so now I am on not blood pressure tablets at all but on low does of colestral.

I went through a really messy divorce where i hardly ate and hardly too my meds for two years, i am now on two pills and insulin injections, but god i never want to feel sick like i did before it was horrible, being sick all the time, falling alseep at work i just couldnt cope. By all accounts my pancreas has now stopped producing insulin all together.

I basis of this sotry is I understand how you feel, please please care about yourself cos I did not and now im kinda screwed with meds and food. I wish i had cared more about my illness and everythins. And i hope you will too, eat healthy take your meds and stay strong love we are all here to help !! xxxxxxx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sadly Metformin only ever makes a 1 or 2 mmol reduction in blood sugar. The GPs prescribe statins 'cos that's what they are told to do and the manufacturers makes loads of money from them. There is growing evidence that there is no need to take them. Google the web for info. Note that they aren't a diabetes drug. If you are not already on a low-carb diet and also if you are overweight then you must review your diet as this will make the biggest difference to your blood sugar. If you are normal weight and still have high blood sugar then discuss adding further meds with the GP.

Unbeliever

Hi As ever I totally agree wih Daibell. Gps have been told to tighten up on cholesterol figures. It used to be possible to discuss matters with them but they have now been ordered to make reaching the targets for cholesterol a priority and even when
patients start to suffer side effects they have to persevere until they find the right one
or are persuaded to put up with muscle pain etc.

There are many more diabetic medications than metformin. but you should always try diet and exercise first as many have side effects.
Most of us have felt as you do at times. I think the one thing which helps us to feel better is when we take control of the diabetes rather than vice veraa. Do you est your own bgs? This is a great way to start. Learn as much about it all as you can so that he HcPs know you mean business. This will make your life easier.

And always listen to Daibell. I do! :D :thumbup:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi The lovely tarot lady .

Hmmm statins ? these can be quite an individual thing with each person .

I tried both statins AND fibrates found I simply "couldn't " tolerate these :thumbdown:
Made my bones and muscles ache and spasm painfully plus was constantly nauseaus on them too .

Both my GP and myself - agreed these weren't suited for me at all .
I 'do' have a low tolerance to various medications anyway - he knows this as fact too .
We worked between us to try a different type of medication .
Found I can tollerate Amlodipline so I take the 'lowest dose' of this now .

If you have a GP that will 'listen' to your concerns and also take into account how you are feeling etc...
You will have a chance to steer things in a direction that you are happier with .
Your health matters to both you and the right GP/DSN .
If you feel under pressure or sense things aren't being addressed for the benefit of your health
or how you are feeling about certain things .
It would suggest it could be time to seek another GP/DSN opinion .

Anna .

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think there's the evidence to say statins reduce heart attacks or similar outcomes in women at all, so you should discuss with the GP. If your total cholesterol to HDL ratio is low then your risk is low - did you get the full numbers ?