Why won't the NHS tell you the secret to treating diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
So many things wrong with that, I don't know where to start. Complete carb overload

Last edited:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
75g (raw) basmati

why raw.... slower to process? Can't be that palatable. A waste of an expensive rice?

Edit for being slow: Pre-cooked weight?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still a little surprised that you seem so reluctant to test before and after meals.

Blood sugar levels are effected by many things- food stress sleep illness. Of those the easiest to control is food so I think it is a great place to start. If you are confident that low calorie does the trick then surely that would be reflected in your testing.

Last night was our Christmas party. I was worried about it and ended up having a lot more carbs then usual but still not nearly as many as before my diagnosis. Also a fair amount of calories- actually a lot of calories but my fasting level was 5.4 which I was happy with. I think my normal carb level being ng so low let me get away with more this time- back to the straight and narrow today again- more hungry because I had more carbs- but still under 100 grams for the day.

Tannith

BANNED
I am still a little surprised that you seem so reluctant to test before and after meals.

Blood sugar levels are effected by many things- food stress sleep illness. Of those the easiest to control is food so I think it is a great place to start. If you are confident that low calorie does the trick then surely that would be reflected in your testing.

Last night was our Christmas party. I was worried about it and ended up having a lot more carbs then usual but still not nearly as many as before my diagnosis. Also a fair amount of calories- actually a lot of calories but my fasting level was 5.4 which I was happy with. I think my normal carb level being ng so low let me get away with more this time- back to the straight and narrow today again- more hungry because I had more carbs- but still under 100 grams for the day.
I prefer OGT as it is standardised and I can compare each one with the last. Thurs last OGT 2hr glucose 9.7. -an improvement on the previous week.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I prefer OGT as it is standardised and I can compare each one with the last. Thurs last OGT 2hr glucose 9.7. -an improvement on the previous week.

So your doing OGT each week? Along with a mostly glucose diet?

That's an enormous strain on the pancreas and I'm sure it's creating more insulin resistance. If you test before and after meals as already suggested you'll have a stream of data that shows you what your levels are doing, instead of doing an OGT and heaping more and more stress on yourself.

You're really making life difficult for yourself and no one wants to see that happen.

Tannith

BANNED
So your doing OGT each week? Along with a mostly glucose diet?

That's an enormous strain on the pancreas and I'm sure it's creating more insulin resistance. If you test before and after meals as already suggested you'll have a stream of data that shows you what your levels are doing, instead of doing an OGT and heaping more and more stress on yourself.

You're really making life difficult for yourself and no one wants to see that happen.
Not normally. I have only done the two tests. I agree that doing a glucose test is not good for me, and I shan't continue to do it as often.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The tests were actually 10 days apart. But I do agree that they are a strain on the pancreas.
Why do them at all? Perhaps you don't know about burning out our pancreas response.

Testing before and two hours after eating is easy and safer. Why not give it a go with your main meal for a few days and let us know what happens? You have nothing to lose by trying this.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532915/

Glucose Tolerance Test

“For three days preceding the test, the patient should consume a normal diet or one that contains approximately 150 grams of carbohydrates per day. The patient should arrive fasting”
Yes.
So in addition to the test glucose load it’s also three days of more carbs than most of us eat, though maybe not yourself looking at your intake.

Reactions: oldgreymare

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The idea of the pre and post meal readings is that you can compare one with the other and see the degree of rise (or not) caused by the meal. Using the same meter etc standardises the results against each other. It is not the absolute numbers that matter so much (although indicative) it is the comparison or the rise that matter most

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
The idea of the pre and post meal readings is that you can compare one with the other and see the degree of rise (or not) caused by the meal. Using the same meter etc standardises the results against each other. It is not the absolute numbers that matter so much (although indicative) it is the comparison or the rise that matter most
@Tannith I'm another forum member who is very puzzled by your reluctance to do the well tried and tested regime of tracking BG levels pre and post meals (with measured carb loads). These will give you so much better information to actively manage your condition rather than just looking at overnight fasting BGs or home administered OGTT. I don't understand why you are not using this easy and much more helpful approach.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is that Professor Taylor focuses on calories and not carbs. The ND has helped Tannith to achieve remission already so you can't really blame her for trusting his methods.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem is that Professor Taylor focuses on calories and not carbs. The ND has helped Tannith to achieve remission already so you can't really blame her for trusting his methods.
Agreed.

But where I am puzzled is the absolute refusal to even try these simple pre and post tests alongside her chosen diet. The information could be really useful if the low cal approach doesn’t work as well this time round and it could also be incredibly enlightening and encourage @Tannith to at least consider there might be value in what we say, possibly even for a blended approach.

I for one cannot understand what there is to lose other than a few strips. But her choice I guess. I don’t want to badger, even though I find it frustrating to not understand this refusal, so will attempt to refrain from further comment against low cal or meal testing on this thread.

Tannith

BANNED
@Tannith I'm another forum member who is very puzzled by your reluctance to do the well tried and tested regime of tracking BG levels pre and post meals (with measured carb loads). These will give you so much better information to actively manage your condition rather than just looking at overnight fasting BGs or home administered OGTT. I don't understand why you are not using this easy and much more helpful approach.
"tracking BG levels pre and post meals (with measured carb loads)"
That's exactly what the OGT does. Track BG levels against the measured carb load of 75 g glucose. That's why I did it. In time it will tell me when/whether I have reached my Personal Fat Threshold. And whether or not I am one of the unlucky ones who have now had T2 for too long for the low calorie diet to work. If I am unlucky, I shall have to consider which of the remaining 2 alternatives (low carb or metformin) to choose. But that could take 8 weeks or so so I have to be patient.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"tracking BG levels pre and post meals (with measured carb loads)"
That's exactly what the OGT does. Track BG levels against the measured carb load of 75 g glucose.
OGTT does not measure the effect of our food/meal choices. It measures the response to glucose solutions for diagnostic purposes.

Understanding our own meal choices and choosing the ones that suit our bodies best is why we test pre and post meals. Not particularly to measure resistance etc

( I don’t think this is breaking my above promise. Or I hope not. I’m not seeking to persuade or badger, just explain a process)

Reactions: ravensmitten
Status
Not open for further replies.