Why won't the NHS tell you the secret to treating diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ages.135m 8.7; 150m 7.9 150m 9.9 165m 8.1 3h (180m) 9.1 185 m10.5 !!! 210m 9.4

I would suggest that you don't repeat this anytime soon until there is clearer evidence of control in your routine testing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you now think it might be worth following some of the advice from the people who have been trying to help you?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tannith
That 75g glucose test is a severe challenge to your pancreas & insulin sensitivity.
As you probably now realise it's nothing like 75gs of carbs in "normal" food.

I wonder if you'd be better using your meter to establishing a baseline after eating a set meal.
Try with a fry with a single slice of toast.
Test before eating (morning fasting) & test 2 hours afterwards, look for a rise of no more than 2 mmol/L & ideally below 7.8.
Repeat with small amounts of carbs for lunch & dinner.
Your meter will soon tell you what your body can tolerate & then you know where you stand.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tannith - were/are your strips in date, and did you wash, or clean in any way your hands, after taking the glucose drink? Those numbers are high for so long. I wonder if your finger or fingers were contaminated?

Reactions: oldgreymare

Tannith

BANNED
I would suggest that you don't repeat this anytime soon until there is clearer evidence of control in your routine testing.
I'll give it a little while as apart from anything else it's such a faff and also uses a lot of strips. Also there is no point until I've given the diet a chance to see if it's working or not. It worked last time but I now know I didn't give it long enough as the doctor and her print-out both told me I was no longer diabetic. In fact I was welll into pre diabetic when I stopped and didn't give it a chance. NHS sets the bar too high IMO.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
\

This result actually suggest that this would be the pattern with every carb laden meal... there is inadequate 1st phase AND 2nd phase insulin to deal with fast acting carbs... that's why a flash glucose meter provides a lot of useful insight with regards to post meal glucose spikes etc.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Tannith

BANNED
would you mind sharing perhaps 3 days of what you eat and drink please?
breakfast 2xtea + semi skimmed milk; lunch 75g (raw) basmati, half tin ratatouille , butternut squash steamed, pork medallion roasted. Teatime 150ml orange juice. I have had same every day for last 3 days. Then supper half can fruit cocktail OR large helping stewed dried apricots with 3 tbs ff greek yoghurt OR same but no yoghurt. Occasional drink sugar free orangeade.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast 2xtea + semi skimmed milk; lunch 75g (raw) basmati, half tin ratatouille , butternut squash steamed, pork medallion roasted. Teatime 150ml orange juice. I have had same every day for last 3 days. Then supper half can fruit cocktail OR large helping stewed dried apricots with 3 tbs ff greek yoghurt OR same but no yoghurt. Occasional drink sugar free orangeade.
That means your diet is mostly carbs.

Hotpepper20000

If you would test before you meals and two hours after you would see what all those carbs do to your BG.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That would kill me off in no time at all, I'm sure. All that starch and sugar is exactly what I can't cope with.

Status
Not open for further replies.