Wiflib you are my hero Chicken and leek soup

alliebee

I made your wonderful leek, and whole chicken soup today, the only difference i made was took out a third and blended it for a bit of thickness, Who would have thought just three ingredients ( leeks chicken and garlic ) and stock cube or stock and seasonings would turn out like ambrosia from the gods..... :D :D :D

The whole house smells wonderfull, and my tum is full

Thankyou... from my whole family.... I am addicted....

seriously folks, you have to make it to try it ....... :lol:

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Shucks Alli, thank you.

It's a bad addiction. I made the last (large) pot last for two days though.

wiflib

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Can someone remind me where the recipe is, please? :D

Viv 8)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's in the 'Lunch Ideas' thread Viv and like a lot of soups, gets better as it gets older. I forgot to say that I put a big knob of butter on each serving.

wiflib

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Thanks, Wiflib.

The butter goes without saying :wink:

Viv 8)

alliebee

This mornings dose ( yes I am a new addict ) had a splodge of thick cream in it oh oh heaven :D :D :D :thumbup:

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi ladies..just curious about something.

I love soups and have both tinned and home made, although much less of the tinned versions nowadays.

Regarding the chicken and leek and the adding of butter and cream, don't you find this makes the soup really greasy? Don't get me wrong, I do love butter (not mad on cream, too rich) but to add it to something that tends to be a bit greasy (always find chicken meat quite fatty when used in soup) seems odd to me.

Opinions?

alliebee

Well I roasted the chicken first, and then when cool picked off alll the fatty bits, no skin ect, as Im watching my weight a bit, used a small knob of butter to soften 4 big leeks, then added all the chicken meat plus a cooked breast I had in the fridge, I then let it simmer for 30 mins or so in the stock.

Then i blended a third of the soup, and returned it to the pan, and it was beyond delish, not greasy at all, the cream is optional I guess only swrirled in a teaspoon just before serving today,

I havent yet tried butter in it, personally I didnt need it, food for the soul..... yum :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add as much or as little as you like. It's all to do with personal tastes, as with all recipes.

wiflib

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've posted a few in the recipes thread and there are some cracking ones from other members.

(guess what I've got bubbling on the stove)

wiflib

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Made some of this soup today and added some double cream when I ate it......it is lovely and my meter liked it too!! :D

Thank you :clap:

Angie

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Double drool. Didn't cross my mind to add a bit of cream, seems I'll be stripping a chicken tomorrow!

wiflib (who is waiting for my egg custards with nutmeg to cool and set)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love egg custards with nutmeg, never made any though.
Have you got a wonderful recipe for those too and what do you use for the case?
Angie

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't give you exact amounts but I did mine tonight with cream, marscapone, eggs and sweetener.

As for crust, it hadn't crossed my mind. I poured the mix into ramekins and will eat it like that. You can make a case with ground almonds but I prefer it without. It's just not the same without a lovely bit of buttery, shortcrust pastry.

wiflib

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Wiflib, food for thought there!!
I must get a bit more adventurous in my kitchen (usually alien to me!!) :lol:

Regards
Angie