Willpower – what do you think?

dragongirl

A bit more abstract than usual, but see what you think. I won't be offended if I'm ignored!

One way of looking at willpower
Sometimes we think we need "willpower" to make things happen, achieve our goals, succeed, get things sorted. A sort of positive force we need to find somewhere inside ourselves. So when we don't achieve (that target bg level, living without certain foods and treats etc), we give ourselves a hard time as though there is something wrong with us. "I've got no willpower, I'm a failure."

A second way of looking at willpower
But there is another view on this. The person who says they “need willpower” is really saying: “I consciously want this, but I will have to fight the part of me that doesn’t in order to succeed.” This means there is still some part of them that is conflicted about the issue. So instead of flagellating ourselves about having no willpower, it makes more sense to work out what we still haven't come to terms with (or which bit we haven't come to terms with) and zap that thing. Someone with no internal conflict or objections to carrying out an action doesn't need willpower – they simply do it!

So – my own take on it is the second version. If you need to exert willpower to achieve your goal then this is evidence of an outstanding problem. No need for guilt or self-criticism about being weak-willed – just locate the bother and sort it out.

Does this make sense? I guess it's difficult in one sense, as we didn't "choose" the goal of surviving with diabetes. But given we mostly want to survive above all else, then it's still about having chosen to deal with it, I think.

OK, I'll go get my coat...

DG

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
That makes perfect sense to me DG, I have been a comfort eater all my adult life and once you are 'wired' in a particular way it is always going to be hard to change those subconscious cravings. I think a lot of it is finding the right motivation which is different for everyone.

I would say that my re-wiring is still on going as I still crave food when I am inactive or bored, and have to say to myself that it is only so long till my next meal or bed time and I am not really hungry, but it IS still hard to sustain long term, I freely admit that I am not as strong as I was directly after diagnoses which is almost certainly why my weight loss has stalled somewhat. 'Burn more calories than you eat and you WILL lose weight' is so easy to say but in practice eating less and exercising more can be so hard to achieve :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Interesting philosophy DG.
Hana

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
One of the cornerstones of NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) methodology...

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Yeah, I like that way of looking at it - it's so easy to get sunk in guilt/self-pity when you slip up, and then you allow yourself more leeway because you're miserable....