DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
Hi all

Newly diagnosed type 2 and 3rd day in on metamorfin slow release.

I also must point out that I've dealt with anxiety for at least 10 years, but could have been undiagnosed diabetes causing it.

I'm on a low carb diet, last meal was 6pm and was chicken breast, pickles in rye bread with coliflower cheese.

Woke up and felt hungry, a little confused, slightly drunk/hangover feeling.

Was this a hypo and what can I do to avoid it again?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

If you’re just on metformin it’s highly, highly unlikely that you will have a hypo.

If you’ve recently dramatically reduced your carb intake it could be a ‘false hypo’ where your body is used to running high blood sugars and is reacting to lower blood sugars.

Could also be dehydration or you may be coming down with something.

Did you test your blood sugars when you woke?

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
I havent got a monitor yet, but I will be getting one this week.

Could very well be dehydration, im feeling better after lots of water.

I had lots of water before bed which is odd.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Agree with @Goonergal but glad you are getting a monitor.

Dehydration seems less likely if you had a lot of water before bed. Weird dreams or nightmares can have a strange effect too.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin (the ordinary kind) made my constantly nauseous and I woke up in the night more than once to throw up. I only occasionally suffered the more common side effect from the other end! So it could also be that, perhaps? Although I have no experience of the SR variety.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Newly diagnosed type 2 and 3rd day in on metamorfin slow release.

I also must point out that I've dealt with anxiety for at least 10 years, but could have been undiagnosed diabetes causing it.

I'm on a low carb diet, last meal was 6pm and was chicken breast, pickles in rye bread with coliflower cheese.

Woke up and felt hungry, a little confused, slightly drunk/hangover feeling.

Was this a hypo and what can I do to avoid it again?
Just a little thought - as this definitely applies to me. You say the undiagnosed diabetes May have caused the anxiety. In my case it was the other way round as a long term family carer I had and have lots of stress and consequent anxiety plus, lots of depression in the past and this definitely causes high cortisol and raises blood sugar significantly which if over long periods of time can be a strong contributor to developing metabolic disorder which over time makes you more vulnerable to type 2.
As an anxious person I remember three and a half years ago when I went low carb and was taking metformin having that type of hypo you talk about I hadn’t started testing then but now know that for me it was my body unused to lower blood sugars.
I also have learnt that for me good sleep and stress management is a major part for me of keeping my bgs low and type 2 managed. Hope this helps you think through your own way forward we are all different and getting a meter and testing is well worth the cost to judge what direction you’re going and what works for you.