Woke up with a bad hypo

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I woke up with a bad hypo after 8 hours of sleep and a level before bed of 4.6 and that was more than 2 hours after eating an extremely low carb meal and having a stable blood glucose level for most of the day. This has never happened to me before - to wake up in the morning with a hypo. It's very concerning. I'm on day 3 of a low carb diet. Really not sure what is going on there but I'm really worried about it. The symptoms were really bad.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you feeling now @swttbsy5 ?

Waking up with a hypo in the morning is outside my experience, I am afraid. I usually wake up to dawn phenomenon and higher numbers.

But I have had hypos around sleeping during the day, either from blood glucose dropping sharply > me falling asleep, or alternatively a typical 'afternoon nap' following a big meal > waking up feeling like I have been run over by a truck having hypoed during the nap.
Neither of those sound like your experience, but I mention them because I have learned that the best thing I can do afterwards is be gentle with myself, eat plenty of low carb foods, and accept that my blood glucose is going to be more unstable than usual for a day or two. I always feel rough after hypos, and can feel like a black depressive fog is hanging over me but it passes with time.

Hope that helps.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @swttbsy5 Out of interest what level did you wake at and how did you test for this ?

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I woke up with a level of 3.7, tested with a blood glucose meter. It went lower after that and then I treated it with a biscuit and glass of milk. It used to be jelly beans which works a lot faster but obviously results in another hypo. I've been stable for the rest of the day which is nice on my new low carb diet. It seems to work. I've never woken up feeling like that before and my fasting level in the morning has always been above 4.3 or so.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've had hypos wake me up, even during my start in doing low carb, sounds as if you just adjusting, 3.7 is (in my endocrinologist view) not quite a hypo, 3.5 is his hypo levels below that. But that is not helping really much. I have already mentioned carb flu. Hope you are feeling better now!
I like the treatment for the low levels, just enough to nudge your blood sugar levels up.

Let us know how you do tomorrow morning.

Keep safe

Keep safe