Worried about son aged 5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Go straight to A&E, any reading that high with clean hands is bad. A&E can test for ketones and do an A1C on the spot, if he has ketones he can deteriorate VERY quickly, better safe than sorry.

A blood test will take days, sometimes a week to come back, by then if he does have DKA he will be seriously, seriously ill.

Snoozie5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
9s and 12s are still high. If he was in the 20's that should have been an a&e job. If it is diabetes chance are he would be honeymooning so his body is able to temporarily deal with the highs. A 9 after a big meal is possible in a non D but would go back in range of about 5-6 in an hour or 2. Are those readings post meal or fasting (pre meal) levels? Urine will detect any traces of ketones. A proper blood test will check his hba1c which will show his general blood sugar trend for the last 3 months and will give a difinitive answer as to whether he is, isn't or looks to be be at the early stages and will need to be kept a close eye on. That will take a while for results if done at gp the hospital can do it and give you an immediate result. Don't let them fob you off either if you are uncertain of anything they say or do ask them and if you think they haven't done enough say so. Good luck. Keep us posted. X

meplusthree

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi, just wanted to update you all, blood test was done at the surgery and we will get the results today, dr said he was testing what his average blood sugars have been for the past 2-3 months. He didn't have any glucose or ketones in his urine and i have been continuing to take blood sugars, yesterday his highest reading was 6.8 2 hours after his dinner, and this morning it is 4.8 before breakfast. I'm really confused now. Is it possible that he just had a few days of high blood sugar and now its gone back to normal and he doesn't have diabetes? He's been fine in himself just a tad tired and still drinking a lot and going to the toilet but no more headaches which is good. I have my fingers crossed he doesn't have it.

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The fact that there were no ketones present in his urine sample is a good thing but it'll be interesting to see what his Hba1c comes back as. As a diabetic my blood sugars are raised during periods of illness, I'm not sure if the same applies to a non-diabetic but could indicate that he's maybe had some sort of bug.

I think we all have our fingers crossed for you...please continue to keep us updated :)

meplusthree

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Quick update, bloods were normal, test is to be repeated in a few weeks time and we have to keep a close eye on him and keep monitoring blood levels at home. I'm so relieved :)

Reactions: 5 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thank goodness for that! My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your son :) xx

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Phew! I'm so pleased for you both...as a parent I can appreciate the worry it must have caused you...fingers crossed that'll be the end of it

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
hi- I am not a doctor so this is not a medical opinion. My sister and I are both diabetic- she was diagnosed before me. My mum would say she could smell when my sister was ill. Looking back this would have been ketones. when she was blood tested it was normal. Maybe this is a sign of a complete break down of pancreas in the future.
I would recommend that if everything comes back normal you just make it a routine to check and do it at different times of the day so you can check. Like I said in previous posts I only showed at 11 am in the morning.