Worried about taking metmorfin

Luvly

I've just started taking metmorfin.
I've seen a lot of posts on Google saying that it causes cancer.
I'm really worried now. What do I do?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you react badly to it that is the least of your worries - it really turns some of us inside out - or at least it feels like that will happen any moment.
Some people take it and report no problem at all.
So many people are prescribed it a tendency to cause cancer would have been noticed a very long time ago. Some people will spread any sort of rumour, but they do seem to be mostly made up just to be nasty and worry people for no reason.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Luvly metformin is generally regarded as a very safe drug.

Some find it upsets their stomach, but plenty here get on with it too.

The most important thing to realise about it as a type 2 is that it doesn’t, on its own, have a big impact on your blood sugar levels. It needs to be accompanied by a way of eating that restricts carbohydrate intake.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just started taking metmorfin.
I've seen a lot of posts on Google saying that it causes cancer.
I'm really worried now. What do I do?

No one apart from you can make that choice

It appears there was a recall of some Metformin due to a chemical issue, that's been discussed elsewhere on the forums I suspect but is also a US specific issue(?) And has been recalled

There are also investigations into whether Metformin may have beneficial support to help prevent cancer. It also is seen as a very low impact safe drug, highly prescribed and does help (at least a bit) on blood control with dietary changes support

So, most articles actually are more about how it might support rather than cause: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-and-cancer.html

If you have stomach issues then you can try slow release, but most people tolerate a versions n well. Some do not, but it is only some

High blood levels will lead to issues long term.

So, you can choose to (or not) take it but every medication has side effects to some degree. Cancer Is not a side effect I have read about and I've been on it a decade, Perhaps looking to change to low carb or other approaches may pull you into remission Without needing metformin

Reactions: EllieM

Luvly

If you react badly to it that is the least of your worries - it really turns some of us inside out - or at least it feels like that will happen any moment.
Some people take it and report no problem at all.
So many people are prescribed it a tendency to cause cancer would have been noticed a very long time ago. Some people will spread any sort of rumour, but they do seem to be mostly made up just to be nasty and worry people for no reason.
Thank you
Guess I let the scare mongers, scare me. X

Luvly

It appears there was a recall of some Metformin due to a chemical issue, that's been discussed elsewhere on the forums I suspect but is also a US specific issue(?) And has been recalled

There are also investigations into whether Metformin may have beneficial support to help prevent cancer. It also is seen as a very low impact safe drug, highly prescribed and does help (at least a bit) on blood control with dietary changes support

So, most articles actually are more about how it might support rather than cause: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-and-cancer.html

If you have stomach issues then you can try slow release, but most people tolerate a versions n well. Some do not, but it is only some

So, you can choose to (or not) take it but every medication has side effects to some degree. Cancer Is not a side effect I have read about and I've been on it a decade, Perhaps looking to change to low carb or other approaches may pull you into remission Without needing metformin

Thank you. I took the first pill yesterday before dinner. Then 1 just now with breakfast, shredded wheat.
Sorry if this was a stupid question x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I took the first pill yesterday before dinner. Then 1 just now with breakfast, shredded wheat.
Sorry if this was a stupid question x
It's not a stupid question, you want to educate yourself. If it's normal Metformin and you have any stomach issues, there is always slow release but hopefully it's all good!

Shredded wheat is not the best of foods carb wise, some have found that higher carb food and Metformin don't always play so well together and cereals and wheat products also not so good for blood sugar's but that's something to learn over time too

Good luck

Reactions: Luvly

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There is no evidence that Metformin causes cancer and in fact it is claimed by many medics that it can help avoid some cancers. It is a very safe drug. In the even that it causes bowel issues that last for over 2-3 weeks then ask for the Slow Release version Metformin SR.

Luvly

It's not a stupid question, you want to educate yourself. If it's normal Metformin and you have any stomach issues, there is always slow release but hopefully it's all good!

Shredded wheat is not the best of foods carb wise, some have found that higher carb food and Metformin don't always play so well together and cereals and wheat products also not so good for blood sugar's but that's something to learn over time too

Good luck
I have somuch the o learn on what I can have and what should avoid.
I have a long journey ahead of me.
Thank you again.

Blackheath_Teahut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had that worry too when I started taking them about 7 weeks ago. I researched it and found it was linked to the slow-release variety which was recalled. I personally will not take the slow-release variety if offered to me until the finds are updated/I research intensively to satisfy myself.

Initially, my stomach was a bit crazy and I felt a bit trippy once or twice in the first two weeks but now I get no problems at all.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had that worry too when I started taking them about 7 weeks ago. I researched it and found it was linked to the slow-release variety which was recalled. I personally will not take the slow-release variety if offered to me until the finds are updated/I research intensively to satisfy myself.

Initially, my stomach was a bit crazy and I felt a bit trippy once or twice in the first two weeks but now I get no problems at all.
The problem was related to one very obscure brand and I believe only some batches. It was a manufacturing fault and not due to the normal formulation.

Luvly

Thank you. Hopefully if I get an upset stomach it won't be too bad.