Worried and scared diagnosed type2

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately everything we have been told about avoiding fat to keep cholesterol low is based on very weak science. In general ignore any diet advice that comes from the NHS or similar places. Fat is good for us - Carbs can be bad for us as they are converted to fat if not used (the NHS don't tell you that). Avoid tropical fruits but apples ARE OK.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Advice given when cholesterol high, that’s what’s been trying to control for years not type 2, that’s what’s now come on, I was told eating too much red meat, fav meal, steak, burgers, bacon, told needed to cut out biscuits and eat fruit as better sugars, hence bananas, apples etc.

Told to have 3 meals a day without snacking, just fruits, so evening meals third meat, third veg, third potatoes, chips form, mash, roast etc
I cut out the carbs, if you fill up on good fats etc you will not feel hungry. I have one main meal a day now and very rarely get hungry. Plus I have lost just over 4.5 stone in a year.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apples are OK if you can cope with them. I can't. My glucose meter tells me so in no uncertain numbers.
I have under 40 g of carbs a day from low carb sources and that has fixed things.
Almost all the apples from the trees in the garden fell to the ground and have been enjoyed by the birds and - presumably - small mammals, and they'll be around for them to enjoy for some time to come. I just hope it will not improve the hunting success of the neighbourhood cats to have slightly tipsy prey tottering about.

JayBee28

Please do not despair, we have all been there. My HBA1C was 56, two months later 48. Since September I’ve lost almost two stone. I’ve pretty much gone against all advice I was given at the Doctors. I have got all the good information from these forums.

I’m doing mega low carb. I’ve cut out sugar in tea, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, root veg, porridge, cereal, flour, sweets, bread, cakes, biscuits etc. The doctor said if you want to eat bread or pasta make it wholemeal and porridge should be fine. Absolutely not, I tried porridge and my glucose level went to 13! So never again. I don’t go near bread or pasta.

Also, I was told not to get a glucose meter. It’s the best thing I have purchased. Testing myself before and 2 hours after a meal has been an invaluable source of information. You can see what meals agree and do not. It shouldn’t go up more than 2 mmol 2 hours after a meal.

I find strawberries and raspberries work really well for me with full fat yoghurt for breakfast with some walnuts. I would stay away from bananas and apples.

My cholesterol was a little high, but I decided to look after my diabetes first and foremost. I was pleasantly surprised, my cholesterol is now in the normal range. I have been eating more red meat, cheese and full fat yoghurt that before. I try and get healthy fat from nuts and olive oil.

You have got this, we’ve all been where you are.

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For years been prediabetc 17 and 18 hba1c 45, 46. Then in 2019 went to 50. With exercise and food in 5 months got that to
41. Then this year another blood test July 21 came back 53. Said was covid related, comfort eating, live alone and said would alter diet again.

im on atorvistattin for high cholesterol btw.

Walking daily 10k steps, diet 3 meals a day, cut out chocolate, had banana and apple a day, more chicken than red meat, veg and potatoes, porridge or weetabix breakfast and whole meal bread, chicken, tuna or hame sandwiches at dinner,

3 months later worst score ever today of 54. Don’t understand it and feel thick as really don’t understand food types. Don’t have sugars in tea, coffee either,

feel lost
You have had some bad advice, Good news is there is plenty of scope for rapid improvement. You are roughly where I was two years ago. What worked for me was cutting out completely bread, pasta and rice (all colours), sugars, fruit, cereals, potatoes and almost all other root vegetables (occasional carrots). I take in about 20g carbs/day total.

Because I had a high total cholesterol score (means very little) I was pressured to take statins (which I will not do). Roll forward and I am now in T2 remission and my total cholesterol is lower than it's been in years (yours is much lower than mine btw), with everything else in range. Unfortunately my key message is that what the NHS tells us T2s to eat is actually harmful. It's changing, but slowly - I have talked to an excellent NHS dietitian locally who was very pro low-carb.

On fruit - I can't cope with apples, maybe you can. Only way for you to find out is fingerprick testing, which will tell you pretty well what foods do to your blood sugar levels. The fructose in fruit can be a problem for many.