Worried newly diagnosed

Kennytg

Hi all was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday and today I feel so worried about what is happening to me I'm worried I'm going to die I would love some advice on how to cope with being diabetic I feel lost and confused with what to eat feeling tired all the time hope to hear from people don't no what else to do

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome. Do you know what your hba1c was?

Read the link in my signature. There are loads of things you can eat, just a little differently. Have a look at diet doctor.com for some ideas.

You are going to be fine. Ask all the questions you want.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday and today I feel so worried about what is happening to me I'm worried I'm going to die I would love some advice on how to cope with being diabetic I feel lost and confused with what to eat feeling tired all the time hope to hear from people don't no what else to do
Oh, that sounds like how I felt when diagnosed...! Good news then: You're not about to keel over any time soon, and there's LOADS you can do yourself to get your blood sugars back into the normal range. Even without medication! You're not on a runaway train here, you've got the brakes available if you want them, as you just have to make a few changes in diet. Simple, no? @xfieldok already referred you to The Nutritional Thingy, and I'm hoping that'll put your mind at ease some. You're going to be okay. I wish someone'd told me that when I thought I had one foot in the grave (with the unrelenting fatigue I would've halfway welcomed that rest!), but yeah. You'll be fine. And you'll get your energy back too. I promise.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Kennytg

Oh, that sounds like how I felt when diagnosed...! Good news then: You're not about to keel over any time soon, and there's LOADS you can do yourself to get your blood sugars back into the normal range. Even without medication! You're not on a runaway train here, you've got the brakes available if you want them, as you just have to make a few changes in diet. Simple, no? @xfieldok already referred you to The Nutritional Thingy, and I'm hoping that'll put your mind at ease some. You're going to be okay. I wish someone'd told me that when I thought I had one foot in the grave (with the unrelenting fatigue I would've halfway welcomed that rest!), but yeah. You'll be fine. And you'll get your energy back too. I promise.
Thank you so much

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The tiredness goes when you get your numbers down. If you wear glasses, don't change your prescription in the near future. Your vision may change.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No wasnt given or advised by doctor
Don't expect help or support from the NHS.
Best is self help and education, starting with this forum. You can take control of your own health.
Was was your hba1c number?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox can give you some advice on affordable meters.

It is your best tool to getting your blood back to a healthy range. Take a reading before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite. If the rise is more than 2 you have eaten something you can't tolerate.

If you feel shaky, take a reading. If it is a normal reading, it could be s false hypo. Your body may be used to running at a high level of glucose. When it drops to normal levels it gets confused. It will catch up in due course.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @xfieldok Hi @Kennytg and welcome to the forum.

METER RECOMMENDATIONS
Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

HOME HEALTH have the Gluco Navii, which is a fairly new model and seems to be getting good reviews, links to the strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively.

Then they sell the older SD Code Free, details to be found here!

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Discount codes for the Code Free strips (which I have used in the past but I don’t know if they still work)

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

SPIRIT HEALTHCARE have a meter called the Tee2 + found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...e2-blood-glucose-meter?variant=19264017268793

with the strips found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/co...py-of-tee2-test-strips?variant=19264017367097

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

If there is a choice of units of measurement then ‘mmol/L’ are the standard units in the UK, ‘mg/dl’ in the US, other countries may vary.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Kennytg and welcome to the forum. You have had a nasty shock and may or may not have been given any useful advice along with your diagnosis. You will find lots of helpful advice and support here. Although we are not medics we can help with understanding things like blood results.
What is your HbA1c?
Have you been prescribed any medication?
What would you eat and drink on a typical day?
This might feel like the end of the world but it really isn't. This condition can be brought under control and managed. Take heart.

Kennytg

Hi Kennytg and welcome to the forum. You have had a nasty shock and may or may not have been given any useful advice along with your diagnosis. You will find lots of helpful advice and support here. Although we are not medics we can help with understanding things like blood results.
What is your HbA1c?
Have you been prescribed any medication?
What would you eat and drink on a typical day?
This might feel like the end of the world but it really isn't. This condition can be brought under control and managed. Take heart.
Hi not sure what my HbA1c was doc has put me on Metformin and a stating I used to eat and drink everything now trying to watch what I eat been feeling dizzy tried to lay bedroom flooring but everytime I get up I'm dizzy and sweating I'm just worried about everything

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ring the Dr and ask for your hba1c number. It gives you a starting point.

Tell us what you eat in a typical day. Chances are your body is just confused. Remember that stress can raise your blood glucose.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
When you say watch what you eat what are you actually eating? You may have been given dietary advice that is suitable for someone without diabetes but not good for someone with our condition. Basically we are intolerant of carbohydrates and continuing to consume them will make the condition worse despite taking medication.
Sudden changes in your blood glucose levels can make you feel dizzy and sweaty.
Does your surgery give you online access to your test results? You could find what your HbA1c (blood glucose) reading was.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Discount codes for the Code Free strips (which I have used in the past but I don’t know if they still work)

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833
A friend very recently ordered the 5 packs of strips, and yes, the code still works.