Prediabetes worried

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know there are a lot of experts here and wonder if I can tap you all for information and advice?

I am totally confused to what is going on with my sugar levels and why, for about 2 months now they have been a lot higher than they were and I cannot get them down. I have searched the web and wonder if I have “physiologic insulin resistance”, if I have what do I do about it? Is it bad? does it put me into the “at risk of complications” area?

In the mornings my blood sugar is 111 (6.1) - 120 (6.7). I have tried eating breakfast and going without breakfast, it makes no difference. Lunch time - I am still 110 (6.1) - 112 (6.2) and post lunch in the early 90’s (5.3). We eat in the evening and before the meal I can be anywhere from 89 (5.0) - 108 (6.0) and post meal 91 (5.0) - 98 (5.5).

I eat LCHF and keep to around 20 carbs a day. I thought maybe I was having too much protein, so I watched that and tried cutting that down, but that did not help either. I am now getting worried because I am trying to avoid the slippery slope.

Yesterday - FBG 118 (6.6) I missed breakfast, lunch pre meal BG 112 (6.2) - I had a 2 egg omelette with cabbage, some blackberries with cream, 2hr post lunch 93 (5.2). Pre meal BG 108 (6.) - Chicken and mushrooms cooked in cream with cabbage and cauliflower - 2 hr post meal - 91 (5.). This morning 120 (6.7). Had a good nights sleep. Since last August I have lost 14 kilos.

Please help

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks to me like your sugar levels are higher in the morning.
I presume you have read up on the dawn phenomenon which often leads to higher morning readings? Apart from those (which aren't bad) your other readings and menus look great. It took over 6 months for my morning readings to get down to "normal" and they can still be a bit "off" even after 2 1/2 years on keto. I wouldn't stress about it too much. Your numbers look great and the weight loss will have helped enormously.. so KCKO (Keep Calm and Keto On).

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What you seem to be suffering from is Dawn Phenomenon (a liver dump), rather than what you suggest (physiological insulin resistance). Apart from your morning numbers, your numbers are excellent, and your morning numbers aren't that bad.

This is perfectly normal, it happens to everyone (including healthy non-diabetics) and there isn't a great deal you can do about it. It is your liver dumping stored glucose to get you going in the morning. It shows you have diabetes-related insulin resistance , otherwise your natural insulin would clear this dumped glucose quickly.

Have a read round and search for threads on Dawn Phenomenon and Liver Dumps. THis may help
https://blog.virtahealth.com/dawn-phenomenon/

Physiological IR would show increased levels during the day as well as mornings.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've given up worrying about the liver dump, it happens regular as clockwork,its worse if I eat more the previous day . In Japan it was funny to watch - the changed time zones took it into the afternoon instead - so I could see my body trying to adjust to the new time - it didn't properly over 3 weeks ! and on returning to the west s equally confused now, off to new York next. I'm kinda hoping that by the time that's done, my liver might be so confused as to what actually is morning then it will give up doing the "morning" dumping. Always look on the bright side !

Reactions: Alison Campbell

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I am Pre-Diabetic I can be around 5.6 5.8 in the mornings. I will quite often go all day without eating..I will be around 5.7 but when I eat then on testing I am around 5.1 or 2 So I am like you higher in the mornings and lower when I eat. I am not worried about being slightly higher in the mornings. If I have had a bad sleep I have been known to be around 6.1 in the morning.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, thanks for your answers and help. I feel I am high all the time not just the mornings. All my readings are about 20 (1.2) higher than they were about 2.5 months ago. I was starting the days about 92 (5.) and would be down to 75 ish (4.2) by the end of the day, so it all seems quite high to me.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Can I ask what your levels are 30 / 60 min after eating?

How high can your blood sugar raise?

None of your blood sugar seems high to me, only your fasting glucose, which can be dawn phenomenon and not pre-diabetes.

How does your blood sugar respond to eating carbs?

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I am Pre-Diabetic I can be around 5.6 5.8 in the mornings. I will quite often go all day without eating..I will be around 5.7 but when I eat then on testing I am around 5.1 or 2 So I am like you higher in the mornings and lower when I eat. I am not worried about being slightly higher in the mornings. If I have had a bad sleep I have been known to be around 6.1 in the morning.

Can I ask how 5-6-5.8 can be pre-diabetic? Sound pretty normal and not pre-diabetic to me. Asking just out of curiousety.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask what your levels are 30 / 60 min after eating?

How high can your blood sugar raise?

None of your blood sugar seems high to me, only your fasting glucose, which can be dawn phenomenon and not pre-diabetes.

How does your blood sugar respond to eating carbs?

My blood sugar after 1 hour has been mostly on the way down again but not reached the figure I stated with.

Today my BFG was 109 at 7am, I had 2 eggs, bacon and a fried tomato and 2 hour after I was 110 but at 13:40 pre lunch I was 120. I then just had Greek yogurt, lot of cinnamon and cream and a piece of cheddar. I was a 111 1hr afterwards and a 110 2 hours after eating. I had been out digging in the garden and wonder if that caused todays figures? I was 92 pre meal tonight and 1 hr later 96. A couple of months ago I was down in mid 70's by late afternoon, in the mornings FBG I was in the mid 90's.
Any thoughts and advice would be good please.

Sorry edited it to say - I tried a small slice of bread a couple of months back and my BG shot up and stayed for a couple of days, but have not tried since. I wondered if I should try again with about 40 carbs a day?

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugar after 1 hour has been mostly on the way down again but not reached the figure I stated with.

Today my BFG was 109 at 7am, I had 2 eggs, bacon and a fried tomato and 2 hour after I was 110 but at 13:40 pre lunch I was 120. I then just had Greek yogurt, lot of cinnamon and cream and a piece of cheddar. I was a 111 1hr afterwards and a 110 2 hours after eating. I had been out digging in the garden and wonder if that caused todays figures? I was 92 pre meal tonight and 1 hr later 96. A couple of months ago I was down in mid 70's by late afternoon, in the mornings FBG I was in the mid 90's.
Any thoughts and advice would be good please.

Sorry edited it to say - I tried a small slice of bread a couple of months back and my BG shot up and stayed for a couple of days, but have not tried since. I wondered if I should try again with about 40 carbs a day?

To be honest none of those reading seems off or pre-diabetic to me. As long as your blood sugar never gets over 200 and get below 140 after 2 hours your by medical terms healthy and not even pre-diabetic.

Yes your fasting blood sugar are a little off, but your other reading and blood sugar after eating indicates that you’re normal and not pre-diabetic.

If you were pre-diabetic your blood sugar would be more off by eating. I think your higher fasting blood sugar are caused by some odd sort of lever dump, but I wouldn’t say you have any problems with carbs or at risk for diabetes.

Can I ask how you were diagnose as pre-diabetic? :)

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest none of those reading seems off or pre-diabetic to me. As long as your blood sugar never gets over 200 and get below 140 after 2 hours your by medical terms healthy and not even pre-diabetic.

Yes your fasting blood sugar are a little off, but your other reading and blood sugar after eating indicates that you’re normal and not pre-diabetic.

If you were pre-diabetic your blood sugar would be more off by eating. I think your higher fasting blood sugar are caused by some odd sort of lever dump, but I wouldn’t say you have any problems with carbs or at risk for diabetes.

Can I ask how you were diagnose as pre-diabetic? :)

I wanted to renew my driving licence and had to have a medical, the doctor found I had high blood pressure and sent me for blood tests. Not sure what was tested but it said my FBG was 120, so she said I was pre-diabetic. That was last August, so I went LCHF and got a meter, I have lost the 14 KG now, but when I had a follow up blood check in February my levels had gone down but now they have gone up again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wanted to renew my driving licence and had to have a medical, the doctor found I had high blood pressure and sent me for blood tests. Not sure what was tested but it said my FBG was 120, so she said I was pre-diabetic. That was last August, so I went LCHF and got a meter, I have lost the 14 KG now, but when I had a follow up blood check in February my levels had gone down but now they have gone up again.

Have you any idea which tests you have had? An HbA1c for example?
If you have no idea, and no idea what the results were, I suggest you find out. You really need to know all this information.

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you any idea which tests you have had? An HbA1c for example?
If you have no idea, and no idea what the results were, I suggest you find out. You really need to know all this information.

I have my results -

July 17 - FBG 120, total cholestarol and Trig up slightly, HDL down slightly, Creatina also up slightly. Dr said I pre diabetic.

Dec 17 - FBG 103, HbA1c 5.6%Hb - 38. trigs etc not listed. Dr said I was not diabetic.

Feb 18 - FBG 100, HbA1c5.3% - 34, trig 1.0, HDL 80, LDL 94.8. 2 a4 pages of results with most results being in the middle of the scale.

Since the last test my FBG and day time BG have all gone up again and it is this that worries me, because I am eating the same.
I have been reading the book - blood sugar 101, where she says that to avoid complications your BG should be down to 120 1hr after meals and 85 2hrs after meals. I was achieving this a couple of months age but not now. Perhaps I am worrying to much, as I know my figures are good against most of all you experts but there is a lot I do not understand with all of the test results.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited: