Would Carbs 45-70 cause keto flu ?

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been on LCHF for about 4 months now at about 30-45g carbs. I've lost a few pounds and brought blood sugar down which has helped my neuropathy. Now I'd like to increase carbs a bit to say 45-70g (eg to add some berries). I'm worried that this might cause me to go in and out of ketosis and this might cause keto flu.

Any experience of increasing carbs to the 45-70 range ?

(I think some diets like CSIRO low carb diet recommend about 60-70g so presumably they don't think its a problem)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Everyone is different.

Also, you may go in and out of ketosis with no symptoms; this is one of the problems with staying in ketosis. You can't really tell without testing your blood because even testing your urine can give false results.

Best I can suggest is to try it, but test your urine with ketostix for a while beforehand to establish a baseline,

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it keto/low carb/Atkins flu is the name given to the withdrawal symptoms caused for some people by reducing from a high carb (addictive!) diet to a low carb one, generally very quickly, so increasing carbs slightly isn't likely to have the same effect.

When you are keto/fat adapted rather than necessarily just "in ketosis" your body will have regained its natural ability to burn both carbs and fats as fuel, and will automatically switch between the two (and generally also in and out of ketosis) all the time with no ill effects.

But your body may also have a carbs threshold - a point at which it may get unhappy if you start overindulging in too many carbs again - but I can't see a few berries causing any great issues...

Robbity

Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on LCHF for about 4 months now at about 30-45g carbs. I've lost a few pounds and brought blood sugar down which has helped my neuropathy. Now I'd like to increase carbs a bit to say 45-70g (eg to add some berries). I'm worried that this might cause me to go in and out of ketosis and this might cause keto flu.

(I think some diets like CSIRO low carb diet recommend about 60-70g so presumably they don't think its a problem)
May I ask where are you getting your carbs from at the moment?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

In my experience. Yes in some.

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your replies.
@bulkbiker I get carbs from:
Flaxbread, Atkins crispbread
Avocados, tomatoes, mushrooms
Green veg like broccoli cabbage
Onions carrots
Nuts

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems that for lots of people adding two teaspoons of salt a day to their food avoids the "keto flue". It is very likely that salt intakes comes down a lot on LCHF just because people stop eating ready meals etc, it also seems that a little more salt is needed when on LCHF.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As ketosis simply means using fat related energy sources, most people go in and out of the condition several times a day - it is perfectly natural.
If you increase your carbs gradually over a month or so you can test your ability to cope with carbs - if you have never read Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution to see how he advises it be done you might find it very useful at this juncture.
Personally I would not eat flax or crisp breads at such a low level of carbs, and you might find that swapping them for the berries you are wanting to include could be beneficial, particularly if you eat them with cream. I was stalled with my weight and discovered that what I needed was strawberries and cream. With them I see my weight creep down, without and weightloss stops, I even see gains!!

Reactions: Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies.
@bulkbiker I get carbs from:
Flaxbread, Atkins crispbread
Avocados, tomatoes, mushrooms
Green veg like broccoli cabbage
Onions carrots
Nuts
OK seemed quite a high carb intake maybe drop the carrots and add berries.. I try to stay under 20g per day but can still usually fit in some raspberries.

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
OK seemed quite a high carb intake maybe drop the carrots and add berries.. I try to stay under 20g per day but can still usually fit in some raspberries.
Thanks again for all your ideas.

My aim is to keep blood sugar down but I don't need to lose any more weight and would prefer to add some fruit and increase carbs a bit. I'll give it a go !

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your suggestion @Resurgam about the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution. I've been reading some of it and it gives a clear explanation of how to increase carbs and the effect on fat burning etc. Fingers crossed I can find a way of increasing carbs without my blood sugar increasing.