Would It Be Selfish For Type 2 Diabetics To Have Children?

fieldsing

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
getting hurt, procrastination, elevators
Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family, and I fear that I will pass Type 2 to my children someday, since the chances of passing on Type 2 will increase on them. On top of that having Type 2 also includes a high risk pregnancy. Any advice?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A well controlled type 2 shouldn’t mean high risk pregnancy. Though historically not so many people aren’t or weren’t being diagnosed during their baby making years. If you haven’t already getting things under control should be the goal not avoiding parenthood entirely.

Whilst I agree there is some element of genetic risk in families, there is a much higher risk from shared eating and lifestyle habits. I think it’s pretty extreme to not have kids as a result. What I’ve done as a result of my diagnosis (after my kids were born) is to make sure they understand the importance of a sensible low sugar, real food, careful carbs way of eating and keeping physically active. I consider mine at less risk compared to the lifestyle choices many of their peers make.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I think having children in general is selfish, it doesn't matter if you have diabetes or not. You're having a baby for yourself, not for someone else. Of course, the risk of heredity is much higher than in people without diabetes, but it's up to you to have children or not. If your child inherits t2, will you blame yourself, will you be able to live with it? Would you blame your parent if you inherited diabetes yourself? I think the answer will be very different for different people.
Well, pregnancy in any case is dangerous even for healthy people, but modern medicine can significantly reduce the risk of complications if you plan it and visit a doctor on time.
I think you need to answer the question do you want a child badly enough to accept all these risks, will you love him even if everything goes according to the worst scenario, will you be able to help him become happy no matter what?

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Having children is thr ultimate blessing. You have a choice to potential bring up to favour savoury. Teach any child you have how to cook from scratch, make treats themselves and the truth about all food types.

If you also are able to take a holistic approach to well being such as a sport, instrument, family and social interaction, not only will the child benefit, but so will you watching the growth.

Reactions: ElenaP

Stephen Bond

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Bureaucracy. Poor quality. Boredom
Having children is thr ultimate blessing. You have a choice to potential bring up to favour savoury. Teach any child you have how to cook from scratch, make treats themselves and the truth about all food types.

If you also are able to take a holistic approach to well being such as a sport, instrument, family and social interaction, not only will the child benefit, but so will you watching the growth.
We found that whatever a child eats mostly in infancy, directs their tastes in food. We gave ours loads of water and no sweet drinks which were popular at the time. Kids parties were difficult as some mothers did not like our kids saying no to Ribena and sweet drinks. One of mine came home once and asked for glass of gravy. It took us weeks before we found out someone had given it to him at a party, and told him it was gravy, so he thought it is OK to drink, as it is not a fruit juice or a fizzy drink!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at all. If a child grows up without over indulging in high carb food as I did they might never be diagnosed as their glucose levels will be in the normal range. I am sure that it was only the HCPs’ insistence on high carb low fat as a healthy diet that pushed my levels so high as they were at diagnosis. Hopefully that will be abandoned before too long.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think it's selfish, it's one of those things that happen, I am sure that I was not a planned edition to the family. Just a result of a quick one on a sunday arvo.

Look what happens in third world countries that have been in famines and droughts wars for years they still breed so they have plenty of children to look after them when they are old. If they have surplus daughters they sell them off to feed the boys and themselves.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not think it's selfish, it's one of those things that happen, I am sure that I was not a planned edition to the family. Just a result of a quick one on a sunday arvo.

Look what happens in third world countries that have been in famines and droughts wars for years they still breed so they have plenty of children to look after them when they are old. If they have surplus daughters they sell them off to feed the boys and themselves.
Human nature.. or the instinct of any species. Procreate.. Not my “bag” We live child free.. like the idea of finding my living space just as I left it the night before?

& Yarp after dong the “maff” & my mum seeing the cogs working in a 10 year old brain on my parent’s wedding anniversary
She did the right thing. I’m happy & honoured to be around my parents when they need me..

To @fieldsing , if you are planning an addition to your family? Work closely with your HCP. I’m share you will be brilliant when you decide the time is right for you..

• Agree
Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Human nature.. or the instinct of any species. Procreate.. Not my “bag” We live child free.. like the idea of finding my living space just as I left it the night before?

& Yarp after dong the “maff” & my mum seeing the cogs working in a 10 year old brain on my parent’s wedding anniversary
She did the right thing. I’m happy & honoured to be around my parents when they need me..

To @fieldsing , if you are planning an addition to your family? Work closely with your HCP. I’m share you will be brilliant when you decide the time is right for you..
I think the issue is whether or not to have kids BECAUSE of type 2, rather than for other reasons which may be perfectly valid and reasonable for those choosing either route. As much as I love my kids and am glad I have them I 1000% see the appeal of living child free too ;)