Would this cereal be bad

Irishmist66

Type 2 here. Fed up of weetabix and porridge still not great at figuring it out.
20230729_182825.jpg
20230729_183317.jpg

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I couldn't eat anything like that.
Some Fage Greek yogurt and fresh fruit is still slightly dodgy for me. Berries better. But even that couldn't do it every day. Coffee and cream safer.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t think we can ever call any foods ‘bad’, @Irishmist66 . It would depend on lots of things. Though would add that for those of us with T2diabetes, who are not on insulin or medication that can cause hypos, that would cause a large spike in blood glucose levels, and if that was a typical breakfast every day, most of us would see increases in HbA1c levels, over time.

It isn’t clear from your member profile, whether you are taking diabetes medication, but I noticed for another of your posts that you have HbA1c of 40. This is just below pre diabetes diagnosis level, but if you have have higher levels in the past you are predisposed to those levels increasing again.

The best way to understand how any food affects your levels is to test immediately before eating, then 2 hours later. This link explains it

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Irishmist66, have you been testing before and 2 hours after eating porridge and wheatabix? If so what are your numbers like?

That’s the only way to know if you can tolerate the carb content (not just the sugars) of any food. You are looking if a rise of no more than 2 2hrs after eating. I suspect that if you are diet controlled only you may be getting higher than ideal numbers.

Myself and most of the people with T2 diabetes on the forum couldn’t eat breakfast cereals of any type, I would be in double figures with that and other cereals. You may fare better on eggs, bacon, full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries and nuts. Some cheese.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Everyone weetabix nor porridge spike me I have them with strawberries. I take 500mg metformin twice a day and 3mg of trulicity injection once a week. On steroids at minute so monitoring my levels closer just now. Thank you all
Then they may be ok for you, the only way is to test and see, let us know how you get on if you do try them :)

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I bought a meter to test my blood sugar it was clear that porridge, weetabix, etc. were off my list of food to eat.
Although once I was heading for remission I could have up to 30g of carbs in a meal (a lot more than some T2s) but that has to include the milk I add to cereal plus milk in 2 coffees - and it was a max not the preferred amount of carbs.

While eggs, cheese, bacon and mushrooms all make great breakfasts for T2s doing low carb/not on hypo-inducing meds or insulin I don't like cooked breakfasts so I developed a mix of milled flaxseed, chia seed and other chopped nuts and seeds plus cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Mostly flaxseed although I added a little oatbran until I got used to the taste.
Cooked in water with coconut milk stirred in then served with double cream. Lower carb than other cereals and it is very filling.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Likewise, coconut flour porridge..

the dietdoctor has some very useful low carb / keto recipes.

Reactions: coby

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn’t eat that
If I fancy cereal i would have 2 boiled eggs then different nuts, seeds, coconut, berries & unsweetened almond milk after (having protein first helps stop the rise)

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and filly

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all had a small bowl at 10 just tested sugars ..were 6.2 and 2 hours after eating cereal they 7.9?

Is the 6.2 pre meal?
If it is then the cereal is just about ok.
but it does mean that the spike is higher than I would wish, on that portion size!
I take it, you had milk with it?
Was it semi skimmed?
You probably would be better with full fat milk if that is the case.
I know it might be difficult to understand, did you have a cuppa with that or another drink? Cos that could also impact the results.
it is a minefield. And the purpose of knowledge with testing is to reduce the spikes and getting your hba1c levels down back towards normal levels.
best wishes

Reactions: MissMuffett

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all had a small bowl at 10 just tested sugars ..were 6.2 and 2 hours after eating cereal they 7.9?
At a quick look that might seem ok, however it would be worth checking your blood sugar at one hour to see what that shows, it may show a spike, or likewise test after 3 hours as any milk, especially full fat might delay a spike til later. Of course the best way to look at it all is to use a CGM (continuous glucose monitor). Libre do a free two week trial.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Irishmist66

Is the 6.2 pre meal?
If it is then the cereal is just about ok.
but it does mean that the spike is higher than I would wish, on that portion size!
I take it, you had milk with it?
Was it semi skimmed?
You probably would be better with full fat milk if that is the case.
I know it might be difficult to understand, did you have a cuppa with that or another drink? Cos that could also impact the results.
it is a minefield. And the purpose of knowledge with testing is to reduce the spikes and getting your hba1c levels down back towards normal levels.
best wishes
Sorry it was 6.0 before yes pre meal and yes had cup of tea. I had semi skimmed milk why is full fat better? It's all very confusing. I just thought maybe once a week could have this for a treat .. I don't have time before work to do much..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry it was 6.0 before yes pre meal and yes had cup of tea. I had semi skimmed milk why is full fat better? It's all very confusing. I just thought maybe once a week could have this for a treat .. I don't have time before work to do much..
Once a week if you can be sure the portion size didn’t increase you could probably get away with. Did it fill you up? Keep you full til lunchtime with no need to snack? Carbs don’t achieve that for me for long at all. They make me more hungry.

It really does pay to find other options you can actually fill up on for the rest of the week