Would you book a holiday knowing your child may well be t1 by the time it comes round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or it highlights that you ARENT like all the other kids who can eat what they want in this magical place and not worry about numbers.

Or the plane may crash on the way over. Or one of the rides may develop a fault. Or the ice-cream could have anthrax in it. Or world war 3 could break out while you are over there.

You can choose to put the most positive or the most negative slant on anything.

Put yourself in your child's position: if you get diagnosed with T1, do you want your mother to be able to give you all her great advice and experience in helping deal with it while having fun in Disneyland, or do you want your mother to stop you from doing fun stuff, and always pointing out the worst in everything - even things which are not even things and may never happen?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A two year old worrying about their numbers?
Are you being serious?

No but she wouldn't be able to have certain things perhaps and she might feel ill if she did and then had high sugars afterwards.
It's hard enough to manage even in a routine but it's virtually impossible when out of one.
That's my experience anyway.

D

Deleted member 308541

We'd possibly like to book Disneyland Paris for next easter - booking early makes it a fair bit cheaper - and my husband doesn't want to go this year as he says my daughter is too young as only 2.
Cheaper and safer to have a couple of days at Brighton...

Reactions: kev-w

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
We'd possibly like to book Disneyland Paris for next easter - booking early makes it a fair bit cheaper - and my husband doesn't want to go this year as he says my daughter is too young as only 2.
However it is likely that at some point - although I don't know exactly when - she is going to develop t1. It is strongly genetic in my family and she has had some high blood sugars here and there.
So we either book it and take out insurance and not tell the children so they aren't disappointed when we have to cancel or just leave it for now and accept we can't go.

If you knew you had a child that was likely to develop t1 what would you do?
I know Disneyland Paris well.
Plenty of rides for 2-3yr old. They will be well prepared, so rest assured. If in doubt give them a call. They are used to speaking English on their query line.

Like any holiday, even for me now. Do your homework and buy adequate insurance. Enquire about your concerns. Or use a good travel agent, they will give you additional info.

Enjoy your holiday! :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No but she wouldn't be able to have certain things perhaps and she might feel ill if she did and then had high sugars afterwards.
It's hard enough to manage even in a routine but it's virtually impossible when out of one.
That's my experience anyway.
You ARE actually serious?
This is so weird.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You ARE actually serious?
This is so weird.

Serious and worrying. This child hasn’t got diabetes. This obsession with what may or may not happen has me concerned for the child’s mental health. Or is that just me?

Reactions: Picci and Babyweed

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Life goes on and by the sounds of it you're going to be well prepared when the diagnosis comes through, so I'm not too sure what the problem is.
I wish your daughter well.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Serious and worrying. This child hasn’t got diabetes. This obsession with what may or may not happen has me concerned for the child’s mental health. Or is that just me?

No, I'm pretty sure it's not just you. Not wishing to be flippant, but quite seriously, I think that a potential diagnosis of T1 is the least of this child's worries.

Counselling has been suggested before, and that's really the best advice as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Babyweed

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it's a recurring theme and I do worry for the D.

Reactions: Babyweed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all have our limits of risk and for me, personally, the anxiety over taking a t1 child abroad and the potential risks would outweigh the enjoyment. We would holiday in the UK.
I wish really my husband would agree to going this year.
I haven't checked my daughter in some time but I plan to go through trial net once she turns three.
Does anyone know if the antibodies come back positive if that affects things like insurance?

ExtremelyWorried, I'm with the others to suggest that you guys live your lives without too many concessions about what the future will bring. None of us know what tomorrow brings, and there are exceptions to every rule - even those we impose on ourselves.

For example, last year I had a raft of tests for AI conditions, based on some symptoms and a family history that sort of freaked out the Endo. His comment was along the lines of "if you haven't got at least one of those, I'll eat my hat. At this point I have dodged every single of those AI bullets.

Will that be forever? Obviously I have no idea, bit I do know I have no more intention of looking at that very scary list of AI conditions rule my life's adventures than being diagnosed T2 3 weeks before leaving UK for a 9 month trip away from the NHS and for periods away from land, never mind medics.

Moving onto your query about insurance, provided you didn't lie on any application form about existing conditions or investigations being undergone a the time, a future event would not invalidate your insurance. That's the very nature of insurance.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Personally, I'm with the others, you'll never do anything if you keep putting stuff off for a possible future diagnosis. She's young enough so you don't need to tell her about it before you go (a 3 year old told about Disney Land will put on their coat and assume they're going that afternoon, trust me, I'm speaking from experience). My only hesitation is that she might enjoy it more when she's 4 but there are plenty of things to do there with a 3 year old.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Cheaper and safer to have a couple of days at Brighton...
Yeah, but that Megaslude takes a lot of climbing (hypo risk)

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In all likelihood we would stay home a LOT until she was older and I would probably home school... Everything is a risk assessment when t1 is involved.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please get help. Your daughter is fine, it's you who have the problem, you really do need counselling.

My son was diagnosed asthmatic at 2 years old. He had some really bad attacks early on which were very frightening. He wasn't very sporty but we encouraged cross country running to build up his lungs. Aged 8 he was on course for a medal if he did well in his last race. Then he got a heavy cold and wasn't fit to run. He wanted to run and I could see that the upset over not running was making him worse so I allowed him to run even though his asthma had started up again before the race. He was pushed over just after the start of the race but got up and finished 11th (not his usual standard, but good enough for a medal overall). He would never have forgiven me if I hadn't let him run and he knew when to stop for medical attention if necessary. It wasn't.

Your daughter may become T1, she may not. Either way there is nothing to stop her having a wonderful and fulfilled life doing everything other kids do.

Edit: To answer your question, yes I would book a holiday to Disney in your circumstances. I would also plan to have another one when the child is older so that she remembers it. Have fun with her and please stop worrying.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please get help. Your daughter is fine, it's you who have the problem, you really do need counselling.

My son was diagnosed asthmatic at 2 years old. He had some really bad attacks early on which were very frightening. He wasn't very sporty but we encouraged cross country running to build up his lungs. Aged 8 he was on course for a medal if he did well in his last race. Then he got a heavy cold and wasn't fit to run. He wanted to run and I could see that the upset over not running was making him worse so I allowed him to run even though his asthma had started up again before the race. He was pushed over just after the start of the race but got up and finished 11th (not his usual standard, but good enough for a medal overall). He would never have forgiven me if I hadn't let him run and he knew when to stop for medical attention if necessary. It wasn't.

Your daughter may become T1, she may not. Either way there is nothing to stop her having a wonderful and fulfilled life doing everything other kids do.

Edit: To answer your question, yes I would book a holiday to Disney in your circumstances. I would also plan to have another one when the child is older so that she remembers it. Have fun with her and please stop worrying.

You are braver than me then. It sounds like your son has a lot of determination.

T1 unfortunately DOES stop you doing everything normal children do. You only need to read what parents of t1 young children have to say. I've lived through it myself although I wasn't as young.
Children diagnosed before the age of 4 often suffer low level brain damage because of hypos and how they affect the developing brain. Once older the brain is less susceptible apparantly. They are more likely to have no hypo awareness. Their growth can be affected by high blood sugars. They are so variable in what they do and eat each day that managing and semblance of control must be a nightmare. This is why I would stick as closely as I could to a routine to try and prevent the dangerous lows and highs.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ExtremelyW0rried you will have to face this extreme and out of control anxiety.

We'd like you to do it before your 2yr old hits the education system. As they will do it for you.
Better you have control over it. In your time and at your pace. Yes?
Please seek out your diabetic psychologist.
I'm seeing mine today. They are lovely and very sympathetic to we mum's pressures and needs to look after our children. Protecting them from harm within our control.
And recognise the ones we can't.
They will help you put this all in perspective.

Call your dn now for they to refer you or call the general 'talk talk' psychological helpline equivalent in your local area.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are braver than me then. It sounds like your son has a lot of determination.

T1 unfortunately DOES stop you doing everything normal children do. You only need to read what parents of t1 young children have to say. I've lived through it myself although I wasn't as young.
Children diagnosed before the age of 4 often suffer low level brain damage because of hypos and how they affect the developing brain. Once older the brain is less susceptible apparantly. They are more likely to have no hypo awareness. Their growth can be affected by high blood sugars. They are so variable in what they do and eat each day that managing and semblance of control must be a nightmare. This is why I would stick as closely as I could to a routine to try and prevent the dangerous lows and highs.
My son's growth was affected by his conditions too. He is now a happy, short, confident 31 year old. Your child can have a lot of determination too, if you let her.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@ExtremelyW0rried Having type 1 does not stop you from doing everything someone else can do.
You are repeating the same theme and playing hypothetical games in your mind again with your child’s health , I along with many others urge you to seek counselling as otherwise these themes will continue to affect your life and those around you.
Your child does not have type 1 and even if she did, please let her live a normal life.

Reactions: Picci
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Childrasen diagnosed before the age of 4 often suffer low level brain damage because of hypos and how they affect the developing brain. Once older the brain is less susceptible apparantly. They are more likely to have no hypo awareness. Their growth can be affected by high blood sugars. They are so variable in what they do and eat each day that managing and semblance of control must be a nightmare. This is why I would stick as closely as I could to a routine to try and prevent the dangerous lows and highs.

I have a granddaughter and she was diagnosed with type 1 at 2 1/2 years, she was very ill. The symptoms come on quiet quickly, it is not a long duration. I can understand parents, I am one myself, worrying over a young child when they become ill, is perfectly normal, but thinking or possibly making up possible medical conditions is so worrying, harmful and not normal. I had my daughter at 42 1/2 with type 1 and she is 17 now and starting an apprentice job today, she is healthy and happy. What you are doing is wrong and could be a cause of authorities getting involved.
Help is needed asap !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.