Xylitol

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again Brunneria. I don't like the "metallic" taste of sweetex either - I prefer sugar - and I have not found a suitable alternative. I HATE tea or coffee without some kind of sweetner. Sugar and alcohol may have had a big hand in me developing Diabetes in the first place.

In that case, xylitol may well suit you! I found it a lovely flavour with none of the chemical aftertaste. I would still be using it if we didn't have dogs (it is deadly poisonous to them, because it causes hypos, but does not have that effect on humans).

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
In that case, xylitol may well suit you! I found it a lovely flavour with none of the chemical aftertaste. I would still be using it if we didn't have dogs (it is deadly poisonous to them, because it causes hypos, but does not have that effect on humans).

Thanks Brunneria. Might give it a try when in UK. I have 2 dogs here in Uganda and 6 cats but no animals at all in UK.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w
Does this mean it could be a good, occasional, remedy for constipation (due to LCHF)??? ;)
I might give it a try ... ;)

Hi @Energize,

Sorry for the late reply. It was a super crazy day at work and got home late. I also see that others have beaten me to the answer.:)

I am sure it would help with constipation, haven't figured out the exact timing and the exact amount yet to derive maximum benefit. ;) Might have to keep experimenting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Energize

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again Gayle. If xulitol is "alcohol sugar" why on earth do you want to put in tea and coffee? As a Diabetic it is strongly advisable that you do not consume either alcohol or sugar on a regular basis (depending on how much tea and coffee you drink in a day and how sweet you want them to be).

Personally, I would stay well clear from any sugar or alcohol. The odd "tipple" now and again may not do you any harm (unless you have a weakness for alcohol - i.e. former alcoholic) but tea and coffee some people tend to drink quite a lot of during the course of a day.

Perhaps it would be best to speak to your Doctor or Diabetic Nurse before going down that road.

You have certainty given us something to think about.

Welcome to the Forum.

Hi @Kyambala,

Xylitol seems to be a sugar alcohol that's been around for quite a while. I've read somewhere (don't recall where) that it was widely used in Finland during WWII due to a lack of regular sugar at the time.

I agree that we can never be entirely sure about the long-term effect of anything on our health. (I certainly didn't dream that there would be anything wrong with bread or potatoes or even fruit juices until I was diagnosed as diabetic.) I hope that the extended period of time that xylitol has been around would have alerted us to any really big problems if there are any.

By the way, I have heard many good things about erythritol -- good taste, no calories and fewer gastrointestinal problems, but haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: Kyambala

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hello @Brunneria,

Just wanted to let you know that I am always impressed by your posts. You are a veritable fountain of knowledge and I have learned so much from you during the months that I've read your posts on the forum. I very much like your sense of humor too. It has made me smile many times. Thank you.

Just wanted to add that xylitol doesn't seem to be dangerous to cats (though I agree that it is a problem for dogs).

Reactions: Brunneria

Canadian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: Kyambala

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Try Stevia instead (which is plant based and used by the Japanese for years rather than sugar) - Aldi do a tablet form which is cheap - and doesn't have the gastro problems that xylitol gives!

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find liquid Stevia to be an excellent sweetener. Just 2 or 3 drops will sweeten a drink with no strange taste. I use it with the juice of one lemon. Hate the powder version of it though. Reading on line Stevia is supposed to be good for our health.

Elaine

Hello Canadian. Where can I buy the liquid version of Stevia?

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
try ebay - I've found it there before - in all different flavours!

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
try ebay - I've found it there before - in all different flavours!

Oh dear Nicksu. I am a little wary of buying on the Internet just now. I purchased some books from Amazon in October last and the ones from Amazon came OK but the one from USA never arrived even though I paid for it. Then Amazon started using my Debit Card number to withdraw £7.99 each month from my account - they did it 3 times and I had to inform the bank to cancel my Debit Card and to report Amazon to the Police for fraud. Finally, after much hassle the money was re-credited to my account but I don't know whether the money came from Amazon or the Bank.

Now I prefer to buy from shops - even if they are dearer.

But thank you for the Info.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear Nicksu. I am a little wary of buying on the Internet just now. I purchased some books from Amazon in October last and the ones from Amazon came OK but the one from USA never arrived even though I paid for it. Then Amazon started using my Debit Card number to withdraw £7.99 each month from my account - they did it 3 times and I had to inform the bank to cancel my Debit Card and to report Amazon to the Police for fraud. Finally, after much hassle the money was re-credited to my account but I don't know whether the money came from Amazon or the Bank.

Now I prefer to buy from shops - even if they are dearer.

But thank you for the Info.
Sounds like you signed up for Amazon prime at the checkout stage...probably by clicking on one of those tempting "would you like this delivered tomorrow" tags they have.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you signed up for Amazon prime at the checkout stage...probably by clicking on one of those tempting "would you like this delivered tomorrow" tags they have.

Well said bulkbiker - thats exactly what I did. But I emailed them AFTER the first £7.99 was taken asking them to STOP and CANCEL any account I inadvertently signed up to - and also informed the Bank - but they ignored my request and continued to withdraw a further £7.99 on two more occasions. So I got very stroppy with the Bank - and it worked.

But I still never received the other book I paid for to some USA company through Amazon. So, that is a battle I have yet to fight with Amazon when I return to the UK.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Here in Canada, liquid stevia can be found in most grocery stores or health food stores. It comes in a very small bottle with a dropper and is very concentrated.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in Canada, liquid stevia can be found in most grocery stores or health food stores. It comes in a very small bottle with a dropper and is very concentrated.

Thanks Chalup. Perhaps I can get it in Holland & Barrett a heath food shop in the UK.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been reading the UK “Asda Guide for People with Diabetes”. It says:

1. Avoid being overweight

2. Starchy foods should make up the largest part of your diet.

3. Eat less fat, especially saturated fat.

4. Added sugar (sucrose) is acceptable.

On page 4 it says: “base your meals around rice, potato, bread, pasta or cereal”.

On page 5 it says: “All rice, pasta, bread, chapattis, cereals and potatoes .... are great foods”.

Page 6 says: “BREAKFAST: Fruit juice, chopped fruit on cereal, tomatoes on toast, fresh fruit e.g grapefruit, bananas”.

Page 7 recommends: “Semi Skinned & Skimmed Milk & Light Yorguts”.
Page 8 recommends: “Peas, beans, oats, pasta and rice dishes, curries and mince dishes”.

Page 9 suggests: “Diet Coke, Jams, Biscuits, Malted Milk, Scones and plain cakes. Pizzas & Pies”.

Page 10 suggests: “Banana & Date Loaf”.

Page 11 suggests: “ Apple & Pear Crumble. Marmalade Carrot Loaf”

This is the advice from “Commerce”. Now, what are the comments and advice from Diabetics “who have been there = experts”?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not all bad; I would eat the tomatoes, curry dishes, mince, peas and diet coke :)

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not all bad; I would eat the tomatoes, curry dishes, mince, peas and diet coke :)
Hello 4ratbags. Looking at your profile you are doing very well and probably the envy of most Diabetics - so why do you want to spoil a good record with the carbs in curry dishes, mince, peas and diet coke?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No carbs at all in diet coke and curry can be very low.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kyambala what carbs in curries, mince and diet coke. There's no carbs in mince, curry or diet coke it's all about what you put with it that's the issue. The item with the most carbs is the peas which I rarely eat anyway. Education is the key and you can find a LC alternative for almost anything.