Yoghurts?

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I've seen that full fat yoghurts are allowed and I've looked in Asda etc, but firstly, most of yoghurts there are of the low fat variety, and the others I've seen have quite high carbs. Am I missing something? I'm not that keen on them but if I could find a nice flavored one that is allowed then I'd def have them in fridge for when I feel like a snack etc.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I've seen that full fat yoghurts are allowed and I've looked in Asda etc, but firstly, most of yoghurts there are of the low fat variety, and the others I've seen have quite high carbs. Am I missing something? I'm not that keen on them but if I could find a nice flavored one that is allowed then I'd def have them in fridge for when I feel like a snack etc.
Try full fat yoghurts with 9/10 per cent fat. Low fat yoghurts are full of sugar - as I have explained more than once to my DN.

Try Lidl, Aldi, Tesco or Sainsbury's. They are all plain, but you can add a few nuts or maybe red currants.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try full fat yoghurts with 9/10 per cent fat. Low fat yoghurts are full of sugar - as I have explained more than once to my DN.

Try Lidl, Aldi, Tesco or Sainsbury's. They are all plain, but you can add a few nuts or maybe red currants.
Aaah, so there's not any flavored ones that's ok?

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Your looking for full fat Greek or Greek Style yogurts. Big litre tubs in Lidl for very little money. You can grab your protein rolls whilst your there.

Reactions: Noblescot

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Lidl also do a lactose free yoghurt.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat Greek yogurts - plain. (Fage do a good one) then you can add your own flavouring with a couple of sliced strawberries or some raspberries. I also mix in some ground flaxseed for the fibre.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the full fat greek style from Waitrose and add some frozen raspberries the yog is 3.7 g of carb per 100g. It kind of makes a frozen yoghurt especially with some double cream on it as well.

Reactions: KezG and Speedbird

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I use 3 or four scoops of "The Collective - Straight Up" unsweetened, which is perhaps borderline (7.2 per 100 grams), "FAGE Total" (3.8 per 100 grams), Onken "Natural Set" (3.4 per 100 grams). I alternate to keep it interesting. Lidl also have "Milbona Skyr Pots" which are 4.4 per 100 grams, I get these as a treat from time to time.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Proper full fat greek yoghurt (I buy mine from tescos). Give a good sprinkle of cinnamon powder and a few spoons of stevia powder (available from Aldi). Works for me when I have the odd sweet craving. I've tried others but this seems to work for me.

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Proper full fat greek yoghurt (I buy mine from tescos). Give a good sprinkle of cinnamon powder and a few spoons of stevia powder (available from Aldi). Works for me when I have the odd sweet craving. I've tried others but this seems to work for me.
I'm not a fan of greek yoghurt, unfortunately

Reactions: dbr10

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use 3 or four scoops of "The Collective - Straight Up" unsweetened, which is perhaps borderline (7.2 per 100 grams), "FAGE Total" (3.8 per 100 grams), Onken "Natural Set" (3.4 per 100 grams). I alternate to keep it interesting. Lidl also have "Milbona Skyr Pots" which are 4.4 per 100 grams, I get these as a treat from time to time.
those are all greek? afraid I'm not keen on greek yoghurt

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the full fat greek style from Waitrose and add some frozen raspberries the yog is 3.7 g of carb per 100g. It kind of makes a frozen yoghurt especially with some double cream on it as well.
I think I'm going to have to pass on yoghurt, not keen on greek ones at all

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Full fat Greek yogurts - plain. (Fage do a good one) then you can add your own flavouring with a couple of sliced strawberries or some raspberries. I also mix in some ground flaxseed for the fibre.
Back to the drawing board for me, don't actually like greek yoghurt thanks though

AvaK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your looking for full fat Greek or Greek Style yogurts. Big litre tubs in Lidl for very little money. You can grab your protein rolls whilst your there.
Unfortunately I don't like greek yoghurt, I could just about eat the mullerlight ones but they are high in carbs etc so they're a no no now

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best flavoured yoghurts are the full fat ones with fresh or frozen berries that you add yourself. You then have complete control. I actually add a dollop of Greek yoghurt to my little bowl of berries rather than the other way around - adding berries to yoghurt.

And as @Nicksu says you can add some flavouring or suitable for diabetics sweetener for variety.

But if you don't like Greek style yoghurt you don't have to include it in a low carb diet - it may be good for you but it's no way obligatory.

Robbity

PS The current yoghurts are nothing like the original mouth puckering :wacky: ones I can remember from when they first became available in the UK - NO sugar in them!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you can find local full fat yoghurt ,the one that I buy is called Lancashire farms and is not as strong or thick as the Greek yoghurt also it contains local milk rather than imported which must be better .I add berries and full fat Jersey double cream as a pudding but I also freeze the yoghurt with berries to make a sorbet
CAROL