You did warn me!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It's impressive how some things that were never sweet have become sweet, broccoli for example....
The "forbidden fruit" truly is not what it was cracked out to be.... though still a sucker for a roasted parsnip.
Ever onwards.
:)
Ahhhh, a roasted parsnip, sheer delight and haven't had one for yonks

Reactions: hankjam

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
If you are anything like me @Guzzler, you will find it becomes much more of a non-issue in year's time

I was only 6 months in at xmas last year, so 18 months now. last year whilst I tried to keep to low carb,I was constantly tempted and my xmas binge lasted about 5 days.

This year, I had a meal out on xmas eve, made it the one meal of the day three full courses all low carb except some vanilla ice-ceam. That led to me wanting some toast, so I had that as my xmas treat - the resulting indigestion etc, rather put me off continuing to " treat myself" :)

Xmas day, duck egg for breakkie, tons of turkey + veg + a couple of roast pots for lunch , a tiny spoon of the xmas pud mixed with some strawberries and cream .

I then didn't bother eating again until lunch today, which was an omeletts.
The thing that has really struck me is that my desire for the stuff I am " missing" out on, really has just gone away. I really don't want to feel like it makes me feel and the taste sensation really isn't that nice. I also didn't feel the need to eat again

Even when I do overeat, the idea of the overeating being something sweet, is no longer me at all. - hallelujah !

Blood sugars back to 4.9 today ( last Xmas it took me a week to get back under 7!)
Thanks so much for this. I'm 4 months in and never had a sweet tooth, didn't do cake and biscuits but would have an occasional scoop of ice cream. Now because I know I should be restricting carbs, I want sweet things. How can this be managed? Clearly there's some sort of psychological aspect to it?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for this. I'm 4 months in and never had a sweet tooth, didn't do cake and biscuits but would have an occasional scoop of ice cream. Now because I know I should be restricting carbs, I want sweet things. How can this be managed? Clearly there's some sort of psychological aspect to it?
Give Oppo ice cream a go! Mint Chocolate, Chocolate & Hazlenut, Madagascan Vanilla or Salted Caramel! Around 7-9g carbs for two scoops depending which flavour you pick! :hungry:
https://www.oppoicecream.co.uk/

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I had two very small roast potatoes but made up for it with roasted celeriac,which tastes like Parsnips
Is roast celeriac lower in carbs than parsnips?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Give Oppo ice cream a go! Mint Chocolate, Chocolate & Hazlenut, Madagascan Vanilla or Salted Caramel! Around 7-9g carbs for two scoops depending which flavour you pick! :hungry:
I just need to deal with this I suppose and not feed it. Need to revert to my normal self where seeing a packet of biscuits wouldn't turn me into a sweet freak monster. I never did sugar and now I want it all the time

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is roast celeriac lower in carbs than parsnips?
Celeriac is 2.3g carbs per 100g. Parsnips are 12.5g carbs per 100g. Both uncooked weight.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Forgot to say thanks, sorry just feeling bad. It's good information to know of a brand that has less sugar. Now to finda biscuit that has no sugar even if I never liked biscuits

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Celeriac is 2.3g carbs per 100g. Parsnips are 12.5g carbs per 100g. Both uncooked weight.
Wow, thanks. Perhaps there should be a cooking thread with little tips like this from everyone who's been working with D for a while

Reactions: pcs63

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to say thanks, sorry just feeling bad. It's good information to know of a brand that has less sugar. Now to finda biscuit that has no sugar even if I never liked biscuits
I love these low carb lemon shortbread!
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/lemon-almond-shortbread-cookies-low-carb-gluten-free/
Sorry if I’m leading you astray but I’ve a new found love of cooking and baking since being diagnosed and trying to feel like I’m not missing out completely!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, thanks. Perhaps there should be a cooking thread with little tips like this from everyone who's been working with D for a while
There’s a lot of tips and recipes in the Food and Nutrition section.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please try roasted Celeriac,they taste just like Parsnips without the high Carbs
I've tried them a couple of times without being won over yet. How do you do yours? Parboil or just straight into roasting?
Cheers Hj

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
funny anoth none of the christmas stuff mattered to me this year and everything tastes to sweet un like before it was the cheese cake that was brought out near the end of the day when i buckled i just cant say no to cheese cake but really suffered
with bad tummy and banging head the next day

If cheesecake is your thing, there are gazillions of low carb cheesecake recipes out there, like these: https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/best-new-low-carb-cheesecake-recipes/

All Day I Dream About Food is one of the sites I respect as reliably LC.

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
thank you cheese cake haven
coconut cheese cake wow
u really don't have to miss out on
the stuff u like i will most probably try most of these
great link

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you cheese cake haven
coconut cheese cake wow
u really don't have to miss out on
the stuff u like i will most probably try most of these
great link

DrGoogle is my friend. The search term "Low Carb......." almost wore out my keyboard at diagnosis. Life with T2 is a bit different but no need for it to be dull or tasteless. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Life with T2 is a bit different but no need for it to be dull or tasteless. :)
Very true, the only thing I have not been able to eat is rice, I have work arounds for spuds (spud lites) and pasta (reheated cooked pasta) but nothing for rice.

I have seen that cauliflower rice in the produce sections of shops, it's cauliflower taste not a rice taste which is what I want.

Reactions: pcs63

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very true, the only thing I have not been able to eat is rice, I have work arounds for spuds (spud lites) and pasta (reheated cooked pasta) but nothing for rice.

I have seen that cauliflower rice in the produce sections of shops, it's cauliflower taste not a rice taste which is what I want.

I add spices to my cauli rice and that works for me. By that, I mean pilau seasoning, to accompany a curry dish, or Paella seasoning to go alongside a tappas style offering. Obviously, those are just examples.