Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Having said a few times that I intended to splurge at Christmas and even feeling not a little smug that I had held off on the carbs until Christmas Day I have now learned the lesson that members warned me about regarding the change in palate. Yesterday I splurged! There is no other way to describe it but it was a mixed bag of experiences.

Having called for three roast potatoes I ate just less than half of one of them so that was a plus. It just didn't have the expected Wow factor. The sweet stuff such as Mince pies? One was nice but I left the others because it was hours before I managed to get rid of the sickly sweet taste I am not used to even after I brushed my teeth. My palate has changed so much that that all the Christmassy foods had an unforseen reaction. I found that when I looked at the Cake it actually held no reaction so I did not have any.

Where did the splurge come from? It was the crisps, crackers with cheese, honey roasted cashews and I am embarrassed to mention the wedge of Gala pie!

So, after all my protestations I hit the day running (with indigestion!) back to low carbing but mindful that this was my first Christmas since dx and I have learned a lesson for the future. No guilt, you understand, just an experience that has made me a tad wiser.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy and pcs63

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You’re right, I just haven’t felt like partaking of the richness of Xmas cake or pudding etc... It is the savoury things that are more of a temptation so I have just managed to say no! Pringles were a hard call but you know their slogan “once you pop you can’t stop!” Well their marketing went against them as I knew if I had one I wouldn’t stop so I resisted! I stuck with the meat, cheese, pate, pigs in blankets, salads and veggies, followed by my low carb bakes and some Green and Blacks. I’m still running higher than normal sugars after my steroid injection and foot op, so content to stay low carb even though it’s Christmas.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Know what you mean. My dad gave me some 70% chocolate and even that was too sweet. Was craving some crisps last night but managed to hold out. Have stuck to larger than usual quantities of meat, cheese, nuts etc.

Reactions: L1ncslass

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Guzzler
You've learnt a lot from this so well done. This is my 3rd Christmas since diagnosis and I've had a few treats but have still been sensible with most of my food choices. I am now able to eat more carbs but I don't want to push over my limits so try to find treats that I really like and use those. Also as I think I'm due an HbA1c in early January I don't want to completely lose my control.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Guzzler
You've learnt a lot from this so well done. This is my 3rd Christmas since diagnosis and I've had a few treats but have still been sensible with most of my food choices. I am now able to eat more carbs but I don't want to push over my limits so try to find treats that I really like and use those. Also as I think I'm due an HbA1c in early January I don't want to completely lose my control.

February time for me so its a big Phew! for me.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You’re right, I just haven’t felt like partaking of the richness of Xmas cake or pudding etc... It is the savoury things that are more of a temptation so I have just managed to say no! Pringles were a hard call but you know their slogan “once you pop you can’t stop!” Well their marketing went against them as I knew if I had one I wouldn’t stop so I resisted! I stuck with the meat, cheese, pate, pigs in blankets, salads and veggies, followed by my low carb bakes and some Green and Blacks. I’m still running higher than normal sugars after my steroid injection and foot op, so content to stay low carb even though it’s Christmas.

Well done, you were facing a double whammy with everything going on at once. I am impressed!

Reactions: Granny_grump_

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Having said a few times that I intended to splurge at Christmas and even feeling not a little smug that I had held off on the carbs until Christmas Day I have now learned the lesson that members warned me about regarding the change in palate. Yesterday I splurged! There is no other way to describe it but it was a mixed bag of experiences.

Having called for three roast potatoes I ate just less than half of one of them so that was a plus. It just didn't have the expected Wow factor. The sweet stuff such as Mince pies? One was nice but I left the others because it was hours before I managed to get rid of the sickly sweet taste I am not used to even after I brushed my teeth. My palate has changed so much that that all the Christmassy foods had an unforseen reaction. I found that when I looked at the Cake it actually held no reaction so I did not have any.

Where did the splurge come from? It was the crisps, crackers with cheese, honey roasted cashews and I am embarrassed to mention the wedge of Gala pie!

So, after all my protestations I hit the day running (with indigestion!) back to low carbing but mindful that this was my first Christmas since dx and I have learned a lesson for the future. No guilt, you understand, just an experience that has made me a tad wiser.
Sort of similar experience but I never was a spud fancier and although I like mince pies they were always too big. I got mini ones this year in anticipation of sugar yuk and they were still a tadge on the big size. No guilt here either but I did do full on cauli cheese today. What a delight! Twiglets are my downfall

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I ate as much as I wanted, but made my own Christmas Pudding with no sugar and a smaller amount of fruit, added some crushed nuts & Oats to bulk up - my family loved the taste. Made my own Stuffing adding grated parsnips & fresh herbs. Has mini potatoes instead of big ones. Creme Fresh instead of Cream, Custard made with no sugar and skimmed milk, flavoured with extra vanilla. OPPO ice cream instead of regular and had only one mini mince pie. If you think ahead you can have that traditional Christmas Roast, but tweek it with some healthy balance. Also had a walk before eating and used my exercise bike in the evening.

I do not go with low fat or with sweeteners so some choices I just had to decide whether it was box standard western type food or to go without. It was an interesting Christmas Day but not one that I am disappointed with. I just got the remaining Yule chocolate log (I did not have any) and the pyramid of Profiteroles as yet untouched out of the fridge for the family to delve into. I am having a creamed coffee with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top which is still a treat for me.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's impressive how some things that were never sweet have become sweet, broccoli for example....
The "forbidden fruit" truly is not what it was cracked out to be.... though still a sucker for a roasted parsnip.
Ever onwards.
:)

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I bought a muscovado and orange glaze gammon from Sainsburys (an old favourite of mine) without thinking - and it's too sweet for me to eat.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I bought a muscovado and orange glaze gammon from Sainsburys (an old favourite of mine) without thinking - and it's too sweet for me to eat.

Which is really what surprised me, the changes in our palates when we switch down our carb intake. These overly sweet things will, hopefully, not tempt me next year or at least I should be more able to resist them. Fingers crossed.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are anything like me @Guzzler, you will find it becomes much more of a non-issue in year's time

I was only 6 months in at xmas last year, so 18 months now. last year whilst I tried to keep to low carb,I was constantly tempted and my xmas binge lasted about 5 days.

This year, I had a meal out on xmas eve, made it the one meal of the day three full courses all low carb except some vanilla ice-ceam. That led to me wanting some toast, so I had that as my xmas treat - the resulting indigestion etc, rather put me off continuing to " treat myself" :)

Xmas day, duck egg for breakkie, tons of turkey + veg + a couple of roast pots for lunch , a tiny spoon of the xmas pud mixed with some strawberries and cream .

I then didn't bother eating again until lunch today, which was an omeletts.
The thing that has really struck me is that my desire for the stuff I am " missing" out on, really has just gone away. I really don't want to feel like it makes me feel and the taste sensation really isn't that nice. I also didn't feel the need to eat again

Even when I do overeat, the idea of the overeating being something sweet, is no longer me at all. - hallelujah !

Blood sugars back to 4.9 today ( last Xmas it took me a week to get back under 7!)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If you are anything like me @Guzzler, you will find it becomes much more of a non-issue in year's time

I was only 6 months in at xmas last year, so 18 months now. last year whilst I tried to keep to low carb,I was constantly tempted and my xmas binge lasted about 5 days.

This year, I had a meal out on xmas eve, made it the one meal of the day three full courses all low carb except some vanilla ice-ceam. That led to me wanting some toast, so I had that as my xmas treat - the resulting indigestion etc, rather put me off continuing to " treat myself" :)

Xmas day, duck egg for breakkie, tons of turkey + veg + a couple of roast pots for lunch , a tiny spoon of the xmas pud mixed with some strawberries and cream .

I then didn't bother eating again until lunch today, which was an omeletts.
The thing that has really struck me is that my desire for the stuff I am " missing" out on, really has just gone away. I really don't want to feel like it makes me feel and the taste sensation really isn't that nice. I also didn't feel the need to eat again

Even when I do overeat, the idea of the overeating being something sweet, is no longer me at all. - hallelujah !

Blood sugars back to 4.9 today ( last Xmas it took me a week to get back under 7!)

It is still a learning curve, isn't it? Next year I will I will look for the lower carb options for sure and I hope to emulate your post Crimbo bg levels. Merry Christmas, lass.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made a Yorkshire pudding batter using three eggs, three quarters of a (UK) pint of full cream milk, three half cups (US measure) of bread flour - added one at a time, and made 12 little Yorkshire puddings - I planned to eat just two - they were so good that did not happen - and the roast parsnips were irresistible - there was turkey, carrots cauliflower mushrooms courgette as well - and afterwards various jellies and cream.
I was stuffed - and when I checked my BG later it was 5.6 mmol/l again.
I think that I killed off my diabetes - or at least gave it a severe pruning with sticking to low carb foods, and the alteration in the batter - more fat more protein, is enough to allow me to cope with a few more carbs from time to time - the strange thing is that I lost weight in the last few days as well.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I made a Yorkshire pudding batter using three eggs, three quarters of a (UK) pint of full cream milk, three half cups (US measure) of bread flour - added one at a time, and made 12 little Yorkshire puddings - I planned to eat just two - they were so good that did not happen - and the roast parsnips were irresistible - there was turkey, carrots cauliflower mushrooms courgette as well - and afterwards various jellies and cream.
I was stuffed - and when I checked my BG later it was 5.6 mmol/l again.
I think that I killed off my diabetes - or at least gave it a severe pruning with sticking to low carb foods, and the alteration in the batter - more fat more protein, is enough to allow me to cope with a few more carbs from time to time - the strange thing is that I lost weight in the last few days as well.

Well done!

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've found the hardest thing about my first Christmas with diabetes has been finding polite ways to turn things down without making the host feel bad. "Oh, I'll just give you some carrots then!" (Ummm, sorry but....). "This dessert is quite small" (thanks, but a small amount of a lot of sugar is still a lot of sugar).
I feel a bit bad, but I don't want to get into a habit of saying "Oh, just a few carbs won't hurt" as I know it will make things harder to control later on.
The worst one I've had is "I guess you can't have cheese"........"Yes, give me the bloody cheese, I'm starving!!!" :D