You did warn me!

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yup , a good lesson learned - it aint worth it is it-
I am sure you will get right back on track.

Reactions: Guzzler

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really wish I felt the same way as most of you!! I had mince pies and they were delicious!!! Not to mention the sausage rolls. Woke up to 8.4 today, so definitely not worth it.

And I have to have an unexpected hbalc in early January because I am staring an xpert course. Rats!!!!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I woke up to feeling nauseous and a BG of 6 which is high for me. I'm going to fast until lunch and see if that helps. Too many snacks after dinner I think :(:meh::meh::meh:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sinful stuff on Christmas day was mostly the dinner at our granddaughter and partners new house their first Christmas there with my daughter son-in-law and other granddaughter
Turkey beef and gammon...I stuck to the turkey.. with gorgeous roasties roast carrots and parsnips along with peas, brocclii and Brussel sprouts and pigs in blankets..I didn't have those I don't eat sausages.. stuffing and lashings of gravy cooked mostly by my granddaughters partner with her help who for a young chap is a really good cook. He said his mum could never cook a good roast so he taught himself to do it when he lived and worked in Jersey for two years. He makes the most amazing roast potatoes he puts Marmite on them after they are parboiled then roasts them you can't taste it but it makes them really crispy on the outside and fluffy inside which I can't resist another of his specialities is a gammon joint cooked in cola it gives it a lovely flavour and no one can tell what it is cooked in. I did not have much sweet stuff as I never ate much of that before diabetes so just had a small piece of festive Strudel made by my daughter .I did not partake of the chocolates and sweets In the evening it was an assortment of cheeses with olives. dips and crackers of which I had two tiny ones with the cheese I was really still full up from lunch. Boxing day was at my daughters with her husbands daughter and grandchildren she did a buffet help yourself meal of cold turkey,beef and ham with salad and a boxing day family tradition bubble and squeak and there was home made sausage rolls hot French bread and pickles and dips etc and after I had just a small portion of melt in the middle chocolate bomb that was my Christmas food and I never tested my blood once over the two days and apart from feeling a bit boated as I ate more than I usually would I did not feel at all bad

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I made a Yorkshire pudding batter using three eggs, three quarters of a (UK) pint of full cream milk, three half cups (US measure) of bread flour - added one at a time, and made 12 little Yorkshire puddings - I planned to eat just two - they were so good that did not happen - and the roast parsnips were irresistible - there was turkey, carrots cauliflower mushrooms courgette as well - and afterwards various jellies and cream.
I was stuffed - and when I checked my BG later it was 5.6 mmol/l again.
I think that I killed off my diabetes - or at least gave it a severe pruning with sticking to low carb foods, and the alteration in the batter - more fat more protein, is enough to allow me to cope with a few more carbs from time to time - the strange thing is that I lost weight in the last few days as well.
Amazing!

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Well I have certainly not been as good as you people. I decided that I was going to have pretty much what I wanted on Christmas Day and an indulgent but more moderated Boxing Day. On the straight and narrow again now -parsnips, roast potato and Christmas pudding already a pleasant memory. Back to the salads and oily fish....

Reactions: Caz_B

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Mostly not that special, despite the anticipation.
Mostly, a bit of yum then a bit of meh.

The small roast spuds in goose fat; forgotten heaven. I could eat those by the ton. However, I won't make them.

Mince pies, microwaved to warm them up, cream. I had 3 over about 4 days. First one (M&S) seemed too sweet, second one (Waitrose) was average, third one (M&S again) I realised why they were top of the Which? test this year. Loads of flavour. No cravings, though.

Chips. First small test portion (made the same way as the celeriac chips) from tiny King Edward potatoes with the skin on confirmed that celeriac chips are nothing like the real thing, and the taste of cooked potato skin was pretty good. Second time the portion was bigger - cooked for both of us to have with cold turkey and coronation mayo on boxing day. Meh - just chips; take them or leave them.

Oh, Christmas Pudding - bought the smallest I could find from Waitrose. Still in the box because I haven't yet reached the stage of being hungry enough to eat one. Always full after the main course. I may have to have it for breakfast.

That is about it for my sinning. I did make some chocolate truffles but as they are 70% chocolate with butter and double cream they don't really count as a major sin. Very nice to have 1 or 2 at the end of the day. The ones rolled in grated white chocolate are nicer than the ones rolled in cocoa powder.

Still to do; almond flour chocolate cake. I really need a bigger mixing bowl so I may wait until I am next out in the car and get a bowl from Tesco along with a copy of Rogue 1 to watch over the NY. I don't have any cake cravings, but it seemed a good option for a low carbohydrate treat and a break from my regular eating habits which have become very "samey".

Eating a Lidl roll at the moment, with cold turkey, sliced tomato, and a squirt of Hellman's real mayo. So more or less back to normal.

We have a Waitrose curry in the freezer for a lazy cooking day, but that is remarkably low in carbohydrates so business as usual.

I am still putting weight on; I've reached my swift +4 lbs. Let us hope it comes off as quickly in the New Year. Still not testing because I only do it when I plan to act on the results.:rolleyes:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Having said a few times that I intended to splurge at Christmas and even feeling not a little smug that I had held off on the carbs until Christmas Day I have now learned the lesson that members warned me about regarding the change in palate. Yesterday I splurged! There is no other way to describe it but it was a mixed bag of experiences.

Having called for three roast potatoes I ate just less than half of one of them so that was a plus. It just didn't have the expected Wow factor. The sweet stuff such as Mince pies? One was nice but I left the others because it was hours before I managed to get rid of the sickly sweet taste I am not used to even after I brushed my teeth. My palate has changed so much that that all the Christmassy foods had an unforseen reaction. I found that when I looked at the Cake it actually held no reaction so I did not have any.

Where did the splurge come from? It was the crisps, crackers with cheese, honey roasted cashews and I am embarrassed to mention the wedge of Gala pie!

So, after all my protestations I hit the day running (with indigestion!) back to low carbing but mindful that this was my first Christmas since dx and I have learned a lesson for the future. No guilt, you understand, just an experience that has made me a tad wiser.
You do feel guilty don't you? come on I know you do ; ) All jokes aside so sorry that you suffered for just wanting something as a treat to eat. I had two mini sausage rolls, one mini pork pie,and a rasberry and cream Roulande over the two days, Oh and two small roast potatoes, two yorkshire puds,but my sugars were fine,but I did have some red wine which probably kept my sugars lower. I went down with Bronchitis Christmas eve and managed to still enjoy the two days. I thought my BG would of gone higher because of not being well. Stuck in bed now though.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've had the roast potatoes and parsnips - sorry. But back to low carb tomorrow promise.
I had two very small roast potatoes but made up for it with roasted celeriac,which tastes like Parsnips

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You’re right, I just haven’t felt like partaking of the richness of Xmas cake or pudding etc... It is the savoury things that are more of a temptation so I have just managed to say no! Pringles were a hard call but you know their slogan “once you pop you can’t stop!” Well their marketing went against them as I knew if I had one I wouldn’t stop so I resisted! I stuck with the meat, cheese, pate, pigs in blankets, salads and veggies, followed by my low carb bakes and some Green and Blacks. I’m still running higher than normal sugars after my steroid injection and foot op, so content to stay low carb even though it’s Christmas.
No must admit I love mince pie and Christmas pud but did not want any

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's impressive how some things that were never sweet have become sweet, broccoli for example....
The "forbidden fruit" truly is not what it was cracked out to be.... though still a sucker for a roasted parsnip.
Ever onwards.
:)
Please try roasted Celeriac,they taste just like Parsnips without the high Carbs

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've found the hardest thing about my first Christmas with diabetes has been finding polite ways to turn things down without making the host feel bad. "Oh, I'll just give you some carrots then!" (Ummm, sorry but....). "This dessert is quite small" (thanks, but a small amount of a lot of sugar is still a lot of sugar).
I feel a bit bad, but I don't want to get into a habit of saying "Oh, just a few carbs won't hurt" as I know it will make things harder to control later on.
The worst one I've had is "I guess you can't have cheese"........"Yes, give me the bloody cheese, I'm starving!!!" :D
You have just made me laugh with the cheese. Yes instead of people thinking about Prediabetic to Diabetic I think that they start to think we are just being a fussy eater LOL

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please try roasted Celeriac,they taste just like Parsnips without the high Carbs
Once I stopped trying to think of roasted celeriac as a potato substitute, I realised that it is a more than acceptable substitute for parsnips!

Reactions: hankjam

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Once I stopped trying to think of roasted celeriac as a potato substitute, I realised that it is a more than acceptable substitute for parsnips!
I gave them to my husband once,and he actually thought that they were parsnips. Christmas day he asked "Are we having roasted Celeriac instead of Parsnips?" I said yes and he was absolutely fine with it

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I boil them for 10 mins first then put them into the oven with butter and oil

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did boil them the first couple of times, but then I forgot! I just rolled them in olive oil and some mixed herbs and roasted them from raw! It didn’t seem to make any difference!

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
funny anoth none of the christmas stuff mattered to me this year and everything tastes to sweet un like before it was the cheese cake that was brought out near the end of the day when i buckled i just cant say no to cheese cake but really suffered
with bad tummy and banging head the next day

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
funny anoth none of the christmas stuff mattered to me this year and everything tastes to sweet un like before it was the cheese cake that was brought out near the end of the day when i buckled i just cant say no to cheese cake but really suffered
with bad tummy and banging head the next day

The good thing about all this is its suprising how much easier it is to refuse stuff once its finally become clear that the effect has nothing to do with the next Hba1C reading three months away and everything to do with spending a day feeling rubbish when eating something you didn't much like anyway and wondering how on earth it could have been so difficult to not eat the stuff before!