Your experience with the new Minimed 670?

tamarares

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I have a 10yr old daughter with type 1 (diagnosed at 4 yrs old) and we are just now going to get a pump. We had finally decided to go with Animus Vibe due to the Dexcom integration, when we were informed about a trial our daughter may be able to do with the Medatronic Minimed 670. From my understanding the Minimed 670 has been approved and used in Europe and in Australia. I'm wondering if there is anyone on this forum that is on or has tried the Minimed 670? and what was your experience? My biggest concern is the accuracy of the Minimed CGM as I've heard in the past the Medatronic CGM isn't accurate. I'd love to hear your experiences. Thanks!!

irrationalJohn

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
All I have after reading your post is more questions.

I was not aware that the Minimed 670 is approved & available. The Minimed 640 is available in (parts of?) Europe and Australia, but I thought the 670 was still undergoing clinical trials.

Have you had any experience using CGM? My experience is that a statement such as Medtronic CGM isn't accurate isn't ... well, accurate. It's all a matter of how you want to slice the semantics.

Some people use the Medtronic CGM and get very accurate results. Others get horrible results. It varies. If you want to go by the reports of clinical trials then Medtronic's accuracy is not as good as Dexcom's. But that's report from a trial, not personal experience.

My opinion is that the only way to know for sure how well a CGM works or does not work for you is to actually use it. Whatever CGM you may consider using, find a way to try it on a trial basis. Don't commit to using it until you've had a chance to find out how much use it actually is to you.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The 670 clinical trial is due to finish this month. In the US you can't even get the 640G as it doesn't yet have FDA approval.

tamarares

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
The 670 clinical trial is due to finish this month. In the US you can't even get the 640G as it doesn't yet have FDA approval.

Thanks for clarifying! I got confused as I googled Medatronic pumps. Yes, 640 is not yet available here, however, trials on 670 are starting and here in Denver is one of the locations for trials. Have you heard of responses to 670 trials?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for clarifying! I got confused as I googled Medatronic pumps. Yes, 640 is not yet available here, however, trials on 670 are starting and here in Denver is one of the locations for trials. Have you heard of responses to 670 trials?
None yet - the results haven't been released as they aren't yet finished.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't used CGM but I chose the Vibe over the Medtronic (640) as, from my research the Animas Dexcom seemed to have more 'satisfied customers'. In the future, I hope to afford the CGM so I bore that in mind when choosing my pump.

I also like pumps with a proven track record, but that's just me.

All you can do is consider the pros and cons. If I was you, I'd also ask if the Medtronic could be given back and swapped for the Vibe if it turned out to be unsuitable or disappointing.

Reactions: 2 people