1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Your Healthcare Team

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Troubled1, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Troubled1

Troubled1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Has anyone noticed a correlation between intake of dairy and bg numbers? I've been doing lchf for a while but have been using quite a bit of cream and cheese. My numbers are up from before lchf, not by much, but they are up none the less.

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

How much cheese? There is a lot of protein in cheese, and that can affect levels. Some of the excess protein our bodies don't use can convert to glucose, but this usually takes many hours, even the next day. I notice this in my fasting numbers if my evening meal had too much protein.

3. Troubled1

@Bluetit1802 I think that is probably what I'm seeing with my numbers. I try not to down too much cheese at one sitting but sometimes I just keep slicing it off.
    I usually have 4-6 1/8" slices but sometimes a wee bit more.
    I also love cream in my coffee and I can easily down 2 pots/day. I think I should cut back a little.

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

If you think protein could be the problem then have a good look at which protein foods you are eating, from fish, seafood, meat, eggs, cheese, certain nuts, oats, Greek yogurts, milk, broccoli, lentils, many seeds, sprouts etc.

5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I use one small pot of cream a week - so I would agree that you could be overdoing the dose in your coffee, and a packet of cheese lasts me about two weeks.

6. Troubled1

@Resurgam it's a small pot of cream. It's 2 pots of coffee per day all with cream in it.

7. Totally agree. This is a bugbear of mine - if people don't let their GPs/nurses/dieticians know how they are achieving good results (by whatever means), how will these HCPs ever know?

I would go as far as to say I feel we have a moral obligation to stop this sort of thing happening...

GP: You have type 2 diabetes
    Noob: What shall I do?
    GP: Eat Well Plate and never test (because that's what the last patient is doing and he is knocking it out of the park by following this advice)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Me!

14 January 2014 - hba1c 63 (7.9%) :nurse:
    30 April 2014 - hba1c 38 (5.6%)
    04 August 2014 - hba1c 38 (5.6%)
    14 January 2015 - hba1c 39 (5.7%)
    13 January 2016 - hba1c 40 (5.8%)
    Feb 2016 - gave up dairy
    02 June 2016 - hba1c 35 (5.4%)
    04 August 2016 - hba1c 35 (5.4%)
    24 January 2017 - hba1c 35 (5.4%)
    28 April 2017 - hba1c 36 (5.4%)

9. seadragon

seadragon Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Sometimes they just don't want to know though. Had a bit of an argument with GP over not wanting to up carbs and take meds and she just said oh you're not listening - go away (or words to that effect) When next years results (due to LCHF) were hugely better I just got a note from GP - "No action". She did NOT want to know how I had done it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

My practice did not want to see me either in January but I made an appointment any way

• Like Like x 1
  11. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

My doctor marked my file NFA (no further action) in February but now I have got a letter telling me that my annual health review is due.
    I never had one any other year, and my Thyroxine test is not due until October - but I suppose that I should be grateful for being noticed at all.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Troubled1

So last night I fell off the lchf wagon. I had some light eye bread with butter and peanut butter. This morning my fbg was 8.8. I actually expected higher but I'm happy. What I cannot figure out is 4 hours later it dropped to 5.2. No meals yet.
    In the last 2 weeks the lowest reading I've had is 5.1. Prior to that the lowest I was able to get was 3.8 during a 7 day fast.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

13. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I have only had two appointments with the DN. At the first appt she advocated buying microwave brown rice, this after hearing me say my oft mentioned mantra 'I don't eat orange food out of orange boxes'. I am still so new to all this but even I know that cooking from scratch is far better than eating over processed rubbish. At the second appt she mentioned Weight Watchers and then noticed the look on my face! Even by nhs guidelines I am not overweight and have a bmi that is normal, this in itself is confusing me but with more research and the help of the good folk here I'm sure I will soon get my head around all this.

14. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You will find good advice and lots of useful information here.

15. james11

james11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My GP flatly refuses to give me any advice or discuss with me...tells me to contact hospital diabetes centre...lol...when i was first put on insulin there was a different gp every day,so the one who wanted me on insulin said i neede to be monitored and referred me to hospital..i see the nurse once ayear and the consultant the same...he made a change to the type of insulin and i went to asession about meals etc....bought the carbs and cals book and just get on on my own....recently started LC..not obsessive just careful to cut out the culprits..bread rice pasta bicuits etc....lost a few pound and my BG readings are very steady....reduced novorapid amount at mealtimes. ..as long as im between 4 and 8 mmol.im happy....take care all

16. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The usual tale of neglect then, basically. Still, you seem to be controlling your BG very well. Without this forum, we'd be more or less on our own.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

As far as diabetes goes my health care team are the ones whose advise I thankfully completely ignored.

18. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

In fact I remember a recent conversation With my GP who after weighing me with all my clobber on including over coat. told me even though I have lost over 8 stone that if anything I was still slightly overweight, then he caught my not so furtive glance at his rather corpulent figure he said I probably eat less than you do John.

Thinks to my self don't think so mate if you did you would look and probably feel a lot healthier.
    He by any definition looks a prime candidate for T2D if he is unfortunate enough to get it I just hope he doesn't take his own advise.

• Like Like x 1
    #38 JohnEGreen, Jun 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook