Your Thoughts Please?

Helenababe

Hi everyone,

As I've said in other posts, my son was diagnosed T2 just before Christmas. He's 20 yrs old.

His sugar was high, and he was put on 1 then 2 SR metformin per day. He went on a low carb diet straight away, and is now getting brilliant fasting and before meal readings of between 5 and 6.

But, with the tabs being SR, when his sugar rises after a meal it stays up? Like, say he's 5.6 before a meal, he'll go up to 7.1 an hour after, then 7 still 2 hrs after, then after 3 hrs 6.9.

Does this sound ok? I don't feel it is. He doesn't see our DN until February. She's left him for 3 months before seeing him for a second time.

I know it's great that his sugar doesn't go up by much after eating, but that amount hangs around for ages.
Thanks,
Helena

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Helenababe said:
But, with the tabs being SR, when his sugar rises after a meal it stays up? Like, say he's 5.6 before a meal, he'll go up to 7.1 an hour after, then 7 still 2 hrs after, then after 3 hrs 6.9.

Does this sound ok?

It's not OK, it's great. I don't think you can do much more than get your fasting and 2 hour levels down, the rest will come by itself with time.

If I were him, I'd just worry about keeping up what he is doing.

Helenababe

Thanks Stephen.

I don't know anything about the SR, I'm on the regular ones which bring me down by 2 hrs, so if it's ok I won't worry. It's hard when he's only 20 and has to control this with alot of years ahead of him, so I've encouraged him to start as he means to go on.

Helena