"You're no longer a diabetic" a DN 2020

Sarbak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All of the other things
The good news is, at my first review with the DN since diagnosis in May, I was told my HbA1c is now 37, down from 65 at diagnosis.

WHOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOP

The bad news is, I'm now in agreement with many of you on this forum... that the health professionals are a bit (trying to think how to word this politely)... could do better. Yes, let's go with that.

So the DN starts the conversation with "Your HbA1c is now 37 so you're no longer a diabetic." and here's the key parts of the rest of the conversation:

Me: Well, that's great that I've dropped down to 37, but surely I still have T2D even though it's under control? Perhaps you call it "in remission?"

DN: Not really. You have to have multiple readings over 48 to be a true diabetic and you only have one reading over that.

Me: That may be true, but I haven't had a blood test for at least 20 years prior to May, so surely I could have been over 48 for many years?

DN: That's unlikely. But the good news is you don't need to go on any medication now.

Me: So I can stop taking Metformin?

DN: You're taking Metformin?

Me: Yes, it's on my record - I've been having repeat prescriptions since my diagnosis in May.

DN: Why did you ask for that? It was too early. We don't advise patients to start taking Metformin until they've had two readings higher than 48.

Me: Umm I didn't ask for it - I'd never heard of it before. The DN I spoke to told me to start taking it.

DN: In that case, you should continue taking it for the time being.

Me: Scratching my head

Won't bore you with the rest.

*big eye roll*
but also
*big hoorays at 37*

Reactions: annie-p and ianY

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Superb result. I agree with your request for remission status, they can do this easily on the computer system (I have assumed you are in the UK):

upload_2020-9-22_23-16-11.png

upload_2020-9-22_23-15-32.png

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Totally awesome!

Caprock94

Well done! You'll get a lot of differing opinions on reversal, remission, controlled, etc. The important thing is your numbers are in the normal range. My doctor says I no longer have diabetes, but will likely always have "diabetic tendencies", so I need to stay the course.

Reactions: OzBlossom

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Congrats on the outstanding result.

You may be classed as no longer diabetic, but you can easily go back to being diabetic.... so the idea it's no longer there just doesn't sit right with me. It's more a case of it being dormant in my opinion.

You've done a fantastic job, it's kinda funny how you're on metformin, but the DN asks why you are on it and clearly doesn't think you should of been started on it, but mention the previous DN started you on it and all of a sudden the current DN changes their tune, "Well, you should keep taking it." That happens sometimes when files aren't read before seeing a patient.

Last edited:
S

Sparklebrightisright62

Hi Sarbak,

Congratulations well done fantastic.How did you manage to do this.

Sparklebright62.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The good news is, at my first review with the DN since diagnosis in May, I was told my HbA1c is now 37, down from 65 at diagnosis.

WHOOOOOOP WHOOOOOOP

The bad news is, I'm now in agreement with many of you on this forum... that the health professionals are a bit (trying to think how to word this politely)... could do better. Yes, let's go with that.

So the DN starts the conversation with "Your HbA1c is now 37 so you're no longer a diabetic." and here's the key parts of the rest of the conversation:

Me: Well, that's great that I've dropped down to 37, but surely I still have T2D even though it's under control? Perhaps you call it "in remission?"

DN: Not really. You have to have multiple readings over 48 to be a true diabetic and you only have one reading over that.

Me: That may be true, but I haven't had a blood test for at least 20 years prior to May, so surely I could have been over 48 for many years?

DN: That's unlikely. But the good news is you don't need to go on any medication now.

Me: So I can stop taking Metformin?

DN: You're taking Metformin?

Me: Yes, it's on my record - I've been having repeat prescriptions since my diagnosis in May.

DN: Why did you ask for that? It was too early. We don't advise patients to start taking Metformin until they've had two readings higher than 48.

Me: Umm I didn't ask for it - I'd never heard of it before. The DN I spoke to told me to start taking it.

DN: In that case, you should continue taking it for the time being.

Me: Scratching my head

Won't bore you with the rest.

*big eye roll*
but also
*big hoorays at 37*

Congratulations and I think your DN is related to a GP I spoke to about my osteoporosis-arthritis anti-inflammatory meds which went about the same way as your metformin conversation!

I believe it should be “in remission” and wish you all the very best on this new phase of your management journey. You rock, madam!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done! You'll get a lot of differing opinions on reversal, remission, controlled, etc. The important thing is your numbers are in the normal range. My doctor says I no longer have diabetes, but will likely always have "diabetic tendencies", so I need to stay the course.
Not responding directly to you, as your observation is correct; I don't understand the differing opinions when there is an official pathway, as clear cut as the tax bands in writing. For any other condition such as cancer, remission as a status is accepted and understood that is it not a cure.