You've just got Diabetes. If you weren't confusde before, you soon will be.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Where does it say that I wanted to be called a 'person with diabetes' ??

It doesn't, the discussion is just evolving that's all.

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed, which is why I am not asking anyone to "campaign about correcting the aforementioned on our behalf"!

What do you want the BDA site to say and for them to campaign for instead?

Why is the onus always on the complainant to come up with an alternative ?
Let's try these two alternatives. Let's assume that people with diabetes. "suffer from diabetes" or are "diabetes sufferers" . Couldn't they be addressed in these terms ? Unless, of course they are in the "happy-clappy" gang where they are quite content to be continually insulted with what I conceive to be derogatory terminology.:banghead:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i think im living on a different planet, you care if people say your "diabetic" "have diabetes" "a diabetes sufferer" etc etc? lol really? personally and on planet andy we couldnt give a monkeys uncle what people refer to us as, i can think of much worse things i could be called and probly will be in a minute, you guys need something important to worry about, like being diabetic lol

Reactions: 19 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is the onus always on the complainant to come up with an alternative ?
Let's try these two alternatives. Let's assume that people with diabetes. "suffer from diabetes" or are "diabetes sufferers" . Couldn't they be addressed in these terms ? Unless, of course they are in the "happy-clappy" gang where they are quite content to be continually insulted with what I conceive to be derogatory terminology.:banghead:

I would suggest that is because the party being complained against would prefer not to play a guessing game. One can only assume they felt their approach was suitable, at the time it was signed off. It will have been agreed, somewhere along the line, by quite a few people, I'd guess.

For my own part, I don't believe I suffer from diabetes. I have a condition called diabetes, which is an inconvenience, a bit like my OH who cannot eat fish (it makes him spectacularly sick). We just modify what we do in order to live the lives we love in the light of those things.

Of course I accept I appear to have an easy time of it, being free from medication and complications.

Reactions: 2 people

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i think im living on a different planet, you care if people say your "diabetic" "have diabetes" "a diabetes sufferer" etc etc? lol really? personally and on planet andy we couldnt give a monkeys uncle what people refer to us as, i can think of much worse things i could be called and probly will be in a minute, you guys need something important to worry about, like being diabetic lol
LMFAO

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I certainly prefer to use person with diabetes but don't always do it. I dislike the term suffers from since even though I depend on insulin I am fit and healthy. It would be different if I had any complications that caused pain or disability.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I prefer to be called Mo. If it comes up in conversation that I have diabetes, no problem. I've never been referred to as a "sufferer" or anything of the like. Don't give a monkey's if I was to be honest.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l am an "l've got" if someone is trying to push food at me. That is much nicer than the terms usually applied to me. Can not say l noticed other terms you use skydiver probably as l go through life oblivious to most things unless they hit me on the head to get my attention first.

A

AnnieC

I've tried getting answers from the internet and have ended up so confused I've disappeared up my own rectum.
Here's a challenge. Try finding out just how much sugar there is in a pint. There's just no standardisation anywhere. I've initially tried writing to "Stewarts" brewery to ask the sugar content of a pint of 'heavy'...still awaiting a reply after a week. Wrote to Caledonian Brewery asking the same thing about a pint of 'Deuchars 80/-'. I got a reply five days later where they've declared they aint got a Scooby but "best to avoid drinking it as there's a lot of sugar from the malt content, sorry to disappoint".
Some tables give you the 'carbohydrate' content..that's great 'cos there's no mention of sugar at all, yippee, I can get rat ***** tonight ! Seriously though there's a lot of conflicting information out there, giving us all a "bum steer". would it be too much to ask that this information be readily available to the consumer ?
While I'm griping, here's one aimed at you B.D.A.
Why, throughout your site, do YOU repeatedly refer to me as a 'diabetic'? Do me a favour ! STOP referring to ME as though I'm a walking disease. I am a HUMAN. YOU should know better, TIDY UP YOUR ACT. If I had a limp, would you say "hello, I understand you are a cripple" or to an asthma sufferer "you are an asthmatic" ? If you were in company would you say "meet John, he is an epileptic" of perhaps, "this is Mary, she is a Leper" ?
The press are the biggest culprits. Not to mention our good old N.H.S.:nurse: your local dentist or optician. If you have any clout B.D.A., please campaign about correcting the aforementioned on our behalf.
Just for the record, I have type 2 diabetes (late onset). I have never had a "sweet tooth" and have always had a figure resembling a yard of pumpwater. So whenever I see the press referring to me as an overweight couch potato who has burdened the N.H.S. with a "self-inflicted" condition, I get angry:mad:.
Just wondered why you object to being called a diabetic after all that is what you are.What difference does it make if someone says you are diabetic or that you have diabetes same thing surely

Reactions: 7 people

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, they're NOT the same thing. Have another read of the above, that assumes that you have already read it properly, which I doubt.
Would you prefer to be introduced socially as your given name or as Dimbo ?:rolleyes:
If you suffered from a twitch/tic and the medical term was "Twitchtic" would it not bother you to be called a "Twitchtic" during conversation ?
Having said that, it would not bother SOME of the contributors here. If they will manage their Diabetes with the same Blasé attitude, they've got trouble on the way.:nurse:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol

your main concern is how much beer you can drink, i dont think we are being blase, if i were you and i know you want my advice lol id be more worried about the beer and less worried about what your labelled as

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
mmm wuffo me thinks is best label for you then as you seem obsessed with labels.

skydiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good job the grammar police are not on this thread. Assume you must have spent your classroom time fast asleep.o_O