Type 1 Yup I'm weak-I've thrown in the insulin

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I guess that's sensible regarding the pump @nessa1970

Can I ask if there's anything that brought this on? Is it just the weight getting you down or are there other things stressing you?

If it's just the weight, then I'm sure you can see some improvement and sort that out. If there are other things too, then I hope you can get some relief and some help with those. X

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Can I ask if your on meds for your depression? Or have they changed your meds recently for it if you are?

The reason I ask is I was put into a mood stabiliser called depokote about 7 years ago, with no changes to my diet my weight rose from a weight that was constant for 20 years prior. Within a month of taking the meds I had gained 2 stone, and within 6 months I had gained 6.5 stone. The only thing that had changed was the type of meds I was on.

I ended up being suicidal, nothing I could do stopped the weight gain, and to be honest it was either stop the meds or not be here.

I had a really bad episode a year ago and my pychatrist wanted me back on my meds, he prescribed a one that doesn't put on weight. I've been taking it for over a year now and it's fine.

Please talk to your therapist and doctor, you might find that it's other meds that's causing the problems not your diabetes.

Big hugs from me even if you don't know me, I understand some of what's going on in your head, and your right, your mental health had to come first because if your heads not right then nothing else can be

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Oh yes yes omg that was a few years ago wasn't it when I was type two nearly type one I do remember
Gosh I did think about you a few times why you didn't respond to a thread or two that you would have said your bit lol
So nice to have you put in a bob

Good to catch up again with you Vanessa ( @nessa1970 ) as we talked about fizzy drinks a bit and you feeling rather down about D. Believe it was 2015 so you're on the money with that one. Please keep up the fight and don't give in despite the challenges. Hard as we all know, but you showed enough spirit in those messages back and forth to suggest you could

This time 'round, it's no different :) Please be well ... Mike

... and no, I'm not on any medications despite what the profile says and anything other than an expert :)

Last edited:
Reactions: nessa1970

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it's for ptsd depression and anxiety
Which is really important because I need to my mental health healthy or I'm in a spot of trouble re overdoses slashing wrists etc
Haven't cut for over two years and haven't taken pills overdose either for a year
But I have over dosed on insulin a few times
So it is important I stay mentally well
I can with all honesty say I'm ok in that respect at the moment I'm low due to the weight gain it's really knocking me
I just keep going up slowly an I just can't cope
I'm not sure I could get free help re this tho I suppose I could ask my dn
But at the mo I just can't take the insulin

there are some type 1´s doing a rather lower carb eating style, and maybe they can give you some advice .. seems people on lower carbing have a much easier time controlling their weight, and they also many times need less insuline..

Reactions: nessa1970

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Can I ask if your on meds for your depression? Or have they changed your meds recently for it if you are?

The reason I ask is I was put into a mood stabiliser called depokote about 7 years ago, with no changes to my diet my weight rose from a weight that was constant for 20 years prior. Within a month of taking the meds I had gained 2 stone, and within 6 months I had gained 6.5 stone. The only thing that had changed was the type of meds I was on.

I ended up being suicidal, nothing I could do stopped the weight gain, and to be honest it was either stop the meds or not be here.

I had a really bad episode a year ago and my pychatrist wanted me back on my meds, he prescribed a one that doesn't put on weight. I've been taking it for over a year now and it's fine.

Please talk to your therapist and doctor, you might find that it's other meds that's causing the problems not your diabetes.

Big hugs from me even if you don't know me, I understand some of what's going on in your head, and your right, your mental health had to come first because if your heads not right then nothing else can be

Hi thank you for the message, I really appreciate all you said
I am on meds I have been on them for over a year now
Maybe I need to get them a bit higher
I will talk to my therapist also

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to catch up again with you Vanessa ( @nessa1970 ) as we talked about fizzy drinks a bit and you feeling rather down about D. Believe it was 2015 so you're on the money with that one. Please keep up the fight and don't give in despite the challenges. Hard as we all know, but you showed enough spirit in those messages back and forth to suggest you could

This time 'round, it's no different :) Please be well ... Mike

... and no, I'm not on any medications despite what the profile says and anything other than an expert :)

Lol yes I'm going to yack to my therapist an I'll ring my dn too an I will take my background insulin having just woken to my partners good friend passing last night from suicide I have sort of had a reality check

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
there are some type 1´s doing a rather lower carb eating style, and maybe they can give you some advice .. seems people on lower carbing have a much easier time controlling their weight, and they also many times need less insuline..

Thank you @ freema

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nessa1970 I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling so low at the moment, please believe me when I say I do know what that is like. Having diabetes on top of it all really doesn't help.

I have done what you are doing now before - eating all kinds of rubbish and not taking any insulin, except I would then follow that up by days of not eating anything and taking insulin anyway. Something I've done to kind of get control back of my relationship with food, particularly since reducing my carb - not low carb, about 150g a day - is let myself have something nice, but keep it within mealtimes. Tonight, I had a chocolate bar after dinner. And I feel better for having done it, because it was my choice.

If you possibly can take your insulin, please, please do. You have been so strong to overcome your self harm issues, but not taking insulin is just self-harming in another way, and one day you might regret it. Fluctuating weight is incredibly frustrating, and there is a kind of sick satisfaction from seeing the stupidly high number on the meter, as if you are controlling it for a change. But it isn't worth it, I promise. If you need someone to rant at, please feel free to drop me a message.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess that's sensible regarding the pump @nessa1970

Can I ask if there's anything that brought this on? Is it just the weight getting you down or are there other things stressing you?

If it's just the weight, then I'm sure you can see some improvement and sort that out. If there are other things too, then I hope you can get some relief and some help with those. X

Just the weight
I was ok an proud that I was ok for 9kg of it then it hit 70 an 71 an climbing and I just know how hard it is lose especially since taking insulin

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thank you for the message, I really appreciate all you said
I am on meds I have been on them for over a year now
Maybe I need to get them a bit higher
I will talk to my therapist also

nessa1970

If your meds are for depression or moods ask them for a review, tell them that your having problems with weight gain and ask to be swapped to different ones... Honestly there are others out there, and if you can swap them now you might just stop the problem developing more. They will know your not in a goid lace at the mo eat so should listen to your concerns

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Hey Nessa, i read your posts, the opening one in particular i felt you. These posts could have been me a few years ago. I too hated the attention factor and began to believe i was doing it just for attention.
I didn't see any mention of diabulmia here - an eating disorder where type one diabetics skip insulin to lose weight.
You mentioned self harm. You do understand that abusing insulin is just another form of self harm. It's just another form of cutting and therefore if you haven't engaged in other areas of self harm for a while, it's easy to go to a different one - so now it's abusing insulin.
It's important to understand that this is nothing to do with weight, or cutting. These are just symptoms of the inner struggle, the inner emotions. Until we learn to deal with what's actually going on underneath all the s**t, people like me will just keep jumping from one form of self harm to another.
Dealing with the s**t, for me, took much more than once a week therapy. I was in therapy for years before the pain got bad enough, and i was hurting myself in a number of ways. For me, i ended up in a full time, private treatment center for a short time where i was finally able to face my inability to accept and do diabetes and life. I finally learnt tools to deal with my emotions and to talk of them, rather than abuse insulin or other substances. I, too, had to deal with ptsd and anxiety, and once i actually dealt with that, i was free to move forward.
I'm still struggling but today I'm grateful to be in a process of recovery. I need a lot more support than just once a week therapy, but i learnt to be much better at taking responsibility for myself and for my actions. My diabetes control has come up again recently triggering depression and other negative emotions but i remind myself that it's a part of the process in recovery and it's a slow journey. I have tools today that maybe i had to learn before being able to truly and squarely deal with my diabetes as a young adult.
I'm sharing with you this in the hope that my experience can give you hope that there is another way out there. Hang in there and when you are ready, reach out and find your truth to how to find tools to deal with yourself without abusing insulin or engaging in self harm.
Feel free to message if you want.
I'm sorry if i misunderstood or am projecting. At least I'll have gained for writing this post!

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nessa1970

If your meds are for depression or moods ask them for a review, tell them that your having problems with weight gain and ask to be swapped to different ones... Honestly there are others out there, and if you can swap them now you might just stop the problem developing more. They will know your not in a goid lace at the mo eat so should listen to your concerns

Do you have any recommendations

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nessa, I'm not at home at the moment, and can never remember what my meds are I'm on so much, I will post again, when I've got them in front of me, I just wanted you to know I'm not ignoring or avoiding you... It's got a weird name.

Please bear with me
Xx

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you have any recommendations
If your on depokote, the average weight gain for this med is between 6-12 stone... You want to google it, try googling your meds to see what others have to say about it :) it will give you information when you talk to your docs

Bs0lth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi sorry it's taken a little while

But I was given aripiptazole as a mood stabilizer. It works well for me and it doesn't make you gain weight.

Worth asking about

Xx