NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
tesco's minced beef with the most fat i could find was 11g fat/100g
tescos chicken thighs+skin are 17g/100g.

Fatty meat is not easy to find these days. Butchers might supply it but most butchers don't tell you how much fat is in the product, and are unfortuantely very expensive.
The "lean" and "very lean" minced beef here is more expensive than the regular (20% fat) minced beef. It's true here that a lot of the stores don't even sell the 20% fat stuff. However, I don't think it's necessary to worry about the fat content of meat.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat primarily chicken+skin, with some pork for breakfast. I'm not sure that would be sufficient without plants to supplement.

I must say i don't really have a taste for beef, and try as I might liver, while heavily nutritious, is just 'orrible!
I'm sure it would be sufficient. There's nothing in plants that is not in meat that is required by humans. Otherwise, nobody would be able to survive on an all-meat diet.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
www.bbc.co.uk/education/guides/z2m39j6/revision/6

This is very simplistic summary illustrating the loss of energy each time one organism consumes another. As I have said before some land cannot be used for growing crops and therefore a limited amount of the energy available in the grass can be transferred to the tissue of e.g. cattle and beef becomes a human food source. I hope this answers your question. However, the energy needs of many of the world's people is being met at the producer (plant) level and eating meat is a rare option.
What was the question?

ghost_whistler

I'm sure it would be sufficient. There's nothing in plants that is not in meat that is required by humans. Otherwise, nobody would be able to survive on an all-meat diet.
That's the point of contention, and I'm not entirely sure how true it is. perhaps someone can clarify

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That's the point of contention, and I'm not entirely sure how true it is. perhaps someone can clarify
If someone can name something that is in plants and not in meat that humans need, I'd like to know what that is. If there is something that is in plants and not in meat that humans need, how do people who do not eat any plant derived foods survive?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Part of the benfit of meat, is that when the farming is done right, the soil is covered with grass 100% of the time. With other crops, at least some of the year, there is bare soil.

ghost_whistler

Is there a danger of overeating protein?

THis is something that the low carb community cannot reconcile. I personally can't do less than 100g protein a day, yet there are others who swear you must stick to the macro of about 70g a day (on average) because too much, for wahtever reason, isn't healthy

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A zero carb diet can also contain eggs, fowl, fish, shellfish, and dairy. It does not have to be just meat. Also not all meat is farmed. A lot of people still eat wild meat where I live.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
If someone can name something that is in plants and not in meat that humans need, I'd like to know what that is. If there is something that is in plants and not in meat that humans need, how do people who do not eat any plant derived foods survive?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
If you only ate meat i.e. muscle tissue from animals and birds and no fish, shellfish, dairy or eggs, you would become calcium deficient over time. Have you had your Ca levels tested recently?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember with are talking about adults, in chldren clearly calcium etc is needed in large amount. There seems to be evidance in on very low carb, the body holds onto what it needs better .

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you only ate meat i.e. muscle tissue from animals and birds and no fish, shellfish, dairy or eggs, you would become calcium deficient over time. Have you had your Ca levels tested recently?
No, I haven't, but I have no symptoms of calcium deficiency. But I never said I ate only muscle meat. I said I only eat animal based food, which includes dairy, eggs, and seafood. People who only eat muscle meat seem to do fine, though.

According to the interweb, most westerners already don't get the RDA for calcium, yet most people don't have obvious symptoms of calcium deficiency (apart from osteoperosis in old people), so I suspect the RDA is well above the level where'd you'd see obvious symptoms. It seems the RDA is meant to address long term bone loss. But a confounding factor is vitamin D. Inadequate vitamin D is also a factor in bone loss and most westerners don't get enough vitamin D.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
https://chriskresser.com/got-digestive-problems-take-it-easy-on-the-veggies/

I have digestive issues mostly caused by fruits and veggies. No issues with protein and fats. It really stinks as I love all veggies but have to keep portions quite small. I digest them better when eaten alone but then I’m starving. I need 80% fat to feel good.

And I'm the opposite, meat does not travel in my colon-least of all belly pork or pork rind etc.. wish sometimes I could eat it, as especially miss belly pork and steak but not worth the pain or bloating or ambulancemen with morphine and a&e!

All very different..

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi, in your first post on this thread you said that you ate 'meat only'. Much I what I have posted since has been in response to that statement. However, it would seem that you have an animal-based diet with the occasional bit of plant! Now things make more sense.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, in your first post on this thread you said that you ate 'meat only'. Much I what I have posted since has been in response to that statement. However, it would seem that you have an animal-based diet with the occasional bit of plant! Now things make more sense.

Do you know what a zero carb way of eating involves?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drnk coffee and occasionally have wine or spirits. I even go off the rails sometimes and eat non-zero carb food, but not very ofcten.

What do you mean "can eat this way"? I don't think I have any special physiological adaptations compared to other people.

I think it might be difficult to quantify the environmental costs of meat versus plant foods. You'd have to take into account the conditions where the food is produced (e.g. the chemicals used to control weeds, the energy spent planting and harvesting, the effect of irrigation),the amount of wastage (more than half of fruit/veg don't make it to a plate, from what I've read), the energy spent storing and shipping it it thousands of miles (in my case from California and farther), etc. My guess is that the way I eat comes out ahead as it's all local (no more than 100 miles or so) and the cattle eat mostly grass on land that is not suitable to grow anything else. You'll most likely be able to find vegan propaganda that says otherwise, though.
You forgot the methane emissions on top of (or bottom of) the Co2, and which is more aggressive in ozone depletion and global warming. However, cattle can feed off silage, which is something I cannot do. A spinach smoothy is closest I can get to that, and even that is unhealthy for me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what a zero carb way of eating involves?
I look forward to an explanation of what no carb eating looks like on a daily basis, as I have no idea and would like to know how it works out in terms of menu and portions. I would be grateful if you can educate me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I look forward to an explanation of what no carb eating looks like on a daily basis, as I have no idea and would like to know how it works out in terms of menu and portions. I would be grateful if you can educate me.
Sure although it was directed more at the Doc...
Zero carb is usually defined as eating no plant food at all but only consuming animal food.
So meat fish eggs dairy only. Some limit it even more if they have really bad digestive problems and only eat say beef.
Water, coffee, tea and also usually included.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, "meat" in the zero carb world is just short-hand for animal derived food. Sorry about the confusion. However, there are zero carbers that do just eat muscle meat and are healthy after many years of eating this way.