Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
***ELECTION UPDATE***

Hi, thank you all for taking part in the nominations and this year's election process. As we only have a few new mods joining the team there is no need for an election, and we will be welcoming the new mods

lovinglife
TriciaWs
ianf0ster

Joining the returning members of

EllieM
VashtiB
KennyA
Pipp

We will be losing two mods as their terms have now finished, and we would like to thank them for all of their hard work and dedication.

Jaylee
Antje77

Hi everyone! It's that time of the year again where we look to refresh the panel of moderators who volunteer to moderate the Diabetes.co.uk Forum.

Forum moderator nominations 2023 are open!

We're pleased to open up nominations for members to become a forum moderator for 2023-2024.

Moderators play a significant role in ensuring the diabetes forum is a safe, compassionate and inclusive place for all. We welcome lively discussion but are always mindful we are in this together. I'd like to thank the moderators for their time and effort over the last year (and more!). What a year the last 12 months have proved to be!

HOW TO NOMINATE:

Please tag a forum member to nominate them (you can say why too if you like, but please keep this post about nominations). All forum members must confirm their nomination (unless self-nominating) before they will be added to the nominations list. Anonymous nominations: people can nominate by sending a PM to any moderator on the forum, if you prefer to remain anonymous.

Nominations will close on 28th May.

KEY DATES:
17th May - 28th May (midnight):
nominations open for moderators 2023
1st June - 12th June: voting opens
13th June: Results announced ASAP.
An Induction Period for new and existing moderators will follow.

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER NOMINATIONS ARE CONFIRMED:

After nominations are confirmed, there will be an election where members can vote for their forum moderators! A panel of 8-10 moderators is desired to maintain diversity within the moderator team.

Once the date has passed, votes will be collected and the moderator team announced. We look forward to this year's nominations, elections and welcoming new community forum moderators.

UPDATE EDIT 26 May:
Current mods remaining with another year before needing to be elected:

@KennyA
@Pipp

Current mods standing for re-election for second term of two years:
Nominated:

@EllieM
@VashtiB

Nominations accepted:
@lovinglife
@TriciaWs
@EllieM
@VashtiB

Nominations awaiting decision:
@ianf0ster
@Ryhia
@catinahat
@ajbod
@HSSS
@jonathan183
@Zhnyaka

Nominations declined:
@Lobsang Tsultim
@Hopeful34
@PenguinMum
@JoKalsbeek
@jjraak
@ianpspurs
@Rokaab
@In Response
@Outlier
@shelley262
@MrsA2
@miahara
@DJC3
@Oldvatr

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So get nominating, folks.
Your forum needs you!
If you are a bit shy, you can send a PM to a mod rather than post in the thread. That will keep it confidential.
Even if you want to volunteer and nominate yourself, that is fine.
Look forward to seeing lots of candidates.:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So get nominating, folks.
Your forum needs you!
If you are a bit shy, you can send a PM to a mod rather than post in the thread. That will keep it confidential.
Even if you want to volunteer and nominate yourself, that is fine.
Look forward to seeing lots of candidates.:)

Pipp, or @Administrator , do we know which if any of the current Mods are retiring, or staying in post for another year? That'd help me I think.

Thanks!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp, or @Administrator , do we know which if any of the current Mods are retiring, or staying in post for another year? That'd help me I think.

Thanks!
Currently, to my knowledge , @KennyA and myself @Pipp, have another year before we have to consider if we choose to be stand to be re-elected.
@EllieM and @VashtiB have served two years, so if they choose will need to be nominated and stand for election.
@Jaylee and @Antje77, have served maximum time, and will not be eligible for the next two years.
I hope @Administrator will be able to confirm this.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently, to my knowledge , @KennyA and myself @Pipp, have another year before we have to consider if we choose to be stand to be re-elected.
@EllieM and @VashtiB have served two years, so if they choose will need to be nominated and stand for election.
@Jaylee and @Antje77, have served maximum time, and will not be eligible for the next two years.
That's my understanding too.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks Pipp. It just doesn't seem useful to nominate folks who either can't re-stand or don't want to, for whatever reason.

I'll get my thinking cap on.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To start the ball rolling , I nominate current mods @EllieM, and @VashtiB.
They have served well during the post pandemic period that has been difficult for all organisations. I value their expertise, and calm dedication to balanced and fair discussion.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks!
Hi,

I can confirm I’m looking forward to getting my dark blue retired livery back after making it 2 full terms as a mod. (= 4 years.)

It’s been a blast… :cool: My sincere well wishes moving forward with a new “band line up..”:)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm confirming that I will stand for re-election, but would really like to have some new members on the team. So please make some nominations folks.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @EllieM I will stand for re-election but would really like some new members. I am very passionate about the forum and mods are really needed to ensure that the forum stays the awesome place it is.

I'd also really like to thank @Jaylee and @Antje77 for the amazing service they have both provided to the forum.

I can assure anyone who is thinking of nominating or accepting a nomination that it is a really worthwhile thing to do.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well here goes! I’m gonna stick my head above the parapet and volunteer myself, I’ve been here a long time (14 years this June) and owe a lot to this forum and it’s members over the years so I think it’s about time I gave something back. I’m not the most knowledgeable of people and I don’t read research papers or trawl the internet for information etc. I’m only an expert in myself.

But I’ve always said every time that it mod nominations it’s not about subject knowledge but about being fair and objective and maintaining forum rules with respect, so yeah put me down for a go

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, if anyone is asking!
I'm not in a position or good place to spend more time on here.
I wish that I could help everyone because of my experience and like others who have been mods, I have every confidence that the tremendous work and support that needs to look after this valuable forum is maintained.
People really need this place.
Especially, the wreck of the U.K. has become!

I wish everyone best wishes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well here goes! I’m gonna stick my head above the parapet and volunteer myself, I’ve been here a long time (14 years this June) and owe a lot to this forum and it’s members over the years so I think it’s about time I gave something back. I’m not the most knowledgeable of people and I don’t read research papers or trawl the internet for information etc. I’m only an expert in myself.

But I’ve always said every time that it mod nominations it’s not about subject knowledge but about being fair and objective and maintaining forum rules with respect, so yeah put me down for a go
Brilliant! Our first candidate.

You also touched a note personally with me regarding your sentiment. It’s a privilege to be a mod.

… & the “black hooded robes” we “allegedly” wear when online are also quite fetching. ;)

Good luck..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Bravo, lovinglife.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just a reminder that you can nominate anonymously (yourself or someone else) by PMing a mod or even by reporting a post on this thread and saying in the report that you wish to nominate a forum member (Reports get seen by all moderators). If you don't want to nominate yourself, how about nominating someone who you think would make a good addition to the team?

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77