How do we have a low carb Christmas?

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That for me is preferable to the sluggishness felt after the overindulgence of the past that tended to go on at least until 2nd January.

That's one thing I'm glad not to have to suffer anymore: eating so much chocolate and other junk that I feel sick and queasy. Crazily I did that for years and not just at Christmas. :oops:

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I booked for Christmas Day lunch at the same Hotel as last year.... ..Last week I had to go
into Hospital for a "Contrast Cat Scan"...in for 3 days ,...mainly for Kidneys check and other
regions as I have Bladder Cancer (10 years now) and have been Diabetic Type 2 for 40 yrs.
I had to see the Diabetic Nurse at the local Medical Centre the day after being discharged
so just out of interest I took a copy of the Hotel Christmas Menu and asked her for her opinion.
The surprising answer was "Enjoy it"....one day of Traditional "Turkey and ALL the trimmings
wont disrupt too much .....make it Red wine......and a coffee and a brandy (One).to finish it off.
Looking forward to it even more now.......Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to everyone.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
That's all very well of her to give you the go ahead but it's not her that has to suffer the carb overload hangover. I have no faith in DNs - mine was interested and impressed by my LCMF results yet only two days ago she told someone I work with who I tested on my monitor at 25.6 to eat carbs with every meal because carbs should form the basis of everyone's diet. Oh, and that she shouldn't have let me test her as it has obviously made her worried.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's the thing isn't it? It's one day a year to non-diabetics but to us diabetics it's bleedin hours of testing and stuff afterwards. Hello blood sugar roller coaster and the sugar hangover.
I would rather stick with my low carb and feel good with my family for the day.
One year my mil cooked. She was so pleased with her low carb approach. It was lovely. I had blood sugars of 17 within an hour of eating because 'honey is a natural sweetener so it's good for you' after I'd eaten it. I had to spend the rest of the day correcting, being grateful and wanting to throw up.
I'll take low carb and good health.

Reactions: 9 people

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Dear.....seems as if I've (Unintentionally) upset one or two members.
Maybe I should have mentioned that the last 10 years out of the 40
that I have been and still am Type 2 have been spent in Spain where I
moved to in 1968.
I trust my Diabetic Nurse implicitly .....I was allocated to her when I registered
on the Spanish NHS and deal with no one else,,,,,,,the same thing happened
when I was allocated my Lady Doctor and deal only with her as well.
They work in conjunction with each other and between them they give
the best treatment and advice I could hope for.
Yes.....I do realise everyone is different and therefore have different reactions
and their own opinions ....I can only speak as I find........Personally.

Reactions: 6 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Dear.....seems as if I've (Unintentionally) upset one or two members.
Maybe I should have mentioned that the last 10 years out of the 40
that I have been and still am Type 2 have been spent in Spain where I
moved to in 1968.
I trust my Diabetic Nurse implicitly .....I was allocated to her when I registered
on the Spanish NHS and deal with no one else,,,,,,,the same thing happened
when I was allocated my Lady Doctor and deal only with her as well.
They work in conjunction with each other and between them they give
the best treatment and advice I could hope for.
Yes.....I do realise everyone is different and therefore have different reactions
and their own opinions ....I can only speak as I find........Personally.

I don't think you have upset anyone @pensionistamike I think others have just stated what it would do to them really but I would think if you had the same menu last year and didn't suffer a carb hangover enough to put you off ever doing it again then you can go for it and enjoy it xx

Reactions: 3 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Woohoo mr pensionistamike - you haven't upset anyone! If I could I'd live on Ben and Jerrys ice cream. Haagen Dazs if I really had to.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's one thing I'm glad not to have to suffer anymore: eating so much chocolate and other junk that I feel sick and queasy. Crazily I did that for years and not just at Christmas. :oops:
You weren't the only one! I have no self control if such things are in the house and once a box of chocolates was opened it would shortly disappear and not just the ones I liked either. Yes I even ate the coffee creams:eek:

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found some 99% cocoa chocolate at 8g carbs per 100g. I didn't know it existed. It's very rich and not sweet at all. I've got some 90% as backup (14g carbs). They will last me until Feb at least. Keeps me right away from ordinary chocolate.

jesse112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dread christmas every year being type 1 diabetic and insulin depedent. I see my uncle how is type 2 stuff his face with all the sugar and carbs he can then he wonders why he does not feel well stupid . Im boycotting it this year and spending it on my own with a tuna salad and a tall glass of what for it !!!!!! Water . Sorry for being a grumpypuss but just found out i have low bone density after breaking 3 of my toes my foot and my leg just by going for a walk didnt even fall over just put my foot down and its snapped ouch lol

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I dread christmas every year being type 1 diabetic and insulin depedent. I see my uncle how is type 2 stuff his face with all the sugar and carbs he can then he wonders why he does not feel well stupid . Im boycotting it this year and spending it on my own with a tuna salad and a tall glass of what for it !!!!!! Water . Sorry for being a grumpypuss but just found out i have low bone density after breaking 3 of my toes my foot and my leg just by going for a walk didnt even fall over just put my foot down and its snapped ouch lol
I liked your comment not because you were in pain but because you are looking after yourself. You aren't being a grumpy puss but you are setting yourself up to being well and able to enjoy company and not having a raging sugar hangover.

jesse112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I liked your comment not because you were in pain but because you are looking after yourself. You aren't being a grumpy puss but you are setting yourself up to being well and able to enjoy company and not having a raging sugar hangover.
Thankyou mrs vimes i actually really enjoy my tuna salads so are you type 1 or 2 ?

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My hubby has just said to me: 'At least I won't have to queue up in Thornton's this year!'

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby has just said to me: 'At least I won't have to queue up in Thornton's this year!'
lol. Every cloud!
You can send him into Lidl's and Aldis instead. They do some fab quality 70% choc at great prices.
:D

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou mrs vimes i actually really enjoy my tuna salads so are you type 1 or 2 ?
I'm type 1 living with a type 2. Lchf suits us both. He does as he's told. At first he was all 'I might as well live on fresh air' but when he started feeling better and realised what we could eat he got stuck in.

Feeling good / normal beats a mince pie. If you can bolus for it and head the spike off good luck and eat one for me. But I'm good at maths and yet still make mistakes. Lchf means if I make a mistake it's a small safe mistake.
Sugar free jelly and the thickest cream I can get. My partner is going to put vanilla pods in ! That will do me.

meJulie

Hi Copey, I started the same kind of thread last year as it was my first Xmas as a diagnosed Type 2. As I've done well (so far) on my blood sugar control, I plan to have a few potato treats this year. I've completely lost my appetite for sweet things so won't be touching any desserts out of choice. But I'm going to have a couple of roast spuds and stuffing and the same as last year, I'll get on the treadmill an hour later for a 10 walk and watch the blood sugars come right down!

I am more relaxed this year but not so much that I make foolish choices. I have a dear colleague who eats high carb after high carb then gets disillusioned that her hba1c is so high. I'm glad (actually relieved) that I have such incredible restraint and am not sure where it comes from!

For any newbie, I'd suggest a slight pig out if you can get moving around soon after to lower the effects of the carbs. Also, only pig out if you're sure you can break the spell soon afterwards. I gave up chocolate as soon as I was diagnosed as I knew from experience that I'm a chocoholic. One taste and I'll be back in it's thrall. So no chocolate for me ever again and these days, I'm not even sorry.

Have some treats, make sure you can recover from them mentally and physically. :D
Wow I am impressed with your results, well done, I hope to get good results in the new year, I am just reading blogs to get ideas and inspire me, yours has. I will revisit blogs after xmas I am going to have my last blow out christmas first:/

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have had a lovely day doing some Christmas prep. Cranberry chia seed jam which will be used for making frangipane tarts and a roulade; lemon curd; and apple compote for the grand parents to go with baked egg custard which I will be having with blueberries. Blueberries considered too 'alternative' for grand parents! Tomorrow I will be making a chicken, gammon and leek pie (which I will be eating without the pastry), mashed cauliflower and shredded creamed cabbage to take down to grand parents (in their 90s). This way I get to eat what works for me and they don't have to do cooking:angelic:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have had a lovely day doing some Christmas prep. Cranberry chia seed jam which will be used for making frangipane tarts and a roulade; lemon curd; and apple compote for the grand parents to go with baked egg custard which I will be having with blueberries. Blueberries considered too 'alternative' for grand parents! Tomorrow I will be making a chicken, gammon and leek pie (which I will be eating without the pastry), mashed cauliflower and shredded creamed cabbage to take down to grand parents (in their 90s). This way I get to eat what works for me and they don't have to do cooking:angelic:

Can I come?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Room for one more?