Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it was foolhardy to start this thread. It was brave. I have had my say and am grateful to Osidge for allowing me to say it. It would be good if the other mods could comment though.
I have to agree. Osidge has my respect for starting this thread. He was never going to hear what he wanted to hear but I think he knew that. Still, there was a good mix. I also am surprised that none of the other mods had anything to say on this matter.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi all

Many thanks for your views/comments to date. I hope more of our members feel able to voice their views to help the forum move forward. Strangely, I do not think I have read anything that surprises me/that I was not expecting. So far the comments have been very helpful along with those I have received by PM - which I am happy to have (on the understanding that I will be sharing them with mods and admin).

Regards

Doug

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
As to the general question of moderation on this forum I think it is well understood to be a time consuming, frustrating and difficult thing. Frankly, I'm happy to post when I can and where I feel I have something to add but there is no way I could commit the hours to being a mod so thank you to those of you who do.

I would say that what makes 'A Good Mod' is difficult to pinpoint. In law the idea of 'negligence' comes up a lot and is a very difficult concept to really get to grips with. I heard a good description of negligence as being the sort of behaviour that makes one wince. I'd say that applying that sort of idea to moderation would be that bad moderation would be the sort of thing that makes one frown. Good moderation then would be the opposite; the light touch the fair decision and so on.

As an aside though, and this seems to be a common issue with you @Osidge, is that this thread isn't really about 'moderators' it's about you isn't it? I'd say that if you are feeling let down that more people don't rally to your side then don't be a moderator. If you are doing it because you want people to say; 'wow, that Osidge is a good egg' then that sort of defeats the altruistic impulse doesn't it?

Reactions: 8 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I went into a clothes shop some years ago but didnt like the the attitude of the staff there so I have never been back.

If you dont like the moderation of a particular forum then find another, there are far more forums out there than there are clothes shops.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One can watch a great movie & still have the experience marred by a child kicking the back of your seat.. It's still a great cinematic experience though..

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Except Sid if you don't agree with something then change it instead of running away. If you had written to the chairman of the clothes company then they may have realised and changed instead of losing your business and possibly many others. I do understand the frustration though as I once queued for an hour to pay in C&A and never went back and I also queued one xmas to buy a pressie for my wife in M&S only to find they wouldnt acceopt my payment method so I left and went elsewhere. I never went back to M&S until they changed their policy. If people hadn't told them that the policy is hurting then they may never have changed.

The forum is nothing without its members and if something is driving away members then it is better to draw it out and change than to bury our heads

Reactions: 6 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went into a clothes shop some years ago but didnt like the the attitude of the staff there so I have never been back.

If you dont like the moderation of a particular forum then find another, there are far more forums out there than there are clothes shops.
That's your choice as you often tell us you "rarely post here anymore" but it's not really constructive. If you didn't like the current Prime Minister or Government, would you just not vote any more ? It's the easy option to accept everything.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Public apologies would be nice, if a moderator is free to publicly slap the wrist of a poster and is then found to have made a mistake then he/she should make the effort to publicly apologise to the person concerned,
I think the most important word the mods should learn is "SORRY".......... as in "Sorry chaps we seem to be getting off topic" rather than "If you don't get back on track the thread will be locked".
@Osidge , Sorry, I have to agree with others here, if you are finding the job tiresome and unrewarding then surely, for your own peace of mind, its time to hang up your edit/delete button and find something else that makes your soul sing.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Public apologies would be nice, if a moderator is free to publicly slap the wrist of a poster and is then found to have made a mistake then he/she should make the effort to publicly apologise to the person concerned,
I think the most important word the mods should learn is "SORRY".......... as in "Sorry chaps we seem to be getting off topic" rather than "If you don't get back on track the thread will be locked".
@Osidge , Sorry, I have to agree with others here, if you are finding the job tiresome and unrewarding then surely, for your own peace of mind, its time to hang up your edit/delete button and find something else that makes your soul sing.

Here, here sd, very well put.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Two more ideas come to me,
1....Why not give the members a say in who is appointed as a moderator, there are some wonderful members here who would make terrific mods.
2....Have a term date for moderators, as in 1 year then re election, burdensome maybe, but it would make sure the person concerned follows the moderators rules or is removed and replaced with someone willing to do so.......

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
If a mod is feeling this way, They should be able to hang up their badge for as long as it takes to feel better, proud of their efforts in aid of the forum:happy:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will still be on the footie thread I hope? There's an interesting match on Boxing Day ;)
Just in case I'm elsewhere on Boxing Day (which is quite likely, particularly if it's a nice day) may I give you my commiserations in advance? :p :)

Right; back on topic...............

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
When members feel they have been unfairly or unjustly treat when posting, it's human nature to "fight back." In reality, It's pointless really, especially when you consider the forum rules regarding moderating decisions. Personally, I don't let it bother me anymore. Flys over my head at break-neck speed. I try to extend some pity for those who exhibit narrow-minded moderation, that may also be viewed as heavy handed. Put simply, the forum is what it is. No point in fighting a battle you can't win. So, we all have to learn to "like it or lump it." Members should vote with their feet & "do one" if they can't stomach another petty, destructive edit etc. Just rise above it. Save yourself some stress & pick your battles. Forum rules regarding moderator decisions bring "the final word" dictate you ain't ever gonna come 1st on this one. Aiming for consistent, fair, impartial censure is a desirable goal, even if not always achieved. It's a noble aim none-the-less.

Edited to remove any ambiguity.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Put simply, the forum is what it is. No point in fighting a battle you can't win. So, we all have to learn to "like it or lump it." Members should vote with their feet & "do one" if they can't stomach another destructive edit etc.

But the 'run away' option just enables the entrenchment of poor practice doesn't it?

Aiming for consistent, fair, impartial censure is a desirable goal, even if not always achieved. It's a noble aim none-the-less.

So you should stick around to work towards that after all, then?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
But the 'run away' option just enables the entrenchment of poor practice doesn't it?

So you should stick around to work towards that after all, then?

Oh I've no intention of leaving the forum. I enjoy myself. I give & gain in equal measure. And, the politics doesn't bother me anymore. But, if it did, I'd walk. I pick my battles, & can't see the point of fighting a battle that I can never win. After all, the forum rules state "Moderator decisions are final and not up for discussion." So, why would I stress myself out by trying to change a directive that is entrenched in the forum philosophy. Changes of that nature are management driven. Apart from that, My time is too valuable, so I'll carry on as I am, thanks very much. Kind of you to give your opinion for me to review though. Or perhaps you were trying to goad me. If so, wooooosh!! That was the sound of it going right over the top of my head. Other battles to fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Not at all, just trying to clarify what seemed to be a mixed message.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
To set the record straight, I value the forum and the helpful vehicle it can be. This thread is not about me, I am not burnt out and enjoy working in partnership with my colleagues in admin and the mod team.

All forums need regular review and, as people have views on moderation, it seemed a good idea for members to have the opportunity to air their views, complaints, plaudits and, indeed, comments on whether I am an old has-been who ought to be moving on!!

Regards

Doug

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

To set the record straight, I value the forum and the helpful vehicle it can be. This thread is not about me, I am not burnt out and enjoy working in partnership with my colleagues in admin and the mod team.

All forums need regular review and, as people have views on moderation, it seemed a good idea for members to have the opportunity to air their views, complaints, plaudits and, indeed, comments on whether I am an old has-been who ought to be moving on!!

Regards

Doug
Cheers Doug .. This is great .. Long may you stay and keep the trouble makers , the bullies away ..etc
But somethings may need to change though .. Have a happy Christmas , I love this working together discussion ..Kat

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not at all, just trying to clarify what seemed to be a mixed message.

Hi @sanguine,

I've edited my post to, hopefully, remove any ambiguity. Perhaps my sarcasm was too subtle. ;) Most unusual for a Geordie. o_O No offence meant. Well, maybe a little at the time. :oops: But perhaps we both picked each other up the wrong way. May you & yours have a wonderfully happy Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.