Moderation on diabetes.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kat100

I think this thread is an excellent example of why the moderators are doing a good, necessary job.
Within a few posts it's become a lchf issue.
There are other ways apart from lchf, they moderate equally on these threads as well.

(The forum isn't a democracy, as far as I know, someone owns it, sets the rules, appoints the management, and let's us post. If it didn't work, it wouldn't be as popular as it is now, the fact we're all here shows the majority of us seem to find the model is working ok)
There's a thought , who does own it .. Asking in the interest of transparency .. Always wondered .. Thanks

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a thought , who does own it .. Asking in the interest of transparency .. Always wondered .. Thanks

'Diabetes.co.uk is part of Diabetes Digital Media Ltd, based in the heart of England. Since 2007, Diabetes.co.uk has grown into the largest diabetes community in Europe and receives over 1 million users a month. Diabetes Digital Media is a private organisation with an established 'community-profit' culture. Whatever we do, we always act with the diabetes community's interest at heart.

Diabetes.co.uk reinvests money earned from this website into developing our community, useful and informative content, education programs, apps and interactive tools to aid the community. Please see Our Mission for further information.'

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/about.html

From the Mission Statement.

'Finding the right diet: diabetes and low-carb

On the forum, we've seen a staggering amount of anecdotal evidence in favour of the low-carb diet. Dr. David Unwin, inspired by the stories he read there, has since conducted several studies, and found that the low-carb diet reduces HbA1c levels and aids weight loss in people with type 2 diabetes.

We don't push the low-carb diet onto anyone - for some people, it won't work. We encourage people to make their own decisions, and we offer our support regardless of what diet they follow. We urge people with diabetes to check with their doctor before making any major dietary changes.

That said, we're committed to providing comprehensive resources to anybody interested in following the low-carb diet. On World Diabetes Day 2015 (14 November), we launched the Low-Carb program, a structured education course for people interested in the low-carb diet. We believe dietary guidelines need to change, to provide more flexibility and encourage improved diabetes control, and it's our mission to change them.'

K

Kat100

'Diabetes.co.uk is part of Diabetes Digital Media Ltd, based in the heart of England. Since 2007, Diabetes.co.uk has grown into the largest diabetes community in Europe and receives over 1 million users a month. Diabetes Digital Media is a private organisation with an established 'community-profit' culture. Whatever we do, we always act with the diabetes community's interest at heart.

Diabetes.co.uk reinvests money earned from this website into developing our community, useful and informative content, education programs, apps and interactive tools to aid the community. Please see Our Mission for further information.'

On the forum, we've seen a staggering amount of anecdotal evidence in favour of the low-carb diet. Dr. David Unwin, inspired by the stories he read there, has since conducted several studies, and found that the low-carb diet reduces HbA1c levels and aids weight loss in people with type 2 diabetes.

We don't push the low-carb diet onto anyone - for some people, it won't work. We encourage people to make their own decisions, and we offer our support regardless of what diet they follow. We urge people with diabetes to check with their doctor before making any major dietary changes.

That said, we're committed to providing comprehensive resources to anybody interested in following the low-carb diet. On World Diabetes Day 2015 (14 November), we launched the Low-Carb program, a structured education course for people interested in the low-carb diet. We believe dietary guidelines need to change, to provide more flexibility and encourage improved diabetes control, and it's our mission to change them.'
I see .. Thank you so much for the trouble taken in sharing this information .. Kat

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Right at the start of this thread you complained about someone mentioning LCHF already. Here we are, and you are just as guilty. She only asked who owned the site. The dietary statement wasn't really required. A fine example of non impartiality :)

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Right at the start of this thread you complained about someone mentioning LCHF already. Here we are, and you are just as guilty. She only asked who owned the site. The dietary statement wasn't really required. A fine example of non impartiality :)

I thought it would have helped if you had a complaint about bias regarding moderation in regard to the companies mission statement. I will edit it out if you prefer not to advise they support lchf?
Personally, I think it is an excellent example of the forum moving forward.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back on track to the original question now?
We appear to have digressed a bit.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And, if you have it right, you choose to stand still, rather than move forward off the edge of the cliff, just for the sake of moving forward.
Or even choose to sit down, on a chair in the sun in my case.

It will one day then. :)

.... In a bar somewhere, brought up with obligatory drunken "lad culture banter," with a nod towards perverse activity with sheep. Usually.. o_O:rolleyes:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.... In a bar somewhere, brought up with obligatory drunken "lad culture banter," with a nod towards perverse activity with sheep. Usually.. o_O:rolleyes:

You're in a bar, and sheep?
It's interesting, but not really on track to this thread.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're in a bar, and sheep?
It's interesting, but not really on track to this thread.

Stag party. The sheep are inflatable.. At some point one realises the party out on the "jolly" have gone beyond "good taste".. ;)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stag party. The sheep are inflatable.. At some point one realises the party out on the "jolly" have gone beyond "good taste".. ;)

You should never have good taste at a stag party. And never forget the superglue.

S

Shar67

Mods are needed, though some are not impartial at all, in fact seem to fan flames on some threads, I guess some threads bring out the person rather than the mod.
I am part of a private forum, the owner was against a certain lifestyle bit like LCHF diet as at the time all evidence and advise was for the normal standard lots of people were banned for suggesting this certain lifestyle, mods were very cliquey (is that a word) lots of negativity. Couple of years later this certain lifestyle was considered a better way for some, owner took all evidence on board and allowed it to be mentioned, but this left some anti people annoyed and they would deliberately hijack threads, this included some mods, the up shot was there became a splinter group who started their own forum, now both are like beleaguered sub standard forums.

This forum is big with lots of different views and it needs its moderators, it also needs members to report issues, rather than getting the hump and not contributing anymore.

I know of one member uses the same 4 words on threads all the time, these 4 words are used to cause disruption because they can, it annoyed me but now I sit back and watch for them to be shot down as it seems others have cotton on to their game. Should be reported really

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should never have good taste at a stag party. And never forget the superglue.
... Or the cling film.

Seriously. (Staying within the confines of this topic.) There is an immense amount of trust involved...

To a certain extent? I feel @Osidge has left himself wide open to critique.. Fool hardy. But also worthy of admiration.
I still don't quite get this thread. Maybe a "crossroads" has been encountered?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
... Or the cling film.

Seriously. (Staying within the confines of this topic.) There is an immense amount of trust involved...

To a certain extent? I feel @Osidge has left himself wide open to critique.. Fool hardy. But also worthy of admiration.
I still don't quite get this thread. Maybe a "crossroads" has been encountered?

But who removed the signposts.....

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it was foolhardy to start this thread. It was brave. I have had my say and am grateful to Osidge for allowing me to say it. It would be good if the other mods could comment though.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think it was foolhardy to start this thread. It was brave. I have had my say and am grateful to Osidge for allowing me to say it. It would be good if the other mods could comment though.

"Foolhardy" I apologise.. Lol I did say "but worthy of admiration". As a song writer, I have left myself open to reviews.. Though. Can't complain about the feed back. Some didn't quite "get it".. One learns. Moves on. & tries harder next time.! ;)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thread has developed.
It has been allowed to digress, good natured banter has been allowed, some very good suggestions have been made, some complaints have been aired, no sheep have been hurt.
It's been a good post.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add. The last thing I wish to do is hurt anyone's feelings... (Espessialy the "groom".) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.