LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I realised that xx my post was intended as a substitute for the coffee flavoured syrup you used, for those that don't have the actual syrup :)

Reactions: 2 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Dave's creamy, parmesan cabbage!!!

Just made this up to go with the slow cooked pork belly I had for tea. I also did courgettes fried in olive oil. It was delicious, you've got to try it!!!!

I used two sweet heart cabbages, just what Aldi had in.

Take out the cores and slice them length ways, heat a large pan then add cabbage. Add a small amount of water (just enough to create some steam), cover and cook on full heat for 4 or 5 minutes, you want the cabbage wilted but with still some bite.

Take off heat, add a decent knob of butter. a glug of cream and some mustard to taste, (I did a teaspoon), mix thoroughly and put back on the heat, grate some fresh Parmesan on, as much as you want, salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious, I could have ate a mountain of it!

Just need to come up with a low carb sauce to cut through the belly pork fat, needed something sweet and acidic. Although the Sauvignon Blanc did a good job at doing that LOL

You could even add some pancetta or streaky bacon to the cabbage for a low carb carbonara!

Hope you give it a go.
I've been cooking this recipe since I saw it on here last April. It has become a family favourite was even requested for Christmas day...it's so yummy big thank you!!

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Re: Low Carb Recipes.

Low carb meringue pudding:

8 pieces miss meringue chocolate pieces (0 g net carbs)
50 g fresh blueberries or strawberries (6/3 g carbs)
1 tbsp of extra thick cream (? carbs)
scattering of chopped nuts and seeds

Just had this and it was so delicious, these meringues are actually nicer than sugary ones, they aren't as sweet. In the ingredients list total carbs are 8 g in 13 pieces but 2 g is fibre and 6 g sugar alcohol from isomalt I think.
Where do you get the meringue pieces from?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might download that, I need a place to store all my recipes in one place.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get loads of free books off amazon kindle. I've had loads!!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What does everyone know of or think of using stevia?

I prefer liquid forms but will take solid stevia over everything else. I read somewhere that liquid sweeteners are better for you because less stuff is added to it but who really knows??!! X

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I cannot use stevie as I like my tea and coffee and too much gives one diarrhea.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all Master Chefs!

Have any of you got a way of making low carb gravy?

Thanks
D x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Debmcgee, i make my own gravy using the meat juices and bits from the bottom of the roast tin,just add 1 pt of boiling water to them , keepit simmering until its reduced by half,add seasoning, then use guanthan gum powder ,mix it as directed and add to your gravy to thicken

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I freeze meat juices? I'd like sauce to add to the slow cooker as that's my preferred cooking method and my fussy kids seem to enjoy it too!!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Read the other day that there was a test in America about people with diabetes. They did a study on Diabetics eating apple pie, when tested they could not understand why blood levels had come down. It was nothing to do with the apples or the pie, the fact was it was the cinnamon they put in it. Now they are saying diabetics should put cinnamon in there food, if it helps I will certainly try it. :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I add cinnamon to my coffee and Greek yoghurt because I love the taste. Not sure it's done much for my bg but one hopes

Apple cider vinegar is also supposed to lower it. I tried to drink it but gave up as it was so vile!!!!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I like cinnamon on Greek yogurt or quark. Apple pie and cinnamon? Not even with a barge pole!

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Can I freeze meat juices? I'd like sauce to add to the slow cooker as that's my preferred cooking method and my fussy kids seem to enjoy it too!!
Freezing would stop the juices going rancid. I can't see why not.
My mother used to save lard and cook with that as well.

Reactions: 4 people

Streety

Type of diabetes
LADA
Read the other day that there was a test in America about people with diabetes. They did a study on Diabetics eating apple pie, when tested they could not understand why blood levels had come down. It was nothing to do with the apples or the pie, the fact was it was the cinnamon they put in it. Now they are saying diabetics should put cinnamon in there food, if it helps I will certainly try it. :)
Thanks for sharing that. I'll start putting that in my morning chia pudding.

I've also read that Tumeric is a natural anti-inflammatory. Can't hurt to put that in sauces for meat!

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Debmcgee, i make my own gravy using the meat juices and bits from the bottom of the roast tin,just add 1 pt of boiling water to them , keepit simmering until its reduced by half,add seasoning, then use guanthan gum powder ,mix it as directed and add to your gravy to thicken
I bought guanthan gum powder about 18 months ago, I can't remember what for!..... I really don't know what to use it on, so any info would be great.....do you think it's still good? I seem to remember that it was expensive. I'd appreciate your comments.