Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you think this would freeze ok @ewelina ? I was thinking of making it for a buffet on Boxing Day but would need to make it at the weekend before Christmas
I hope so. I made it last week and froze half. I haven't used the frozen portions yet. I probably will next week and will let you know, but I wouldn't think there will be any problem. It is nice. :)

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ewelina I have missed your recipes whilst I have been AWOL from the forum. I have my sights set on the chia choclate pudding and quiche!

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
PerfectStormI post: 1003109 said:
Do you think this would freeze ok @ewelina ? I was thinking of making it for a buffet on Boxing Day but would need to make it at the weekend before Christmas
I have never frozen it so cant advice im afraid. You can freeze normal quiche so this should be similar. Im sure though that pastry wont be as nice as freshly baked

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@PerfectStorm So I defrosted a large slice I froze two weeks ago. In the interest of scientific research, I cut it in half and heated one half in microwave for 1 minute, and had the other half cold. I can report that both were good. :)

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone got any recipes for low carb truffles?

I'm thinking
- high cocoa solids chocolate
- lots of double cream
- flavourings - brandy, rum, orange, mint etc
- chopped nuts, coconut, cocoa for dusting

Any eggs or butter in there? Coconut oil?

Any help with proportions would be great as well.

Thanks
Dave

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Low carb Mince Pies

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/12/mince-pies.html
mince pies4.jpg

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone got any recipes for low carb truffles?

I'm thinking
- high cocoa solids chocolate
- lots of double cream
- flavourings - brandy, rum, orange, mint etc
- chopped nuts, coconut, cocoa for dusting

Any eggs or butter in there? Coconut oil?

Any help with proportions would be great as well.

Thanks
Dave

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2013/02/coffee-and-chocolate-truffles.html

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2013/04/bountytruffles-ifyou-like-bounty.html

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/05/chocolate-truffles.html

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As requested:

Baked Lemon Cheesecake

3 large eggs, separated
300g full fat soft cheese - like Philadelphia but I use Asda's own brand
100g full fat creme fraiche or soured cream
200g full fat cottage cheese - I use a full tub of Longley full fat cream cheese
finely grated zest of 2-3 lemons. I like it very lemony so I use 3
Quarter cup of Splenda or equivalent of whatever sweetener you prefer but don't add too much, keep tasting until right for you.
Rounded tablespoon of cornflour

In a large bowl whip egg whites until firm peaks stage

In another large bowl mix together all the other ingredients and beat until smooth.

Then slowly fold in the beaten egg whites in to the other mixture.

Pour in to a pre-lined baking dish and bake at gas mark 3 / 160c / 350f until golden and risen - takes about an hour. Cool and refrigerate before eating.

Serves 4-6 If dividing in to 4 servings according to MyFitnessPal each portion is 399 calores but only 6.3g / carbs
32.5g of fat, 15.3g protein.

Reactions: 6 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
And here's the yummy truffles. I've made these at least half a dozen times now and this has been the best recipe so far.

Makes up to 20

140-150g good chocolate (I used the 85% Green & Black's Organic) I made this using frozen choc.
200g Extra Thick Double Cream
25g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons of rum or brandy

Break up chocolate in to squares put in to a food processor or liquidiser and whiz until looks like breadcrumbs.

In a little saucepan put in cream, butter and rum/brandy and heat gently until just below a boil - stir all the time.

Then, with the motor running, trickle the hot liquid in to the chocolate. Keep the motor running and whiz for a couple of minutes. Push down all the lumpy mixture up the sides with a spatula then whiz for another minute or two. The mixture is hot and should be well combined. If there is a trace of fat unmixed in then keep on mixing.

At this point you can pour the mixture in to a bowl (scraping the sides!) and chill. The next day they can be shaped as you like and rolled in cocoa, nuts or shaved chocolate

OR

While the mixture is hot pour in to some of those little cupcake type cases - the really little ones - it is easier to get a small measureable amount using these. Chill them then decorate as you like before freezing.

These truffles freeze really well and in times of dire necessity it is very possible to eat them while still frozen.

If you make 20 MyFitnessPal says they are 4.3g carbs each and 8g fat / 1.0 g protein / 95 calories.

In some kind of bizarre magical combination of carbs with fat these little beauties don't spike me at all.

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want a quick cheesecake solution try this:

300ml whipped double cream
150g whipped cream cheese at room temp
Some sort of sweeter/flavour to taste. I've recently experimented with adding sugar free coffee syrups - omg yum!!

Whip cream in one bowl.
Whip cream cheese in a second bowl (be careful not to over whip)
Fold together
Add sweetener/flavouring.

Divide into portion sizes amounts (I use 4oz deli pots) and leave in fridge for a couple of hours.

Voila! Easy and is a great go to smack when you're feeling like you need a sweet treat. I'm going to try freezing this too. I've frozen proper cheesecake before and it's been great.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds quick and easy. Please let meknow know how the freezing goes as Im the only one who eats LCHF in our house so I would have to freeze them. I just have to find sf coffee syrup now :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha! You can always just use vanilla extract or lemon extract.....

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im sure it would work with good quality instant coffee dissolved in a small amount of water added to the mix alongside your usual sweetener.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Im sure it would work with good quality instant coffee dissolved in a small amount of water added to the mix alongside your usual sweetener.

I'm talking about the syrup flavours like hazelnut, caramel, toffee etc, not actual coffee xx