Food intake restriction study by Prof. Roy Taylor, et al.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Terry,
If you checked at 2 hours after first bite you could have Reactive Hypoglycemia. You may peak at 1 hour after first bite like some with R.H.
Pse check out the RH section of this forum, if you tested at two hours.
regards
Derek
I have a question: my pre-prandial BS was 6.5 using the Accu-Chek monitor. Post meal was 4.7 which is under 8.5......is this good?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Umm.....Would bacon & 2 eggs do it?

Bacon and egg as have no carbs in, unless you have a sweet cure bacon (maple syrup or the like), so this just goes to illustrate what carbs do to our bloods. I can almost guarantee if I have an omelet, my bloods will be lower after than before. The only time this differs is if I have a liver dump, which means my liver released some glucose as it considered I might have need a bit of a boost.

As a T2, it is highly unlikely you would go low enough to require any action, or come to any medical harm.

I can tolerate oats; I always have been able to (just one of my personal anomalies, it seems), but I just don't bother any more. Whilst I can tolerate them, I find I have other things I prefer for breakfast these days.

lindisfel

Expert
It is odd your blood glucose went down from a fasting level before the meal??
It is pretty much amazing result with an Hba1c's in the 60's.

Did you realize all bread made from wheat produces c.75grms of blood glucose from 100grams of bread?
It not just white bread that is problematical.
D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is odd your blood glucose went down from a fasting level before the meal??
D.

This happens to me, often. But it requires a few specific conditions.

It is usually after breakfast
  • When my bg is raised through Dawn Phenomenon
  • When i have a protein/fat breakfast (like bacon and eggs)
  • When i don't eat carbs
I do have reactive hypoglycaemia, but a RH hypo is triggered by carb intake.
An RH hypo never happens (for me) with just protein/fat, so this is different. This after-protein-breakfast drop is never a hypo, just a gentle lowering to comfortable levels.

I look on it as my body using the carb free brekkie to relax down to normal bg levels, after the dawn phenomenon.

Of course, this is speculation. But it happens quite often :)

Reactions: 7 people

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not aware of the grams with bread & am going to try almond flour.
'This after-protein-breakfast drop is never a hypo, just a gentle lowering to comfortable levels.' as Brunneria suggested is what I suspected. I only buy dry-cured bacon from my local butcher. Maple syrup with bacon is mind-boggling!!
09.25hrs & the diab. nurse was to rung me at 09.15.............!

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She rang & agreed to provide the Accu-chek test strips.

However, I nipped into Salisbury on the 29th & bought the OMRON BF508 Body Composition Monitor. Apart from showing my weight (which agreed with the other digital platform I have) it also gives body, visceral fat, & BMI readings. I didn't need a gizmo to tell me what I already know (overweight) but it does make aiming for another 3 stone's loss more of an adventure I'm determined to win.
2 more lbs have gone this week so that makes 21lbs in 6+1/2 weeks.
I should ask if anyone else is using the OMRON BF508 ?

Best wishes to all for 2016.

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest weigh-in tells me I've lost 24lbs in 8.5 weeks. My fasting BS was 5.5 this am. I MUST do a visceral fat re check tomorrow morning. My fingers are crossed.......!

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest weigh-in tells me I've lost 24lbs in 8.5 weeks. My fasting BS was 5.5 this am. I MUST do a visceral fat re check tomorrow morning. My fingers are crossed.......!

Well done! That is seriously impressive weight loss. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She rang & agreed to provide the Accu-chek test strips.

However, I nipped into Salisbury on the 29th & bought the OMRON BF508 Body Composition Monitor. Apart from showing my weight (which agreed with the other digital platform I have) it also gives body, visceral fat, & BMI readings. I didn't need a gizmo to tell me what I already know (overweight) but it does make aiming for another 3 stone's loss more of an adventure I'm determined to win.
2 more lbs have gone this week so that makes 21lbs in 6+1/2 weeks.
I should ask if anyone else is using the OMRON BF508 ?

Best wishes to all for 2016.

I'm not using the 508, but I do have the 511, so the "big sister". I can't recall the differences, but I have used mine to keep an eye on the visceral fat score and also muscle percentages as I'm now in maintenance mode, but would like to build a little more muscle bulk. I don't want "guns" or bulging quads, just a bit more healthy shape. I also like the memory functionality and the fact that both myself and my OH can have our own profiles on there.

Over Christmas we had a house guest who became curious and was stepping on and off like mad thing. I do believe he may have "invested".

I love my 511 so much I have one set here and another where we spend a decent chunk of the year.

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh.....a 511! There's posh for you! I only knew about these toys when reading my Which? recently so nipped to Salisbury's Argos & bought their last 508 in stock. It does body fat, visceral fat, weight & BMI. It the vesceral I find engaging! A weak electrical current & bingo. Very clever. I'll check for 511.....thanks for the tip.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Can I just ask is the full 8.5 weeks been Newcastle diet?

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Yes, all Newcastle Diet with the odd Scottish oatcake thrown in occaisionally.

As for the Omron 508, I looked at the Which? review again & it got a first class verdict & seems to be accurate ;)

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh.....a 511! There's posh for you! I only knew about these toys when reading my Which? recently so nipped to Salisbury's Argos & bought their last 508 in stock. It does body fat, visceral fat, weight & BMI. It the vesceral I find engaging! A weak electrical current & bingo. Very clever. I'll check for 511.....thanks for the tip.

Terry - I'm certainly not suggesting you have bought something inappropriate. I can't recall the differences between the 508 and 511, but if I recall it was a "nice to have", rather than a "mandatory" in my selection process. For me, the mandatory really was the hand grips, for a more accurate assessment via hand<>feet, as opposed to just feet or just hands, which tend to assess the upper or lower body respectively.

Yes, the visceral fat (VF) score is interesting, although it is only a numerical scale from 0-9 and I can't find anything, anywhere that talks about optimum levels, so I work on it that a modest number is desirable. I honestly can't recall what I was for VF at the outset, and I haven't recorded that progress, but I do know I sat at 4 for what seemed like forever, and am now on 3. I've been at 3 for quite some time (more than 12 months). It's just good to keep an eye on these things.

As with any other form of measurement, it makes sense to have a controlled regime for doing your readings. For me, I use my first bathroom trip of the morning to do both fasting blood score, then step on the scales. I only use the full monitoring functionality once or twice a month, but do weight daily. That way I got to understand my natural weight fluctuations day-to-day.

As you would expect, hydration in particular can impact on your readings, hence I use first thing as I know exactly what fluids I will have taken on-board beforehand (none!), whereas later in the day that would be a constant variable.

If you're a data monster, you'll enjoy the scales. :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
:woot: There are scales with hand grips?
I am living in the dark ages.

and ones that say ouch when you step on them...

You are doing great Terry. I lessened off the diet slowly and reduced my weight loss so I continued towards my target for a year doing stints of flat lining and then weight loss. Your BG fasting seems pretty good and your earlier reported 2 hour post-prandial is also showing good values. Keep it up and I hope your example shocks your health care team into thinking twice about their normal advice.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:woot: There are scales with hand grips?
I am living in the dark ages.

Well, you know how it is, when you sometimes step on there. It can be a bit of a shock. It's good to have something to hold onto. :p

Reactions: 3 people

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 1lb off 2 stones down since I started the Newcastle Diet.

HOWEVER I've posted a question on Ask A Question about blood monitor accuracy. My diabetic nurse has given me a AgaMatrix 'Jazz' which is giving me numbers 1 more than the Accu-Chek Active she gave me 2 months ago. I'm not sure which one to use!!? Any views?

Reactions: 2 people