Food intake restriction study by Prof. Roy Taylor, et al.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... My first post-coronary patient looked like a marathon runner & this brought home to me how different we all are when coping with changes in our lives.......I'm glad I found this forum.

I recently went on an X-PERT course (which was really helpful and supportive), and in the group of around a dozen I sat between a former racing cyclist, typically skin-and-sinew shape and still cycling, and a former climber, also still more than physically fit and active. I fit the ageing, overweight and unfit T2 sterotype, so it was a bit of a shock for me - eye-opener.

Reactions: 2 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I recently went on an X-PERT course (which was really helpful and supportive), and in the group of around a dozen I sat between a former racing cyclist, typically skin-and-sinew shape and still cycling, and a former climber, also still more than physically fit and active. I fit the ageing, overweight and unfit T2 sterotype, so it was a bit of a shock for me - eye-opener.

Yeah, this shows how different people are, and I really like to tell this to people. Genes matters so much, but many people beat themselves up really hard when they get diabetes, but they should know the science of why it can happen to you.

The examples you bring up are really telling, and I am just gonna mention one last one.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...patrick-peterson-focused-on-being-nfls-top-db

Patrick peterson is an american football player. At a weight of 226 pounds, and a height of 6'1 he got diagnosed with diabetes type 2! For me this is amazing. Google pictures of him, he does not look overweight. Genes gave him a low personal fat threshold for diabetes though. He lost weight down to 203 pounds, and he is now in remission. So a weightloss of 23 pounds managed that, but if he were to gain that weight again, he would get diabetes, so he has to be careful.

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's time I posted an update. I saw the diabetic nurse last week for blood results. In the 6 weeks since I started this N.Diet I've reduced my weight by 9KG. My HbA1c has fallen to 66 from 75. It seems I'm defatting my liver too & all other readings are good. My one concern, however, is weight loss has slowed down somewhat. I'm making the slimfast with water now to reduced calories & the diabetic nurse has advised more cabs...she doesn't want me to keel over, so I've started making bread again & having 1 slice!
I hope you all have a pleasant & fruitful seasonal break.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's time I posted an update. I saw the diabetic nurse last week for blood results. In the 6 weeks since I started this N.Diet I've reduced my weight by 9KG. My HbA1c has fallen to 66 from 75. It seems I'm defatting my liver too & all other readings are good. My one concern, however, is weight loss has slowed down somewhat. I'm making the slimfast with water now to reduced calories & the diabetic nurse has advised more cabs...she doesn't want me to keel over, so I've started making bread again & having 1 slice!

Congratulations on the hba1c reduction. And the weight loss. That is great going in 6 weeks.

Very puzzled that your nurse recommended that you add carbs (virtually no beneficial nutrition, and unnecessarily raising your blood glucose), when she could have recommended fresh vegetables (chock full of nutrients, fibre and slow release carbs), or protein (excellent nutrition, satiating and stabilising to blood glucose).

Sometimes i wonder if medical professionals have even a basic grounding in nutrition. :banghead:

Reactions: 8 people

freddy2

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as @Brunneria said, congrats on the weight loss. If it was me, I'd make sure I had the minimum 45g of protein and 50g of fat that is a minimum recommended. I wouldn't add bread or other carbs. the milk with the shakes is also for some protein and on the site, they recommend supplementing further protein and fat.. you may find that the weight loss isn't a steady decline and jumps over the place.
also there is a higher gallstone risk on very low cal dietes and it is recommended to take a 20-40g fat content in one meal a day to empty the gallbladder.

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both. I made the bread & had a slice of toast with a sliced hard boiled egg on it......I couldn't resist it.
I gave the loaf to a friend. I am having non-starchy veg galore with a portion of a pork chop, as & when the fanct taked me.
When I make the drink with water I use 3 instead of the suggested scoops of powder. If I do use skimmed milk then I have 2.

I know from loosing weight in the past it comes off in steps. I'll grin & carry on! I'll work out what 20-40g fat content looks like!!

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your weight loss and Hb reduction. It will be interesting at your next blood test to see what your Hb result is. I can say I wholeheartedly agree with the posts above though, now is not a.good time to be adding bread back into your diet, my last Hb result was 34 back in July and I have only just started eating bread again (low carb home made of course) You seem to be on the right track and I know your DN means well but there are carbs in broccoli as well you know!! and it is easy to start falling back into old habits so take care and do jeep ud updated on your progress.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations on your weight loss and Hb reduction. It will be interesting at your next blood test to see what your Hb result is. I can say I wholeheartedly agree with the posts above though, now is not a.good time to be adding bread back into your diet, my last Hb result was 34 back in July and I have only just started eating bread again (low carb home made of course) You seem to be on the right track and I know your DN means well but there are carbs in broccoli as well you know!! and it is easy to start falling back into old habits so take care and do jeep ud updated on your progress.
Hi, I'm interested in your low carb bread! Could you please post the recipe ?

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you 4ratbags, I looked at the link you supplied, but could only find Bergen bread and the ingredients of the lidl bread have I missed it?

4ratbags I found the recipe thank you so much! Just one more thing, where do I get almond flour from?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get it online at Amazon or it is available at most supermarkets, usually in the gluten free section or with the nuts. The only problem Ive had with the bread is it is too nice, I only made it last night and it is already half gone :oops:

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should ask about porridge....I have a daily bowl of Flahavan's porridge, which might be my main carb. source. I assume this is a good food?
Along with my non-starchy veg. I've started eating eggs & bacon, along with chicken & the odd pork chop. I thought of soon including some fish....
The flour I use for my bread is Stone Ground Maltstar Organic from Cann Mill near Shaftsbury in Dorset. In 500g loaf I put just 2/3 tbs of sugar to make it rise. I'm going to have a go with almond flour I think, after checking AloeSvea recipe in the thread Which Bread?

I mentioned the blood sugar monitor I'd bought for a friend with T2 for Xmas present to the diabetic nurse. She leaned back to some drawers & lifted out a Accu-Chek monitor & dropped in my lap. It seems she is given them. I must now check my BS from time to time & even do a meal check when I have a slice of bread. I'll have to ask about them providing the strips.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posters that you need to ask the nurse what the science is behind her suggestion to have more carbs as it's likely she is just pushing the training she has had to increase the carbs for diabetics which as most of us know is not good advice. Some carbs won't do any harm but they should be low-GI where possible and any bread based on white flour wouldn't be the best approach

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will but don't see her for 2 months. I did say I use Stone Ground Maltstar Organic from Cann Mill near Shaftsbury. It has 3 grains I think & is a 'Granary' flour. I've not tasted white bread for 20 yrs! However, I do not intend to increase my carbs despiter her advice.
I have lost another lb at this morning's weight-in.......

Lennie68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello what is the n diet and is there a link to it ? I am newly diagnosed type 2 and struggle to get the foods right all the time

TerryinDorset

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a question: my pre-prandial BS was 6.5 using the Accu-Chek monitor. Post meal was 4.7 which is under 8.5......is this good?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Brun,
The eat well plate is like sectarian doctrine, one is just expected to believe in the theology with no questions! :)
D.
Congratulations on the hba1c reduction. And the weight loss. That is great going in 6 weeks.

Very puzzled that your nurse recommended that you add carbs (virtually no beneficial nutrition, and unnecessarily raising your blood glucose), when she could have recommended fresh vegetables (chock full of nutrients, fibre and slow release carbs), or protein (excellent nutrition, satiating and stabilising to blood glucose).

Sometimes i wonder if medical professionals have even a basic grounding in nutrition. :banghead: