What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
B. 2 fried eggs, 1 mushroom, some scraps of bacon leftovers. 1 small sl.bread.
L. Various bits of cheese with salad, coleslaw & Mayo - 2 Ryvita
D. Large bowl of homemade soup - with 2 sl. Garlic bread-seed Apple & cream.

I'll try not to have any snacks, but depends on b.s readings

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
B: Coffee with double cream
L: 3 small skin-on chicken thighs and a mini mountain of creamy parmesan cabbage
Work: lidl protein roll with cream cheese and a teaspoon of home made sugar free cranberry sauce

Reactions: 6 people

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
First time posting details of my food consumption so here goes:

B: Coffee with single cream, 1 actimel drink, 2 full fat Babybels
L: 140g drained tuna in springwater, 2 tbsp Helman's mayo, 5 cherry tomatoes
Also had a coffee with milk which my boss made for me and I couldn't refuse!

For dinner I am planning on having roasted red peppers stuffed with feta cheese.and mixed green salad

Reactions: 9 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First time posting details of my food consumption so here goes:

B: Coffee with single cream, 1 actimel drink, 2 full fat Babybels
L: 140g drained tuna in springwater, 2 tbsp Helman's mayo, 5 cherry tomatoes
Also had a coffee with milk which my boss made for me and I couldn't refuse!

For dinner I am planning on having roasted red peppers stuffed with feta cheese.and mixed green salad

I really don't want to say this but I would pack on the pounds with all that dairy. Dairy and grains make me gain weight just looking at them. I can digest it fine but it always goes right to my middle. Just something to play with I guess.

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: cup of tea, water.
L: actimal drink, salad with lambs lettuce, sugar snap peas, cucumber, 5 cherry tomatoes, 5 grapes, sliced chicken breast, mixed seeds and mango, lime and chilli dressing.
D: 3x rice crackers, pickled egg.
S: small handful of almonds.

Reactions: 4 people

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Kristen. That's why I posted as I don't think I have the balance right. I record everything in my fitness pal and try to stick to 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fat, daily calories 1,200. Been doing this for 21 days now and BG is more stable but weight and vital statistics haven't budged. Main aim was to feel better but a reduction in my midriff would be nice! Any advice welcome.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
a bacon sandwich and that was at 9.30 then 12 one slice e of wholemeal bread again . With butter and Jam and zi have an upset stomache not sure why.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Kristen. That's why I posted as I don't think I have the balance right. I record everything in my fitness pal and try to stick to 5% carbs, 25% protein and 70% fat, daily calories 1,200. Been doing this for 21 days now and BG is more stable but weight and vital statistics haven't budged. Main aim was to feel better but a reduction in my midriff would be nice! Any advice welcome.

Anytime Kay. Lots of people can eat dairy but MANY can't when trying to achieve weight loss. Maybe you could sub out dairy with guac/avocado? I smash a whole one in the morning and eat about 2/3 with celery for BF and save the rest to split between lunch and dinner. It's filling and great for BS. I also know that saturated fats are the hardest to burn off so I stick to more plant based fats. I have to keep nuts minimal so mostly avocado, mayo, EVOO and olives. Years ago there was NOTHING I could do to get the belly fat off or bloating and I stopped cottage cheese for lunch and milk in my latte and it was gone in 3 days. It is harder to be LC without dairy but I have been doing it for years. Even a little makes a big difference so I have none or only a small taste on rare occasions. Guac really takes the place well. Good luck and keep posting progress

Reactions: 10 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

B. Raspberries with cream

L. A slice of ham with Greek salad

D. Bolognaise with courgetti. Tried another flatbread recipe this time made with soya flour, not very successful but I will persevere. :)

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Kristin. I am going to skip dairy today except for one coffee and cream so plan for today is....

B: coffee and cream, blueberries
L: egg mayo and smoked salmon
D: avocado and prawn cocktail

Mmmmm. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: 8 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Thanks Kristin. I am going to skip dairy today except for one coffee and cream so plan for today is....

B: coffee and cream, blueberries
L: egg mayo and smoked salmon
D: avocado and prawn cocktail

Mmmmm. Looking forward to it!
I can't see anything wrong with that line-up (unless there are any naughties in the prawn cocktail sauce).

I'm also going to reduce my dairy too, mainly to attack my LDL cholesterol. I'll be swapping for other fats because my overall fat/carbs/protein mix is pretty good for BG control. Let's keep an eye on each other!

KayeStevenson

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't see anything wrong with that line-up (unless there are any naughties in the prawn cocktail sauce).

I'm also going to reduce my dairy too, mainly to attack my LDL cholesterol. I'll be swapping for other fats because my overall fat/carbs/protein mix is pretty good for BG control. Let's keep an eye on each other!

Sounds like a plan! I'll make the prawn cocktail with prawns (obviously lol), mayo and full fat Greek yogurt. No shop bought nasties!

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Yesterday's delights - I'm now looking to reduce my dairy fats a bit and replace with other fats.

B - Bacon, coffee & cream
L - Turkey salad with mayo (usually have cheese but dropped it now)
D - Shakshuka (spicy tomato stew) with 2 eggs poached in it.
S - Sardines in oil, glass red wine

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday was the 2 of the 5:2

B: Water
L: Water
S: Emergency pepperami stick in the glove compartment for drive home
D: Buffalo Wings, Celery and BlueCheese, before that a small plate of smoked salmon with capers and onion and a teaspoon of cream cheese.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:

B: Coffeencream
S: Costa coffeencream
L: Chicken and leek
D: Chicken and chorizo with onion, barbecue powdered spices and greenery

The highest Libre reading I had all day was after the breakfast coffee. Go figure. I am guessing it was work related aggro pushing it up.

Edited to add: and 3 squares good choc - funny how that slipped my mind. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - Single slice of vegetarian Rye bread (my latest exciting find in Waitrose, which, with lashings of butter doesn't spike me) with coffee and cream
L - Home-made broccoli, feta and pine nut fritters with mixed leaves and cherry toms
D - Mashed avocado on half a Lidl high protein roll, toasted, topped with prawn cocktail,slice of lemon and sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley. Cup of liquorice and cinnamon tea

Recipe for the fritters. I used coconut flour to bind and tenderstem broccoli instead of a head of broccoli.

BROCCOLI, FETA & PINE NUT FRITTERS
Ingredients (makes 8 fritters)

1 medium sized broccoli
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 eggs
1 small bunch of parsley, chopped
150 grams of gluten free flour or buckwheat flour (put an extra 50 grams aside in case mixture is too wet)
80 grams of feta cheese
1/2 cup of pine nuts
1 lemon
Salt and pepper
Dash of olive/coconut oil

Method
1. Chop up the broccoli finely and steam for 5 minutes.
2. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add the flour, garlic, salt and pepper and parsley.
3. Chop up the feta cheese into small cubes and place into the mixture.
4. Place the pine nuts in a fry pan on a low heat and gently roast for 47 minutes or until pine nuts are slightly golden. Once cooked add them to the mixture.
5. Before adding the broccoli into the mixture make sure it is finely sliced. Add an extra 50 grams of flour to the mixture if it is too wet.
6. Heat a large frying pan over moderate heat and add a dash of oil.
7. Scoop 1 large tablespoon of mixture into the frying pan, then flatten it slightly with a spatula. The mixture should make around 8 fritters. Cook the fritters for 23 minutes on each side, or until golden.
8. Place fritters onto a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
9. Drizzle with lemon juice before serving. Enjoy

Attachments

• 1512780_719791591372184_771761859_n.jpg
    1512780_719791591372184_771761859_n.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 189

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
B: Coffee and double cream

S: Whole avocado

L: 2 roasted chicken thighs and 5 spice red cabbage

Work meal: lidl protein roll with guacamole and salad

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
B One Egg One rasher of bacon mushrooms and tomato.
attended my slimming club and I lost 3 pound this week so well pleased.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like a plan! I'll make the prawn cocktail with prawns (obviously lol), mayo and full fat Greek yogurt. No shop bought nasties!

I don't want to sound like a nag with IF you are intolerant to dairy even the little bit of cream and the yogurt will effect you. It is not just cheese. I would say skip the yogurt and use all mayo or I like shrimp with garlic oil . Then either dip in guac or toss with avocado. If you want a true test skip ALL dairy for a week and see what happens?