Eating out at Frankie & Benny's

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I need some advice as I'm celebrating my sister's 21st and my dad's 43rd birthday tonight at Frankie & Benny's and was just looking at their menu and their is no nutritional info for their meals. I'm thinking of having a garlic cheese bread starter and chicken penne Romans, with a slice of birthday cake and drinking diet coke and beer or a cocktail.

My blood sugars in the past two weeks have never gone above 8.5 and yesterday my diabetes nurse has reduced my lunch and tea time novorapid to 14 units, but kept my breakfast injection at 22. My levemir has also been reduced from 26 units to 20 for my breakfast and tea time injections.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What kind of advice are you looking for? Those all sound like perfect choices for a high carb/high calorie diet.

Reactions: 4 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want my blood sugars to sky rocket like they usually do and I don't want to sat a high carb/high cal diet as I've been steadily losing weight and down to 18 stone 5 pounds from 19 stone from the beginning of January.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't want high carb food I think you've made the wrong choices with what you have listed above, all very high carb foods!

Personally if it was me I go for either no starter or just something like chicken wings so that I'm not sat twiddling my thumbs while everyone else is having a starter.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
But never the less you are still aiming for high carb/high cal. If this was me (t2) I would

avoid the starter and not have one (would rather have cake anyway)
For mains in restaurant I tend to rely on chicken with salad or fish/salad combinations, going easy on the dressing and no chips/potatoes.
Leave the diet coke out it is awful stuff. Avoid the beer as well.

I am really not sure why you keep asking people on this forum to validate your food choices. You have been given ALOT if advice over the last couple of years as to the type of diet/foods that could help you.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@akindrat18 You could have prawn cocktail for a starter, or salad and leave the bread :)

If you're watching carbs, I wouldn't choose any pasta dish. I eat a fair amount of carbs and do eat pasta at home, but I find the amounts of pasta in chain restaurants like that is quite large and so has lots of carbs. If you choose a steak or chicken, etc, you can either forego the fries or eat a small portion of what they give you.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@akindrat18 You could have prawn cocktail for a starter, or salad and leave the bread :)

If you're watching carbs, I wouldn't choose any pasta dish. I eat a fair amount of carbs and do eat pasta at home, but I find the amounts of pasta in chain restaurants like that is quite large and so has lots of carbs. If you choose a steak or chicken, etc, you can either forego the fries or eat a small portion of what they give you.

I love prawns and I can have a 8 oz steak with mushrooms, tomato and a salad for under 900 calories. It's much better than a family feast that they have their.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And remember you can always order a side salad or a side of veg if you're going to leave some of the chips. That way you have plenty to eat but avoid too many carbs :)

Enjoy your meal :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@akindrat18 Have you checked out their gluten free menu for meals that are not breaded or battered? They seem lower carb if you avoid the treacle sauce and watch the spud portion size.

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have olives for a starter. Chicken Caesar salad and don't eat the croutons.

JayClubRocker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same problem, i am going there on monday for my birthday. I really wanted a drink, i rarely drink alcohol and just wanted a cocktail. I am probably going to have the steak and chips.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Two points. The first is that when on insulin although you can reasonably eat what you want to you will put on weight if you have too many carbs. Secondly it appears you aren't yet carb-counting which is important in the longer term when on Basal/Bolus to reduce the risk of hypos and enable you to vary the carbs at meal-time. Do ask the nurse for guidance on this. There are courses the NHS runs for this but my DN explained it to me in 15 minutes when I started my Basal/Bolus so it's not difficult. So, as the other posters have said, it's your choice what carbs you eat at F&Bs as long as they are matched to whatever shots you take and avoid weight gain.

Reactions: 4 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As youre are on a fixed dose you shouldn't really go for a low carb meal. Try to eat the same amount of carbs as you would normally do or just slightly less.
Next step is to learn carb counting as that will allow you to adjust insulin dose to your meals

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Well done on the weight loss @akindrat18 - you were 20 stone back in the Autumn. Sad to see you're on insulin now, though.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And remember you can always order a side salad or a side of veg if you're going to leave some of the chips. That way you have plenty to eat but avoid too many carbs :)

Enjoy your meal :)

I enjoyed my meal as I had a pizza, pasta and salad sharer with my mum and dad as they wanted to save on cash and was £8.25 each. I had 4 pints of Coors Light and 2 pints of Diet Coke throughout the night. I took my injections and nearly had a hypo in a club after doing some hardcore moshing. :banghead::banghead:

Hi. Two points. The first is that when on insulin although you can reasonably eat what you want to you will put on weight if you have too many carbs. Secondly it appears you aren't yet carb-counting which is important in the longer term when on Basal/Bolus to reduce the risk of hypos and enable you to vary the carbs at meal-time. Do ask the nurse for guidance on this. There are courses the NHS runs for this but my DN explained it to me in 15 minutes when I started my Basal/Bolus so it's not difficult. So, as the other posters have said, it's your choice what carbs you eat at F&Bs as long as they are matched to whatever shots you take and avoid weight gain.

I know nothing about carb counting, but I will ask my DN about it as she has got me on a fixed dose of Levemir 24 units twice a day and Novorapid 24 units for breakfast and 16 for lunch and dinner.

Well done on the weight loss @akindrat18 - you were 20 stone back in the Autumn. Sad to see you're on insulin now, though.

I've sadly put on 5 pounds when I went to see my hospital doctor, as my free gym membership has now expired and currently looking for a less expensive gym. Also since my last admission to hospital before Christmas, I am now having hormone therapy as my testosterone levels are dangerously low, also I've got to do a strict measurement of my water levels 3 days a week and have got appointments with the clinical haematology, ophthalmology and ENT departments this month and next month as I might have a small pituitary gland.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear about your extra health issues @akindrat18 I hope they can be sorted quickly.

I'm glad you had a nice time at the meal :)

Carb counting is a really useful tool if you're on insulin, and it can help you get better control of your diabetes. Do ask about it and see if your DSN can help with that. You may also be able to see a dietician for help with counting carbs.